Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
Lieutenant

I know alot about rebuilt injectors. The perkins injectors you get rebuilt are most from old out dated Lincoln welders. Many of these have set for a long time. The mill work is worn on them and they are not turned for rebuilding.

There is not that much to rebuilding a injector. Most is electronic.

The savings is VERY small. In Cat engines they will not even use rebuilt injectors for warnatee work as the failer rate is 300% more then factory. 300% seems like a huge cost to me when 30-60 bucks more gets you brand new not rebuilt.

This week we have a truck getting a clutch replaced. It is 550 for a rebuilt clutch or 720 for a brand new clutch. The rebuilt has a 100k warantee the new has 350k warantee

The labor is the same on each at 1500 bucks. What would you put in? The warantee dosn't cover labor.

They try to sell the rebuilt. If you do not specify they put in the rebuilt. They say "IT SHOULD LAST AS LONG AS THE NEW MACHINED PARTS"

If the "used"(rebuilt)

parts lasted half as long as the new parts and the repair was covered. I would still loose 2k in the truck sitting for 2 days. I also would be out for the parts.

Using rebuilt and used parts is a gamble. Its a gamble on land I can not afford to take. In the air I do not take any chances. In the water are you willing to take such a chance?

I have learned my lesson about replacing only the burnt out injectors. You replace one you replace them all. Why not do it right and replace them with NEW equipment. For only a few dollars more?

I'll tell ya what. Your heart gose out. You have a choice. You pay the labor either way at 10k a hour.

You get to choose a new part that we cover for 10 years for 100k. Or you get a rebuilt heart that we have looked at and "certified" for 75k. The rebuilt heart SHOULD last as long as the new one. If not we will provide a new rebuilt heart at no part cost to you. Labor is not included. You choose.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #16
Lieutenant

I forgot to add. On the rebuilt heart if you would like a longer warantee it will only be a extra 100 bucks.

Think about it for 100 bucks more you CAN MAKE that part last longer. Rebuilt parts are not all bad, but in injectors. They are basically a insurance scam. They never give you a written deal only a "guarantee". They also allow you to extend this with money. Go figure money makes the part last longer. Its insurance. They know their hedges. They also know MOST folks will loose papers and forget the extra few bucks they have spent.

Look at Best Buy. Last year they showed over 302 million net (after claims) in just extended warantees.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Some items are fine rebuilt.

Like an engine. If it is YOUR engine. A engine you know and have taken care of. Would you rather have YOUR engine rebuilt or have a rebuilt engine put in its place? I know my take on it. Rebuild My engine.

When you play on the cheap with remanufatured starters, injectors and generators. You are asking for early failers.

I would not even send my own injectors off to be rebuilt. I would take brand new every time. I have learned from my past experiances.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #18
Admiral

On the Topic of RUST (other than on Injectors)

Here is a treatment that works time and again without damage (not suitable for deep flaking rust where the metal is exfoliating) The product in some countries is called "Vixol" bathroom cleaner.

it contains Hydrochloric acid 20.00 % (W/W) plus Ethoxylated Nonylphenol 0.70% (W/W).

If you can't find "Vixol" I guess swimming pool HCl is an alternative. The other chemical in Vixol is probably a anti-fungul agent.

Even though Vixol is a bathroom cleaner - it should be treated with great respect :- read this

writeup when the concentration is 33 >>40% :-

http://grover.mirc.gatech.edu/data/msds/50.html

Here are a couple of images showing before and after treatment of an engine mounting that rusted up following a leak of salt water from a mixing elbow - the blue arrows merely indicate paint

which remains on the mounting (to show that it is the same mounting)

Rust.jpg

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rust2.jpg (14.8 KB, 44 views)