Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Admiral

Frenchman Francis Joyon made it in 57 days! Wow!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324154,00.html

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Admiral

WHY?

So much to see and all he did (although at an enormous effort) was speed past everything.

It is horses for courses I suppose but I am not in a hurry to get anywhere.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Ensign

I, for one, would not go for it... An astonishing achievement nevertehless. Could you imagine the endurance it takes?!::: Gets me exhausted just thinking of it...

To be happy for a month - get married

To be happy for a lifetime - get a sailboat
maxiswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

WHY?????????, because he had the oppurtunity to do it. It is the daredevils that take anything to it's limit that makes it easier for the rest. Why do cars compete on various tracks, and sometimes not even tracks. To test the limits of not only themselves, but their equipment also, and so do sailors. Even the Friday night beer can races around the bouys are a test of equipment, and humans.

I myself would love the oppurtunity to single-hand the globe NON-STOP! You can always stop,and smell the roses on the next trip, or the one before. The good thing is that we are made up differently. If everyone enjoyed cruising, and being anchored in splendid anchorages. It would get mighty crowded, and not be so splendid. Be grateful that 90 trimaran didn't stop in your anchorage.....WHEW would it be crowded....LOLOLOLOL...HE JUST FLEW ON BY..........
Old 01-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Just from the viewpoint of engineering a vessel to solo circumnavigate non-stop without a genset is a major accomplishment and gutsy to say the least. I know for a fact I wouldn't have the guts to do it alone.

Can't imagine single handing a monster like this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	R007P92_1_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	332

The longest I've been on the water alone was 2 days and on the second day I found my mind wondering off into strange places. I can't even imagine 57 days.

http://www.trimaran-idec.com/multimedia_ph...lanche.asp?id=7

I just finished viewing "Deep Water" last night about Donald Crowhurst. Very disturbing...
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Admiral

Back in '89 a French trimaran sailed into Marigot Bay, St. Martin, with three young frenchmen aboard. AXIAL was a "failed" racing tri, 90' long, 95' wide (yikes! was my first reaction). Jacques, our multihull addict friend, another Frenchman, asked us to take him out to visit the boat, which we did. The fellows on board graciously allowed us to come on board and take a look around. The shrouds were so thick that it took two hands to get around them!

Wow! The amenities were nonexistent. The main hull was a long tube, less than 6' high. There were no cabins, the boys just slept on the sails on the cabin sole. The two amas were hydrofoils, too narrow for accomodations. Because it was a "failure" as a racing tri they apparently bought it very cheaply. The the sails were so expensive that they were v-e-r-y careful when sailing because they couldn't afford to buy new ones.

It was beautiful. Looking down on it from up on a hillside it looked a bit like a water spider. The boys wanted to day charter the boat, but the cockpit was also nonexistent, so it wasn't very comfortable for day-tripping guests. But what a boat.

Marigot is a very large bay, with more than a hundred boats anchored there during the high season, with plenty more space. Axial was huge, but probably didn't take up more than the space that two 40' monohulls might occupy.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
WHY?????????, because he had the oppurtunity to do it.
Whyyyy? Well as sir Edmund Hillary replied when asked why he climbed mt. Everest (the first man to do so with sherpa Teng Sin), "Because it was there".

Yep, I understand that but it would not be me doing it because I want to experience more of the world. I have seen enough water zooming past at 25 - 36 knots when I was a deck officer on container ships. On the other hand, if offered the opportunity to sail the North West or North East Passages I would jump at it. It would be very tough but I would, at least, see something.

It is, as you said, well that we are made differently and, as they say here, "vive la differance" (I am in Belgium at the moment). When I was younger I was a speed freak but now, as an older but not necessarily wiser man, I potter. I enjoy the comfort and stability of pottering!

Vive la difference and here is to him, God bless his little coton socks (even if they are wet and smelly after such a trip).

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Average speed a little over 19 knots for 57 days. Consider my mind boggled. I managed 19 knots once, for about 4 seconds, surfing down a 7m wave in 35 knots of wind, and I don't mind telling you; I was scared.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Rear Admiral

Weyalan,

I guess that would depend on the stability of the boat. The tri is so spread out that the stability is great.. On IMAGINE, 46ft. cat, which is a fairly loaded down cruising boat. Doing 15 knots is not scary at all. I can set a cup of coffee on the house, and watch the waves come at me on the quarter.

Doing 8 1/2 knots in my 30ft. Columbia down the face of 20 ft waves was another story. I had myself braced in the corner, and hung on tight. I must tell you it was the first time I was in weather like that, and I was alone. Now I realize I was on the edge.