Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Ensign

I'm planning on shipping (via truck) my Freedom 40/40 from Milwaukee to San Diego late in the fall. Then in March I plan to sail from San Diego to the Sea of Cortez.

I'm looking for suggestions for a marina where I can leave BlueJacket on the hard from fall to March and then re-launch and head on out. I'm looking for a marina that has a good yard in case in run into any issues. Of course they need a crane to step the mast and a 20+ ton travel lift. I'll probably need 1-2 weeks at dock once I launch.

Thanks, Geoff

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Ensign

Geoff,

In my experience, in San Diego or So. Calif., boat yards aren't a cost effective place to store a boat, unless the yard is going to be doing major work over the period of time you mention. They are on Port Authority real estate and that ain't cheap. The storage yards are inland so you would have to pay for off loading from the transport, then pay again to move it to the boat yard in the spring. Boat yards don't normally have marina facilities either.

It would be cheaper to have the transport deliver the boat to a boat yard and have them step the mast for you, that way you wouldn't be paying a lot of "lay time" in the yard, also have them do any other work you need for your cruise. Then move it to a marina. A marina is going to be much cheaper than "lay time" in the boat yard. The South Bay area is the best bet for a 6 month lease on a slip. \

If your not comfortable about leaving your boat unattended for 6 months, then delay the transport until next spring and be in SD for the arrival and launch.

Or, contact the transport company and ask if they have yard where they can hold your boat until you are ready for final delivery to SD. Make sure they will provide for security in storage. They may know of an inland yard that can off load it for 6 months secure storage.

Speaking of security- Something else to keep in mind your Yacht Policy may not cover the boat once it's haul and being transported. The transporter normally has insurance while they are transporting/while on their trailer.

You might want to contact Knights & Carver boat yard and ask them about their recommendation. They have a good reputation and may have some other ideas. There are a few others on Shelter Island but none that could store your boat for a long period.

Just my opinion/experience, FWIW,

Steve

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Ensign

Steve,

Thanks for the sound advice. I didn't understand that most marinas out there don't typically have on-the-hard storage. As a result, if I wanted to store BlueJacket on the hard before launching her, I'd have to use a company like San Diego Boat Movers. They'd charge $500 to offload the boat and another $760-960 to move her to a marina and then the marina launching fees. On top of that it would be $340/mo for storage. That doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

I've checked with several boat yards (Driscol's Mission Bay, Marine Group, Shelter Island and Knight & Carver) and the pricing is quite different to launch the boat, but crane time was pretty similar. At K&C it was $410 + 180/hr crane, Driscol's was $480 + 200/ half hour crane, Shelter Island was $600 + 150 crane, and the marine group was $800 + $180/hr crane. So I can pretty much figure that one out.

Then I need a marina to store the boat in for Oct-Mar. I'm looking for something that has reasonable docks/infrastructure and has good security. Since I won't be there, amenities don't matter much. It was suggested that I look in the S end of the bay. Any suggestions there?

-- Geoff
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Ensign

I didn't even mention Marine Group because I know they are expensive. However, they use to have some storage. (They use to be South Bay Boat Yard, a division of SouthWest Marine (I worked for So.West Marine for a number of years)). You might ask them and Knights & Carver about storage, on site. I don't think Driscoll will have anything to offer. Both Driscoll and Knights & Carver are top notch yards. Marine Group and Knights and Carver are located in the South Bay as are several marinas.

Since the most likely place to get a wet slip is in the So. Bay, there are two marinas in Chula Visa and one in National City. Between the three, you should be able to get a short term slip. The last I heard, the National City marina (don't know the exact name) had slips available. All of the marinas in SD and Mission Bay have good security and just to be safe, you should try to make friends with someone at the marina to just keep an eye that your not taking on water, etc.. The weather is normal mild but this last winter SD experienced 3 bad storms in as many months. My boat is on a mooring (two point) and once parted the stern line and later the bow line. (all new 1" nylon to chain). However, at a marina you would be very secure if you leave her with good lines and chaffing gear. All marinas have electric and therefore you can keep your batteries trickle charging. I've never had any problem finding someone on the same dock to agree to give me a call if they notice any problem. If the marina is any good at all, they will notice a mooring problem and replace it and bill you for the service.

You will like SD as I have. I live in Washington state and keep my boat at the navy marina.

Steve
Old 04-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Steve, good advice you beat me too it.

The only thing to add about San Diego area marinas/boatyards would be that the Driscoll Mission Bay is a different company than Driscoll Shelter Island and the prices are cheaper over in Mission Bay. It's also the only reasonable way to combine marina and boatyard in one place. We re-launched our boat there, btw. We also had it inland at SDBM yard while working on it on the hard. Best deal would likely be just launch the boat at Driscoll Mission Bay and keep it there at their marina in Mission Bay. It is not cheap to store a boat on the hard there. For larger boats (over 50 ft) the slip rates are much better at Driscoll Mission Bay than at the other marinas. The Chula Vista marinas may be comparable, though, for boats under 50 ft.

Geoff, since you're already trucking the boat, you might consider just taking down through mainland Mexico (enter via Nogales? in Arizona?) and launch at Guaymas or nearby on the eastern shore of the Sea of Cortez. The sailing trip from San Diego down Baja isn't a big thrill, I'd personally want to spend more time in the Sea of Cortez than make the run down Baja.

If you're set on seeing the Pacific side of Baja first, you might consider taking the boat to Baja Naval in Ensenada. They are a boatyard/marina and would be a bit cheaper than San Diego but still have decent security.

Also, note, that if your boat is located in California in the December-January timeframe, you WILL be assessed a California personal property tax on the boat at the value that the state of California thinks your boat is worth and then you'll have to argue with them about how long your boat was really in California and how much taxes you should pay (if any). I'm thinking that if it he boat is in CA for 6 months you'll be paying the taxes they asses. Steve would know...

Best of luck!

PS, another better priced option might be to take your boat to the San Francisco Bay area. There are a few boatyard/marina combos that are very reasonable there. In particular, I'm thinking of the Napa Valley Marina--you might want to give them a call. Almost anywhere up the coast is less expensive than So. Cal.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

BoPeep makes a good point about SF being cheaper than SD. 40 foot slips in my marina are 310/month. San Diego was at least twice that.

Idea: If you plan to start in March, start from SF and see the bay, the delta, Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Catalina for a while. Catalina is a GREAT deal in the winter. If you buy a mooring for the weekend they give you the week free. Or you can anchor for nothing. 'long as you are already there, take advantage. The island is pretty and empty, the water clear and somewhat warm. Fishing is good. LA is a short hop away.

If you cruised the coast for seven months, this would also allow you to wait out the hurricane season in SoCal and shake down the boat after your haul.

Ensendada is a good choice too. I spent 4 months in CruisePort on a 36 foot fishing boat and was more than pleased with the security and service. This was in '02, so my information is a bit dated.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

$310 per month in SF? Twice that in SD? Wow, you people get off on the cheap out there!

I thought here on the Chesapeake was cheap....but then I was comparing that to Florida......my $600 per month here IS cheap compared to the $1200+ I paid in Florida....

I would agree with BoPeep on this one....IF you can get the boat thru Nogales right now, and down to Guymas or Puerto Penasco, that would be my first choice as well.....

C

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego