Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Solid Engine Mounts

I have recently purchased a heavy displacement Laurent Giles Vertue fitted with a Bukh DV 18ME twin cylinder (1990 vintage). The engine has very low hours and appears to be in excellent condition, however it has been fitted on solid timber engine mounts through bolted directly to the longitudinal hull bearers. The engine is quite noisy; I believe the engine mounts to be the cause as the entire hull seems to act like an amplifier. On the delivery trip we were forced to motor for nine hours, due to lack of wind. The engine performed faultlessly, except for the noise levels, although at the end of that trip I noticed a few hoses had worked loose. Once tightened, no further problems have been experienced.

The solid mounts were professionally fitted a few months ago, probably to save cost. I could probably get used to the noise levels but I am concerned that this set up is not ideal and could potentially cause problems down the track. Bukh recommend flexible mounts, but these cost around A$750 plus the cost and hassle of fitting. Could anyone advise if solid mounts are acceptable on this type of engine?

[?]

Old 07-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Ensign

Like you I am researching flex mounts, for my Volvo MD2B which is rigidly mounted. The vibration has loosened the engine beds, which presents a challenge in my ferro-cement hull. Suggestions welcome. You mention $750 per set of mounts, which seems high. Try a google search and also look at http://www.perfprotech.com/store2/products...?CategoryID=575

Also I have read good things about 'ace' mounts. Try www.acemount.com

My set up has no separate thrust bearing, so any flex mounts I buy will need to be fairly firm. A flex coupling will likely also be needed.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Ensign

The price of A$750 was quoted by Bukh Australia. Like you I think this price is a bit steep. Why is it that when it comes to boats manufacturers seem to think of a ridiculous price and then double it? I am in the process of researching what is availble here in Oz.

Regards
Old 07-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Commander

There are rubber engine mounts available in Australia much cheaper than you are quoted, have a search for 'rubber insulator mounts' and see what that gets. Try you nearest marine engineerinf workshop or if that draws a blank drop me an email and I'll locate my invoice which cost me under $250AD a few years ago, and mine may be a size larger than you need. The benefits is a reduction in noice and vibration that you wouldn't believe.

Regards

Peter
Old 07-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi all. I had a hard mounted Perkins 4108 in a South Coast 36', some years back. I bought standard engine mounts to suit from Repco Auto Parts for a very small amount and then bought a flexible coupling from Onga Pumps...They had an immediate impact on the noise level and served me well until I traded up four years later.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Commander

A good point about the rubber coupling Auzzee. I was quoted $480 by Yanmah but there was only one in Adelaide to cover the whole of Australia, I guess it is still there as I also fitted and Onga coupling which has served me well for under $180AD. If Onga knew the Yanmah price and what I was using the couling for I'm sure there would be a price hike!!

Regards

Peter
Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi Guys

Thanks again for the info. Does anyone have a part number for the Onga coupling?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Commander

Would have to search for the invoice and it probably wouldn't be of much use to you. Go INTO an Onga pump dealer and have a look at the 'cattledog' then use the salesman to confirm the size of coupling. It will be dependent on prop shaft size and horsepower of you particular motor(plus a little bit). Not sure if your located in a city where you will find one but there are plenty in regional areas even around the coast. Yellow pages will give you the answer to that one. I spun the storey that it was for a firefighting pump on a property rather than to tell the truth because I was told that they may not be helpful knowing the true purpose because of the fear of being sued if it didn't work!!

Regards

Peter