Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Ensign

I am new to this site so please forgive me if there is already a topic on this. I am ready to leave Gibraltar marina and head out of the Med. I have read many versions of when it is best to leave with conflicting timings given. Eg: HW +3hrs, HW - 5hrs!!!

I would love to hear from yachts that have left and their timings relative to tide, and wind and any hints. I am heading for Rebat in Morocco.

Many thanks.

Tony

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical View Post

I am new to this site so please forgive me if there is already a topic on this. I am ready to leave Gibraltar marina and head out of the Med. I have read many versions of when it is best to leave with conflicting timings given. Eg: HW +3hrs, HW - 5hrs!!!

I would love to hear from yachts that have left and their timings relative to tide, and wind and any hints. I am heading for Rebat in Morocco.

Many thanks.

Tony
Hi Tony,

You are the captain of your ship - so what ever info you get here. It is given without knowing your boat, its condition, its navigation equipment, its communication ability and importantly the experience and qualifications of the crew.

Here are the factors that you should consider:-

#1 When leaving Gibraltar - 270 degrees until you reach the 500ft contour >>

#2 Head 180 degrees until you reach 36d 01' N x 5d 24'

#3 Conditions at that point require that you check your ability to move, check Radio,AIS etc.

# 4 Now you will have to cross the Traffic Separation Schemes, first the East to West and then the West to East zone - one needs to cross at right angles - once across get the boat into the "Inshore traffic zone" a little further south

With the above in mind, It would be prudent to arrive just north of the East West Traffic Lane at around dawn. To do that, the tides and wind in Gibraltar are to be taken notice of, but getting across the traffic Schemes should be your primary objective.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Tony,

Have a look at the book entitled "Straits of Gibraltar", it has the best local sailing info and should answer all your questions. Sheppards or the small chandlery / engine repair shop in Marina Bay (next to the laundry) will have it.

When I left Gib the last time heading for Portugal it was in a catamaran and it was forecast to blow E 6 so I didn't need to look at the tide situation at all, in fact we passed Tarifa under jib alone doing 14 - 18 kts downwind with a big grin on our faces.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post

Hi Tony,

Have a look at the book entitled "Straits of Gibraltar", it has the best local sailing info and should answer all your questions. Sheppards or the small chandlery / engine repair shop in Marina Bay (next to the laundry) will have it.

When I left Gib the last time heading for Portugal it was in a catamaran and it was forecast to blow E 6 so I didn't need to look at the tide situation at all, in fact we passed Tarifa under jib alone doing 14 - 18 kts downwind with a big grin on our faces.
Apart from the tidal atlas which you really should get (any chandler - Sheppards probably the best), the British Admiralty chart of the area is very good with regards to currents.

I have found that you should go with the Levanter - trying to fight the Esteponiente wind is a pig!

The reason you are getting different answers about the tidal streams is because they differ on the Spanish side to the African side. Taking HW Tarifa as the "bench mark", On the Spanish side, the E'ly flow begins at HW Tarifa, becoming up to 2kts Springs, 1 kt Neaps. The Westerly flow begins at HW Tarifa + 6. On the African side, E'ly flow starts at HW - 4 and Westerly, HW + 2. Once down the Straits, towards the Western end of the Separation Lane, roughly in the middle, the Easterly starts at HW-1 and the Westerly HW +5.

You have lots of room well outside the Traffic Lane for the 14-odd mile run down the Spanish side to Tarifa. If you do it in daylight, the majority of the Spanish fishing fleet will be in port selling their catch. Night time can get quite busy with erratic fishermen! You can stay on the Spanish side till the end of the Separation Lanes then cut across smartly to Africa - best done at slack water so that you are not "crabbing" across since you should cross at 90 degrees to the traffic.

The watchkeepers on the ships transitting the straits are alert and on their toes (unlike when they get a few thousand miles into the Atlantic where standards seem to drop). You'll hear lots of vhf chat between ships as they pass and/or overtake each other and if you happen to be worrying one of them, they'll very quickly let you know!

Its a lovely trip if you get it right!! Tony