Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Schengen Visas

I have an EU passport and my husband has a South African passport and therefore requires a schengen visa for most of the countries in the EU. How do we get around this problem as have been told he has to return to SA to get a new visa each year. Also the visa only allows 90 days in a Schengen state and 90 days out in a period of 6 months.It is so complicated. How do others resolve or get around this problem when sailing in Europe?

Old 02-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

Here is my 2 bits. I have a EU passport and my wife a Thai Passport. She is given a 3 years "family visa" multiple entry. She is allowed 90 days stay everytime. We never stay longer so we never tried to extend. The embassies tend to insist on issuing the visa in the country of origin or country of residence. As we were travelling endlessly due to my work we had residence in various countrie so never had a problem except once in Singapore. The clerk told us to either get to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur, as we were Malaysian resident at the time. When I asked to see the consul to clarify the procedure the visa was granted !!! Civil servants love redtape, I look at it as a game. Cap in hand, feet firmly on the ground and I am not leaving till I get what I am allowed to

Good luck

Old 02-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Commander

He is eligible for an extension as he is your husband. Falls under "partnership" regulations. I believe he gets a regular visa, then in country he applies for a "permit" based on "partnership" rather then a visa. A permit is an extension of a visa. A visa is the initial travel authority.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Admiral

Here's an interesting thing.

I have an EU passport and my wife had a non-EU passport (although that has changed now). According to the Schengen rules, if I took her to my own country (as I did) then she had to apply for a residents permit in the normal fasion. It took time. However - and here's the interesting part - if you go as an EU passport holder to another EU country than that which issued the passport you cannot be dinied the right to take your spouse with you.

They don't mention that rule very often (if ever) but I have it directly from the immigration authority concerned!

Try and follow up on this - it may help.

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visa