Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-26-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default SINGAPORE TO GIB VIA CAPE TOWN

Has anyone got any advice regarding this voyage ?

I have the month by month weather charts already

Steelfan

Old 12-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
imported_admin

Suggest you also post this on the Indian Ocean/Southern African cruising discussion forum at "Cruising Connections" http://www.cruisingconnections.co.za

Tony Herrick of Cruising Connections in Durban has a wealth of information on this region which you wish to cruise through.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi there

I presume you will be going through the Sundra Strait into the Indian Ocean. We have recently compiled a set of cruising notes covering the south Indian Ocean from information obtained over the years from many cruisers and the few publications that exist.

I quote you from the section we have, Australia to South Africa, via Mauritius and Reunion, as this would be the quickest route for you to South Africa.

"The recommended months to undertake this passage are April to June, to be safely at ones desired destination by the start of the South Indian Ocean cyclone season, mid to end November. Expect anything from calms to gales, mostly off the stern, on the initial leg, from Australia to Christmas Island (your first stop would actually be Cocos Keeling)and Cocos (Keeling).

From here onwards, until south of Madagascar, everyting is in your favour, a slight current, and pretty consistent trades from the east to south east, sometimes a bit on the brisk side! This strong wind makes the sea lumpy and uncomfortable. Three lovely and all very different islands can be visited en route: Rodrigues, friendly to the extreme; bustling Mauritius, and the mountainous, very French island of Reunion. It is a very debatable point on how far south of madagascar to sail?

I have done this trip twice, once very close, within sight at times, but in an almost windless situation. The snag was a slight counter current and a few fishing vessels. I wouldn't recommend being this close in a fresh wind! The second time I sailed about 150 miles south, encountering a heavy swell from the south, and a few factory ships and their attendant vessels over the shallow banks.

I would feel that around 60 - 100 miles would be about right, and from that point make a course to north of your destination, ideally either Richards Bay, or Durban, to counther the effect of the strong-flowing Agulhas current. This strategy also avoids the probability of a strong northerly wind sweeping you south. Watch the barometer, and if it starts falling it means a southwesterly is on its way. If it falls rapidly after a notherly, a strong southwesterly is on the cards, with an increase in wave heights probable. Listen to the weather on the net out of South Africa, Peri-Peri or Alistar on SSB, if you have one. Otherwise, trust your 'gut' feel. In an extreme case, very seldom though, a thought would be to run with the wind during its initial strength, seldom lasting more than 10 hours'.

The trip from Durban to Cape Town is reasonably straight forward, very weather dependant though, and we have a cruising guide available covering that area. It is also available off our website www.cruisingconnections.co.za

The above is the most direct route one could do. Your other option would be via the Mozambique Channel and the Seychelles etc. If you want any info on this route I'll be happy to assist.

Fairwinds.

Regards,

Tony

New & Used charts, guides, pilots, flags, ebooks, etc., WORLDWIDE.

https://www.cruisingconnections.co.za
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Tony

Thank you very much for all the information.

We were hoping to leave Singapore in early February and go via the northern tip of Sumatra and the Chagos Archipelago - is the Sunda Strait and Coco Islands quicker/better at this time of year ? The reason for the rush is to get round the Cape before winter - what is your view on this ? We are only a crew of two, but yacht and crew are solid.

Steelfan
Old 01-01-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Lieutenant

John,

I just tried to send you a PM .. but failed. It cannot get through. If you either send me a note with your e-mail address or post same here , I will answer with some details of what I once workered out for the route you are looking at

I stress howeveer, you could NOT get better advice from anyone better than Tony at "Cruising connections." He is the man to guide you, me I'm just a " make belief " planner

rumrunner(Brian)[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]
Old 01-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Commander

Brian, some of us would welcome hearing your info, too. Please consider posting it.

Jack
Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Ensign

Hi Steelfan,

All the best to you and your crew in 2006.

If you plan to leave Singapoore in early February, you would be advised to do the passage you suggest, as until the end of March there is a chance of hurricanes to the W & Nw of Northern Australia. From Chagos, you would have two options: The "quick" route, South of Madagascar as I mentioned earlier, or via East Africa / Northern Madagascar: To quote from our soon to be published "South Indian Ocean Passage Notes" from Chagos " a direct course can be sailed to the Seychelles, and another to East Africa, or Madagascar (Nose Be). If closing close to the northern tip of Madagascar, freaky winds, eddies and strong counter currents may be experienced! A direct route can also be sailed from the Seychelles to the Comores.

SOUTH BOUND, THROUGH THE MOZAMBIQUE CHANNEL TO SOUTH AFRICA

This is a pretty straightforward sail, and it would be recommended to be around the middle of the Mozambique Channel, to take full advantage of the strong south flowing Mozambique current, and further south, the Agulhas current. From about mid channel south, winds may be encountered from almost any direction, and south of 25šS, mostly from the south or north, often reaching gale force.

This area is very hurricane prone during the season, November to April, but very rarely extending beyond 27šS.

Make approach to your desired destination early, as the Agulhas current can be strong, and if coupled by a strong northerly wind, could make one 'overshoot' the destination.

Hope this helps.

With regards, Tony

New & Used charts, guides, pilots, flags, ebooks, etc., WORLDWIDE.

https://www.cruisingconnections.co.za
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote