Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Ensign

Well, I finally installed a ICOM-700 SSB in S/V "Anna Lynn" and am really proud of my installation. Several weeks ago I applied and received my FCC License in the mail, and today I got on the air to check everything out. It sounds like everything was working really great, communicated with a fellow somewhere in upper Minnesota however, I got really embarrassed when he started telling me my liciense sounded like the license plate from my car, and that I was talking on a HAM frequency and it was against the law and I could be fined. To say the least this guy was not helpful at all. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what a normal USA SSB liciense looks like, mine has three letters followed by four numbers, and am I permitted to transmit in the .3-30Mz as programed in my radio. And, not but least, any pointers on using my new radio, I really want to use it correctly and not upset other radio operators.

Kurt

Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt O' date='08 August 2010 - 05:30 PM View Post

Well, I finally installed a ICOM-700 SSB in S/V "Anna Lynn" and am really proud of my installation. Several weeks ago I applied and received my FCC License in the mail, and today I got on the air to check everything out. It sounds like everything was working really great, communicated with a fellow somewhere in upper Minnesota however, I got really embarrassed when he started telling me my liciense sounded like the license plate from my car, and that I was talking on a HAM frequency and it was against the law and I could be fined. To say the least this guy was not helpful at all. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what a normal USA SSB liciense looks like, mine has three letters followed by four numbers, and am I permitted to transmit in the .3-30Mz as programed in my radio. And, not but least, any pointers on using my new radio, I really want to use it correctly and not upset other radio operators.

Kurt
Perhaps he didn't understand the frequencies your license allows you to transmit on. I'm a HAM operator and I wouldn't pay any attention to him. Even if you made a "mistake" and were on the wrong frequency, take guys like that with a grain of salt. They get puffed out chests because they think being a HAM operator is something special....when in all reality all it takes is 15 minutes of study and a location that will let you continually take the test till you pass it.....Morse code is another situation of course.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
Admiral

Hello Kut,

Welcom to Cruiser Log

I sent you a PM

Richard
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Ensign

Kurt, It is possible you were transmitting on amature (HAM) frequencies if you purchased a used radio that had been illegally modified for use on all frequencies. To save yourself future embarrasment and possible legal action, check that you are only transmitting within the specified Marine SSB frequencies. Frequency use is determined by law and not what a specific radio is capable of. HAM bands and marine SSB frequencies can be found at http://www.rdrop.com...lmc/freq_list.1 .

Jim
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt O View Post

Kurt
For clarity (presuming you are a US person)

1. You have received a "ship's station license." It belongs to s/v Anna Lynn, not to you. You can not use the Anna Lynn callsign while operating from anywhere else. Technically you need a license for every emitter (transmitter) on Anna Lynn - your ICOM-700, VHF, Radar, AIS and so forth. If you do not operate outside the United States the FCC pretty much overlooks all the other stuff, but if you visit foreign countries they may ask you for a license for all the other gear. In general the standard FCC ship's station license covers all the marine electronics you have on board so I would speculate you are OK.

2. Assuming you are a US person you also need a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit." You get this from the FCC. As I remember there is no fee and it is good as long as you can fog a mirror. This is a personal license that is required to operate from any ship with a "ship's station license."

3. A HAM license (also available from the FCC) is also a personal license. You use it to communicate on frequencies that are completely different than the marine frequencies authorized by the ship's station license. HAM licenses are for non-commercial use. To be useful on a boat you need to pass the exams to get to a minimum of a "general" class license. There is no morse code requirement and practice exams are available online. See The Amateur Radio Relay League Web Site for more information.

4. Most Hams are polite and will explain what is in the email to you. Some are, well, some are ...... But Hams have a long history of defending their use of the radio spectrum from people who don't think that license requirements apply to them.

5. MOST IMPORTANT - IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY ON s/v Anna Lynn you can communicate on ANY FREQUENCY IN ANY MODE AT ANY POWER legally in order to get help. On the east coast of the US the best place is 14.300 MHz, the Maritime Mobile Service Net. They have been helping sailors since the 1960's, they have a fantastic reputation with Coast Guard SAR, and they are really nice people too!

I encourage you to get a Ham license. I have met many nice people as a Ham. Frequently those I have met have come down to the dock to greet me when I arrive in a new town.

73's (its a Ham thing)

W2ZDB (Ham)

WDB8435 (Reboot)

Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Port Canaveral, FL
Vessel Name: OSIRIS

It is very simple to determine what licenses you have. Look at the top of the license and read the description - It will be printed at the top "Ship's Radio Station Authorization" for your boat's radio license. These licenses now include all radiating transmitters on your boat. There is no need to get individual equipment licenses. HAM operators License have printed at the top "Amateur Radio License" and your call sign below. Same thing with the "Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit"
Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Ensign

I just talked with a friend of mine who has been using marine band radio for many years in many places, and he says that SSB radios can receive and transmit on all HF frequencies even if they're assigned for HAM operation only. There is no illegal modification of an SSB radio to transmit on HAM frequencies, so don't worry that there is something wrong with your radio.

Reboot, your information was great, thank you. But you say that there is no Morse Code requirement. I thought that in order to talk on the HAM frequencies you needed to pass a test for a higher grade - technician, I think, and for that you needed to pass a Morse Code test.

I would like to know how a PM to Kurt O helps anyone else understand what is going on. MMNETSEA, what did you say? Anything that could help anybody else?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

None of the US HAM license classes--Technician, General, and Extra require Morse Code anymore. If you have a technical background, you'll probably find it quite easy to get the Extra Class license. In terms of what you need to know for each one--the Tech class is the basics, the General class has loads of memorizing the regulations, and the Extra class is more circuits/engineering. All that info comes from hubby. We have the ship's license, I haven't taken any of the tests, hubby (AJ4BS) took and passed all three in a single sitting (so clearly they're not that bad!). You can find more information here at http://www.arrl.org

You can search the FCC database for your own name and find out which licenses you have registered.

The search engine is here http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by popberger8 View Post

I would like to know how a PM to Kurt O helps anyone else understand what is going on. MMNETSEA, what did you say? Anything that could help anybody else?
Our PM facility is there to send and/or receive a Personal or Private Message.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Ensign

MMNETSEA, are you ashamed of what you sent via PM? You would do better by ignoring me than by insulting the members of Cruiser Log with such a stoneheaded answer. Do you think you might you try again?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #11
Rear Admiral

Click image for larger version

Name:	MissyQ gettting tickled.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1489

MMNETSEA, are you ashamed of what you sent via PM? You would do better by ignoring me than by insulting the members of Cruiser Log with such a stoneheaded answer. Do you think you might you try again?

[size="4"]To popberger8. When I read the above I have many mixed feelings. Whilst I'm 70 - I do remember & practice what my mother taught me when I was a young 'gaffer' #1 - "If you haven't got anything nice to say - say nothing". She also gave me another 'gem' of wisdom - #2 "Empty vessels - make the most noise" Taking this moment out of my 'positive attitude day' - I'd like to remind you of these 'very valuable words of wisdom' - in hope that you will in future especially in these 'forums' pay some attention & not - - have a very rude rant again !!!! - - Thank You. We, all of us 12908 members - do not want to - read your rudeness. I notice that with your large, world cruising yacht & the tens of thousands of nautical miles travelled over many years and the numerous well-mannered cultures you have obviously come to meet & know - - that you missed the best of what life has to offer - - Courtsey & Politeness - - such a shame!! I should - no doubt have just ignored 'your rude rant' however as an ex-pat Canuck - having travelled the worlds oceans for over 50 years & residing in Australia - - you remind me of why I shrink into the background of 'World yachtclubs' when I hear someone with your attitude. I feel sorry for you however I don't want to listen to you in these 'forums' nor I'm very sure does anyosne else. Regards, james aka Silver Raven aka jj @ James Jackson, Far North Queensland, Australia @ jamesavicuclture@hotmail.comClick image for larger version

Name:	MissyQ gettting tickled.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1489
Old 09-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by popberger8 View Post

Many times our members don't realize they have PM's in regards to a thread they've posted in. Here, just like on other online forums you will see the sender of a PM make note in a thread to the addressee that a PM has been sent. A private message is just that--private; but the reminder in a public place can help the individual realize that a PM is waiting for them. A message that they might otherwise miss.

Do you have more questions about this topic of radio that we can help you with? Questions that have not been answered by the thread so far? I hope that the links I provided can help you with this topic.

Fair winds,

Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Hello

Very envious you have a fine ssb, do you have an automatic aerial tuner as well so you can use a whip antenna. Looking thryough my pilot guide for southeast asia, most of the marine radio stations maintain watch on 2182 KHz for emergencies. Funnyily enough the Philippines radio stations do not get a mention in the guide, simply saying that they are too busy to deal with yachts. I think in this part of the world Borneo radio which I believe is operated by an amateur provides typhoon warnings, navigational reportts.

I often think whether it would be useful. I have a satcom phone on the asia net satelite, vhf. I think the static in this part of the world would render 2 Mhz comms quite useless esp at night, but great to have the ICOM if the budget allows.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibsail View Post

Hello

Very envious you have a fine ssb,
G'day there 'jibsail' Nice post !! Informative - helpful - polite & a positive reply ! - - I thank-you. Think we need to turn this over to MMNETSEA as Richard is much more 'in tune' with the - - 'at the coal face' - - requirements with this matter & is in these areas (of the ocean) . Many of the 'warnings' & alerts we get are in fact from MMNETSEA - by the way. Thanks for that, james - down-under - - Ciao
Old 09-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Ensign

I may have missed it but it seems there is some misinformation in the previous posts. The original poster apparently used his marine SSB radio to transmit on a ham radio frequency. That's against the law unless you have a Ham License and probably a General Class Ham License in this case. Many marine SSB radios are capable of transmitting on the ham bands without modification. It is legal to use a Marine SSB on the ham frequencies as long as you have an Amateur (appropriate Ham) license. All but the Ham Frequencies are blocked at the factory on an amateur (Ham) SSB radios. Many amateur radios can be 'opened up' to transmit on the Marine SSB frequencies but it is not legal. Marine Radios supposedly have much tighter frequency control than that of amateur radios. Supposedly transmitting on Marine SSB frequencies with a modified Ham Radio transmits on two wide a frequency spectrum causing interference with other channels.

Ham SSB radios typically cost a 1/3rd to 1/2 as much as a Marine SSB radio. Don't know whether that difference in price is due to better frequency control. design for a marine environment or just the "Marine' designation on the label.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
ly have much tighter frequency control than that of amateur radios. Supposedly transmitting on Marine SSB frequencies with a modified Ham Radio transmits on two wide a frequency spectrum causing interference with other channels.

Ham SSB radios typically cost a 1/3rd to 1/2 as much as a Marine SSB radio. Don't know whether that difference in price is due to better frequency control. design for a marine environment or just the "Marine' designation on the label.
Marine radios are made fool-proof for idiots to operate. HAM radios typically have many more controls and settings which allow you to adjust bandwidth, etc. This is why it takes training and a HAM license to operate the HAM SSB. The additional marine radio cost is the "idiot tax" IMHO. There is no "better" frequency control with a marine radio but rather you don't have to think about what you're doing with the Marine radio whereas you do have to think about what you're doing when you use the HAM radio.

Fair winds,

Tags
ssb