Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Ensign

My husband & I are new to the sailing world. We are in the process of searching for a yacht on which we can live for our retirement years. We plan to cruise in the Meditterrean. Would welcome comments as to what size of yacht would be recommended for this type of sailing - just the two of us on the yacht. Have heard a comment from an experienced sailor that we shouldn't go over 45' in length. We have been looking in the 50'-60' length.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Admiral

The ball is really in your court on this one. Just add up the pros and the cons.

In favour of a larger boat you have primarily the issue of comfort and pivacy should friends and relatives arrive for a "cruise". A larger boat is easier at sea, usually cooler, can carry more, etc. etc.

In favour of a smaller boat we have costs which seem to rise expodentially with size, and ease of handling with a small crew.

My advice would be to go for the biggest boat you can afford and easily handle with your expected crewing level, remembering the limitations in size and draft your proposed cruising may impose upon you. My boat is small, but that is the way I want it because I can handle her completely alone but she is also big enough for two for a longer period or three for a shorter. Why the designer ever put six berths into her I don't know.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Commander

If you are 'new' to sailing, I would strongly advise you to get some time on the water in various boats so that you can develop the skills required and discover if it is for you, before you take the plunge and spend a lot of money on an asset that you may decide to dispose of as you don't like!

I know it is a wonderful, romantic dream to sail away into the sunset but................ you need to know what you are doing.

Good luck

Ed

Delivering boats for a living

+44 (0) 7932039727
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Commander

Starting your sailing life in the Med is a little bit of a large chunk to bite off. Unless you have considerable experience sailing in good, bad and wild weather it might be more prudent to start closer to home to build some experience.

Assuming no prior experience, go to a recognized sailing school and take all the courses that lead up to getting a "bareboat chartering" certificate. Make sure the school is recognized by the major chartering companies that rent the boats. It is a good idea that both you and your spouse/partner take the classes and get the certificates - - but - - never attend the same classes together. Be sure to have different instructors and better yet different schools.

Then get experience in the southern USA and Bahamas and finally the Caribbean doing "bareboat charters" for a few seasons/years. Build your experience level until you have seen and experience the good, the bad and the ugly that Mother Nature can throw at you.

The best part of this approach is that you will be chartering different size and models of boats and you will develop a feel and like/dislike for certain sizes and manufacturers of boats. Then you can better decide which size/type of boat is best for your desires and aspirations.

You can also bareboat charter in the Med and really get some great experience with the whole different style of boat handling and other procedures in use by Europeans. They have a whole different philosophy about sailing/cruising and the responsibilities of the captain and crew.

Then after several years of all that you will be ready to make the move onto your own vessel. You might even decide that sail is not the way to go now that the power cats (catamarans without masts) are becoming a major presence in the cruising world.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Read a short blog by

http://www.openbluehorizon.com/frontend/index.php

In 8 short days this young man went from sailing around the world. To ditching his boat, because of lack of knowledge, and fear. My heart goes out to him, and I worry about another navigational hazard floating around the ocean I want to travel on. Sailing is not a slick magazine cover. Most of the time it can be, but even those with miles, and years of experience sometimes struggle. Please pay attention to edsailing's advice.......BEST WISHES in what ever decision you make.............i2f
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Hi Dixie,

The Med is not a bad place to learn to sail - relatively gentle weather in summer months - and enough safe ports / achorages to day sail if you have to.

Yes - the comment about 45 foot is IMHO about right. Much smaller will not make for comfortable retirement - much bigger would make it an expensive one!

Good luck

JOHN
Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
Admiral

Hello Dixie,

Check this topic which showed cruising boats on a current Rally from Australia to Singapore,

the range of models and the length of boat now in favour is a good indicator of what cruisers are happy with :- CLICK HERE
Old 10-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
tel
Lieutenant

Hello Dixie. I've had yachts (sailboats) most of my life. I've never owned one bigger than the 36 ft one we now have. We sail around Tasmania, which is the southernmost State of Australia. We have a frontal weather system and it can be wild at times. A lot of the time it's just me and my wife, who is a good sailor. With our weather, I'm not mad keen to go beyond 36 ft, even though we have a headsail furler and a slab-reefing main Mind you, we mainly sail around the coast so don't use self-steering gear. If we did, it may make things a bit easier. Nonetheless, even 36 ft can be a handful when the weather comes in hard. Having said all that, if I wished to go say cruising the Pacif for a few years, I might look at 40 or 42 ft with lots of self-steering, just because we would probably need the room inside. In any case, it's all hellishly good fun. Good luck with our endeavours.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
My husband & I are new to the sailing world. We are in the process of searching for a yacht on which we can live for our retirement years.
I have experienced that problem myself in the past. Me. I want a boat that provides the maximun livable space but no larger than I can safely handle by myself. The latter comment is in case my wife or others on board are unable to help out in an emergency.

Personally,as you can see by my user name, I would suggest a Cat. I'm providing you with a couple of links to check out for your enjoyment!

http://multihullcompany.com/ Many boats here located all over the planet.

http://www.admiralyachts.co.za/ Very rommy for a 38 footer

http://www.alliaura.com For a higher end Cat.

Enjoy!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #10
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairahulls View Post
I have experienced that problem myself in the past. Me. I want a boat that provides the maximun livable space but no larger than I can safely handle by myself. The latter comment is in case my wife or others on board are unable to help out in an emergency.

Personally,as you can see by my user name, I would suggest a Cat. I'm providing you with a couple of links to check out for your enjoyment!

http://multihullcompany.com/ Many boats here located all over the planet.

http://www.admiralyachts.co.za/ Very rommy for a 38 footer

http://www.alliaura.com For a higher end Cat.

Enjoy!
I look at that a tad differently. I want a boat no larger than my 5'2" 108 pound WIFE can handle by her self, unaided by things such as electric windlasses, etc. She's a fine sailor, but I wouldn't pick a cruising boat any larger than 32 feet FOR US. And for US, even that is pushing it.

The male aboard is just as susceptible to being rendered "inoperative" as anyone else aboard.

And I agree on the multihull, although my preference is for a tri.