Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Ensign

I understand that there are organised sailing groups setting off from the US to sail to the Mediterranean each year. I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction to make contact with the organisers of such sailing groups?

Thanking you all out there in anticipation. Best Regards - John

Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Admiral

I think you might be a tad late. The ARC Europe fleet left Bermuda for the Azores on May 20, so the largest organized crossing rally is done for this year. I don't know of any others. Possibly there is a yacht club or owner's group that has organized such a rally, but I'm not familiar with them. The two gathering grounds in the Caribbean for the annual crossing to the Med are the Virgin Islands and St. Maarten. In the past, the boats left closer to the end of April than now, I haven't heard much about this year.

Hurricane season starts June 1, though it's a rare hurricane that develops this early. However, in June the tropical depressions and tropical waves start rolling across the Atlantic and can offer some pretty uncomfortable weather.

Sorry I can't help further.

J

P.S. See StormW's report Tropical weather

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

For future reference..... www.worldcruising.com/arc/; is the link to get to the fun. It is a great time, and in usually pretty good company....

Good Luck~~!

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Ensign

If you are interested in doing it next year keep me in mind.

I'm doing an Atlantic circuit next winter.

Ireland to Caribbean and back.

So next Spring I'll be leaving the Virgin Islands for Europe and would be interested in competent crew.

My yacht is a very well found Cascade 36.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP' date='24 May 2010 - 10:02 PM View Post

I think you might be a tad late. The ARC Europe fleet left Bermuda for the Azores on May 20, so the largest organized crossing rally is done for this year. I don't know of any others. Possibly there is a yacht club or owner's group that has organized such a rally, but I'm not familiar with them. The two gathering grounds in the Caribbean for the annual crossing to the Med are the Virgin Islands and St. Maarten. In the past, the boats left closer to the end of April than now, I haven't heard much about this year.

Hurricane season starts June 1, though it's a rare hurricane that develops this early. However, in June the tropical depressions and tropical waves start rolling across the Atlantic and can offer some pretty uncomfortable weather.

Sorry I can't help further.

J

P.S. See StormW's report Tropical weather
Thank you for that, I have found the right address now and having information forwarded to me.

Best Regards - John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang' date='25 May 2010 - 06:42 AM View Post

For future reference..... www.worldcruising.com/arc/; is the link to get to the fun. It is a great time, and in usually pretty good company....

Good Luck~~!
Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best regards - john
Old 06-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendence' date='25 May 2010 - 09:07 PM View Post

If you are interested in doing it next year keep me in mind.

I'm doing an Atlantic circuit next winter.

Ireland to Caribbean and back.

So next Spring I'll be leaving the Virgin Islands for Europe and would be interested in competent crew.

My yacht is a very well found Cascade 36.
If you are looking for crew e@mail me at cluainfiaATyahhoo.com

Tags
europe, usa