Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Lieutenant

I have the forum on a short-cut bookmark when entering.

However today I thought of exploring the site and clicked on 'Home' to get to the front page, www.cruiser.co.za.

Imedeately my security program, (Australian) PC Tools internet security flagged up a message:

PCTIS has blocked acess to a known malicious site: clickserve.cc-dt.com

Would be interesting to get a comment from the webmaster concerning this?

My McAfee site guard does not react, but it must be a reason for the PCTIS to react.

Preaching safety a sea is one thing but what about our safety at this site?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffiman37 View Post
My McAfee site guard does not react, but it must be a reason for the PCTIS to react.
I think the probable reason for your anti-virus program reacting is either a program setting which is too sensitive or a bug or simply something the program finds incompatible. It will be interesting to find out more when the Admin. logs on as he knows far more about these things than I do.

For my own part, I log on mostly from one of three computers. These are running either F-Secure (the corporate version) or Norton 360. Neither of these, in common with your McAfee, anti-virus programs has a problem with this site. Also, if there was a problem I am absolutely certain that the computer I use at work, where security is taken extremely seriously (a Ministry of Defence unit), would block it directly.

Quote:
And you are right, safety at sea is one thing and safety on a website quite another. I just fail to understand how you can group them together. In the one instance it is your and other peoples lives on the line. In the other, at worst, I suspect you will have to fork out $500 for a new anti-virus program. Where is the proportionality? You are attempting to compare the sublime with the ridiculous.

Misunderstand me not. Internet safety is important but before even thinking of accusing CL of poor Internet safety be sure that the problem is not at your end. As you stated, "My McAfee site guard does not react, but it must be a reason for the PCTIS to react." Ask yourself then if there is a problem with PCTIS.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
PCTIS has blocked acess to a known malicious site: clickserve.cc-dt.com

but it must be a reason for the PCTIS to react.

Whatis that you want ? Why do you come to this site if it is malisious. what do you mean our safety?

we went to the home page there was no warniongs.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
imported_admin

@haffiman37

Firstly, I do not understand your agenda for posting this.

Secondly, there is absolutely no danger in visiting any of the Cruiser Log pages.

Your AV has listed "clickserve" as the reason for issuing a warning. Please isolate and show me anything on any Cruiser Log pages that makes Cruiser Log a "Risky Place" to go.

May I suggest that you spend some time in learning how to set up your AV software. My guess is that it is currently over sensitive and certainly incorrect in listing Cruiser Log as "malicious".

I am VERY careful to always ensure that Cruiser Log is (and remains) a safe site for all. THIS IS ONE OF THE SAFEST SITES ON THE INTERNET!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Would be interesting to get a comment from the webmaster concerning this?

This man is not very nice. I think this is a good site where most people is very friendly and try to help. I like this site but this man is trying to spoil it. He should go other place if he does not like this one.

Lotta
Old 01-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
imported_admin

As a matter of interest, "clickserve" serves a small add to WEST MARINE on the Cruiser Log homepage - MALICIOUS? I think not.

Your AV may have blacklisted "clickserve" (I do not know why) but certainly not Cruiser Log.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Why the anger?

I put up he question due to my secuity programs response.

Clickserve.cc-dt seems to be known for some quite aggressive marketing. It is obviously an 'affiliate service' used to get revenue by certain web pages, normally in a 'pay per click' type and the use of 3d party cookies.

If cruiser.co.za does not have anything to do in any way with the mentioned page, just a simple answer: 'We are not in any way linked to or using their service' would have been sufficient, and I would have written it off as a 'false positive' and contacted PC Tools about it.

However if Cruiser.co.za is 'using' their services, perhaps Admin should have a small talk with them about it instead of attacking me for informing about what happened.

Anyone using Spyware Doctor V5 or V5.5 w/siteadvisor, SD V5 + AV or PCTIS will have the same reaction if using the default settings.

But note that I said it has not happened going directly to cruiserlog.com,but from there to cruiser.co.za.

But if you feel for it, go on and shoot the messenger.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Admiral

Why the anger? What do you think is the reason?

It is certainly not the fact that you mentioned the technical problem you are experiencing but rather how you mentioned it, in particularly when you wrote, "Preaching safety a sea is one thing but what about our safety at this site? "

Nobody is preaching here This is a forum for members to express their opinions, give and receive advice and keep up with fellow cruisers in the nicest and friendliest way. The question, as you put it, casts aspercions on the site and infers that we, the Admin & moderators, do not take Internet safety seriously.

In my opinion, if you had not added the final question to your post it would have been a perfectly normal and reasonable query. No one would have takes offence and you would have received a friendly answer to your question. As it stands it is provocative and objectionable made worse by the fact that the problem lies either with your software settings or a third party and non CL.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
imported_admin

Quote:
I put up he question due to my secuity programs response.
Clickserve serves ads to MANY reputable companies as well.

What concerns me is the way you "reported" the issue - by inferring that Cruiser Log is a "malicious" site and giving the topic a heading of "Risky Place To Go To?".

Yes, the Cruiser Log homepage does give a link to West Marine but there is nothing "malicious" about it. Yes, we do earn a small income from this to assist towards the hosting and bandwidth charges of the cruiser.co.za homepage - it is afterall a website that is hosted for the benefit of all cruisers that have free access to it. I make no apologies! I cover the bulk of the costs of the website personally.

Please refrain from "mischief-making".

Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
Ensign

Funny how Haffiman37 manages to get peoples backs up everytime he posts.

I was amused to look at his profile just now and seee that a few of the regular contributors on this site have done the same!

Come on Haffiman; why not fill in some details in your personal profile so at least we all know who's winding us up

Cliff
Old 01-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftondykes View Post
Come on Haffiman; why not fill in some details in your personal profile so at least we all know who's winding us up

Cliff
No need. Heard about Google?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Heard about Google?
This is exactly the type of comment which gets people annoyed.

// Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 01-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

This is not a thing I like to do - but, TOPIC CLOSED.

Let's learn more about the positive side of cruising.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Closed Thread