Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Somali pirates have attacked a couple of boats again - 250 miles offshore.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

And again! It's getting worse.

"While translating this report from Swedish (my native language), it was our turn to call Mayday. At 16.51, only 28 nautical miles off the Yemeni coast, at 12º 22´N 045º 17´E, a crew member spotted two small speed boats, four nautical miles ahead and fast approaching from either side.

We immediately sent out a Mayday and made a full-speed U-turn. Our call was received by Spanish warship Mendez Muñez, approximately 15 nautical miles from our location and a US Marine Corps surveillance plane was in the vicinity.

Within nine minutes the plane flew over, circling us and the pursuing boats at very low altitude. The pursuers stopped and turned south. The closest they got to us was 0.8 nautical miles (1.5km) - too close for comfort."

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Admiral

I am no war mongerer, in fact pretty much the opposite, but with no vessel safe from pirate attacks in this area, with the exception of warships, I am inclined to ask myself if it is not high time something was done about this? After all, there is no shortage of warships in the area so why does the international community not react more? If Somalia had been an oil state I am sure there would have been action long ago.

Of course, any action taken against the pirates would not be getting at the root of the problem but there are many organisations looking at the Somalli issue. My concern here is for the safety of mariners of all nations.

If others think the same way then please respond. If the response is positive then I think we should lobby the international community for action on this issue.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Yes, I believe it is time to search for some lobby support. The question is where to start and who would have the time and knowledge to spear head such an effort?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Yes, I believe it is time to search for some lobby support. The question is where to start and who would have the time and knowledge to spear head such an effort?
Here is a little more fuel :- CLICK
Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Having, as many of you know, spent some time in the area and concerned with maritime surveilance, I can only really see two possibilities and in both cases they should be international forces doing the job:

1. French led intervention from Djibouti. After all, the French have now good reason to want to put an end to this.

2. A US led force from Aden if the US/International community can reach agreement with the Yemeni government

There is a third less likely possibility, that of a British led force from Mombassa if ageement can be reached with Kenya.

IMHO, option nr. 1 would be the best and easisest to get off the ground as there are significant numbers of French military units there as well as a US base.

Nothing other than the committment of the French US governments supported perhaps by other NATO countries would be required to get this off the ground a the right, or rather obligation, for warships to stop piracy in international waters already exists in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

The question of who is to do the lobbying remains? Perhaps CruiserLog could start the ball rolling?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote