Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Ensign

I am looking at alternatives for the trip from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney. Would appeciate any help from others who have done similar voyages or part thereof. I see plenty of blogs describing the trip up from Australia to SE Asia but very little on the return voyage. Current thinking is to split the trip in two going through Indonesia to Darwin first, March - May, then on to Sydney in the October transition aiming to be out of the cyclone belt by end November. Is going over the top of PNG during the SW monsoon a viable option?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

The reason you don't see much on the return voyage is because you're going against the wind most of the way. The trades in that area are south easterly and pretty steady, so you have to catch your wind window just right. Once you're south of about Townsville it becomes easier but most cruising folks that are around KL start heading west from there.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Admiral

Plenty of Boats leave Thailand-Malaysia-Indonesia for Australia's East coast.

Can give you some options (have a Catamaran which left Taiwan last month - now in the Philippines - passage is planned for it sail north of PNG down to Rabaul then to Hamilton Is in the Whitsundays) Need to know when you intend leaving KL - when would you like to arrive in Sydney. What time restraints will you have.

Richard
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

What I did 16 years ago was Phuket-Langkawi-Singapore- Sunda- Fremantle - Geelong. Well that was plan B.... actual trip involved losing the rig 700 miles west of Carnarvon ( in very light conditions ..Tball failure)... replacing the rig in Carnarvon and then going coastal via Geraldton to Freo.

Original plan A was the same as B but involved going north about over the top of Sumatra.

Going the way we did... I think it was May or there abouts.. we picked up the SE trades just north of Sunda and just kept on heading south.

Did the Freo-Geelong leg in November... whole voyage was a pleasant fair weather run.

Cheers

Frank
Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for your comments. At this point the timing is reasonably flexible. The main constraint being to keep out of the cyclone belt during the southern hemisphere summer. Generally aiming for arrival in Sydney before Christmas 2011 with departure any time that year. I should be able to extend my current assignment as necessary. I don't want to do a straight delivery trip and would like to do as much day sailing as possible, both to see more of the places we pass through as well as minimising the risks of night sailing. For this reason I thought it too much to try and do the trip in one hit during one transition season. Thus am prepared to break up the trip into two legs. Get to Darwin by early May and then wait until later in the year for less adverse winds to do the leg over the top down to Sydney. The other option I have looked at is leaving in June during the SW monsoon going over the top of Borneo and across over the top of PNG. Winds and current are also adverse for part of the way on that route as well. Would be good to hear from others who have done the trip for their experiences and advice.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Admiral

Would be good to hear from others who have done the trip for their experiences and advice.

The passage via the west coasts of Sumatra and Australia plus the southern coast of Australia has very few places to stop - it is one that a delivery skipper might opt for - certainly not a leisure cruise.

Marian and Kieth Fletcher on Tenacity II wrote up their experience of taking their boat from Thailand to Philippines via North coast of Borneo then on along the north coast of PNG then on to Brisbane. I will send you their email address via a PM - mention my name.

Richard

Tags
asia, sydney