Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Ensign

I plan to travel the ICW from NC to Fla. starting on Nov. 1 and will make the crossing from Titusville or West Palm enroute to Marsh Harbor. I am looking for options as to route options to take to Marsh Harbor. On a previous trip on a friend's boat, we left from Titusville and sailed around the north end of the Abacos chain and directly to Marsh Harbor. I believe the trip was a little over 200 miles.

The up coming trip might be double handed and I am interested in what other options people have to suggest.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Depends on your boat. I am leaving about the same time from Port Everglades, Ft Lauderdale Fl but traveling about 6 to 7 mph. There is 2 waterways that you can cut across, Freeport and another west. However draft and mast height must be taken into account. You can always go around to the west side of Abaco or go around the southern tip. All about 200 miles to Marsh Harbor. I like the route via West End as there is 8 to 12 hrs travel between ancorages.

You can go Bimini to Nausa and then up the south tip of Abaco's.

I am looking for buddy boats.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

I have made the crossing a dozen times. I would get farther south, Miami, and enjoy a couple of days in South Beach. Anchor right between Star, Palm, and Hibiscus Islands. Shoot across to Gun Cay, and into Nassau. From there the Exumas are only 37 miles away, and it is paradise. Get as far south as you can, because it only gets better. Then use the Abacos as a last stop to leave the Bahamas. Drop me a line if you want any more information. I am close to Jacksonville Florida.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Ensign

To Marsh Harbor you want to start in West Palm. Leave at about MIDIGHT and head for the Memory Rock Waypoint instead of West End.

You will come onto the banks a bit after daybreak and will have plenty of depth on this route so you don't have to worry about tides or checking in at West End.

From Memory Rock you can head straight to Great Sale Cay and anchor there mid-afternoon for some sleep...about 18 hours total passage so far. From Great Sale you can route to Green Turtle Cay and anchor off New Plymouth to check in with customs at the post office and pay your $300 bucks ($150 if under 35'). Much easier here than elsewhere and a nice little town!

Next, you have to go around the whale cay passage which CAN be closed by rough weather: listen to the cruisers net on channel 68 at 8:15 each morning. After rounding Whale Cay...Marsh Harbor is only 11 miles away.

Leaving port at midnight is a bit scary the first time...but Lake Worth inlet is wide open and well lit and for a fair weather crossing, this is REALLY the best way and I kick myself for all the times we crossed like lemmings to West End instead! Give it a try!!