Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Just picked up stix yesterday in Newburyport, MA and started heading down the coast... the weather was calling for westerlies so I thought I'd put in just a short hop away at Folly Cove for the night and the pick up in the morning and head on down to Hull, MA (since i've decided to avoid Boston.)... the sail down to Folly Cove was easy with no real pilotage in... just an open north facing cove which I hoped would be ok with the calm weather and west winds.....

Some time during the day my brother who is onboard asked "So, why do they call if Folly Cove"... I of course responded that it was probably just a misnomer... that someone back when must have set anchor here during northerly ad been blown ashore.....

Boy was I wrong... We dropped the hook in about 50 foot of water... I put down 200 foot of chain and then some etra rhode for good measure... we were the only boat there and the view was lovely... a very secluded little place with just a few houses surrounding.... After setting the hook I of course took a few bearings to mark our eact position... and kept an anchor watch for a bit... sadly even with the west winds there was a fairly heavy south setting sea and while it was placid when we first dropped the hook it soon became very bangy.... watching out position it was also noticeable that we had drug anchor... about 40 foot in a half hour... and this is not a big cove... at that pace we'd be ashore by dawn.... so time to pick up stix again and on to Hull....

Which was a good run for the most part... we were beating so y brother go sea sick and went to bed leaving me to stand watch the whole night but in the end we are here safe and sound and ust ha d acouple of pints at the local pub which wer generously paid for by a local patron after a bit of conversation...

Moral of the story? Folly Cove lives up to her name......

anyone else know of similar bad anchorages... with or without appropriate names?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Commander

When I was in college I was a member of the Earth Club. Not a bunch of tree-huggers, but more like an environmentally friendly outdoors club. Every spring we would take a trip to swim with Manatees in the springs of the Crystal River. This is on the northern Gulf coast of Florida- a very active boating area. We would rent a pontoon boat and cruise to the places the manatees liked to hang out at- one of which is called "Kings Hole". There are portions of the areas that are cordoned off to keep boats and people out- with hefty fines for violators.

Anyhow, we had stopped near Kings Hole and dropped the anchor (fluke style). Then I donned my mask and fins and dove on it to see if it was holding before everyone else got off. The whole bottom of the area was slime-covered limestone. I swam all over trying to find a place the anchor could be wedged into, since it could get no bite on the rock. Finally, I ended up turning the anchor on its side and putting one of the rods that extends past the flukes into a hole in the rock. It was "iffy", but it did hold us for the hour we stayed there.