Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Ensign

Goodday,

I'm still looking for a blue water boat and just found a 1979 Explore 45 for sale in my area. Does anyone know anything about the Explore 45 cutter rig designed by Stan Huntingford? Mainly what are it's blue water capabilities,... righting motion and the like?! Any opinions?! Here are the specs I have so far:

LOA .....45'3" Ballast.............10,430 lbs

LWL.....34'0" Displacement.....30,000

Beam....13'0" Sail Area...........861 + sq ft

Draft.....6'8" Water...............198 gallons

Engine...35 HP Fuel.................175 gallons

Perkins 4-108

Extensive sail inventory

6 man Avon life raft in valise

Teak interior

Stainless and teak wheel

Force 10 barbecue

Two heads

8 berths

Spacious after-stateroom with ample headroom

Efficient U-shaped galley

Gimbaled propane stove

Norcold 12/120 refrigerator

45 pound CQR anchor

Furuno 16 mile 1720 radar

Raytheon VHF radio

Signet Fathometer

Signet Knot/log

Ritchie compass

Signet wind direction/speed

EPIRB Class B 243 type

Manual, double action, two speed, lever activated anchor windlass

Cheers!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Admiral

Hello There,

Sometime ago I spent some time with the late Stan Huntingford at his home on Vancouver's North Shore when I was interested in his Maple Leaf 42 being built by Cooper Yachts nearby. I had the pleasure of sailing with him on a friend's Explorer 45 . A very comfortable boat - I seem to remember that it was a centre-cockpit ketch with a staysail which I guess would make it a cutter rigged ketch ( therefore might be the same design as you are looking at)

It sailed very well, certainly a boat that could sail the bluest oceans.

Here is a link to another one - which certainly has held its value : - CLICK

Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Ensign

Attached is some info the seller sent me.
Attached Thumbnails
Image0001.JPG  
Old 11-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Ensign

Here is another one. Looks like a blue water boat!? What do you think? Any one have 2 cents to throw at me?
Attached Thumbnails
Image0002.JPG  
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi,

I bought a Explorer 45 last year and I am really happy with her. Boat had sat for 5+ years when I got her, but took her down coast of California from San Francisco to Morro Bay no problem. Spent about a month in the Channel Islands this year and was really happy. Boat was comfortable at sea and anchor. Plenty of room for my two kids and all the toys (surfboards, kayaks etc.) She sails really nice in all conditions makes about 7 knots average. I brought her back around Pt. Conception dry and comfortable. I do not think you can go wrong. If you want to discuss further, let me know.

Cheers, John
Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
CapnBazza

Home Port: Bowen
Vessel Name: Tiburon

[QUOTE=name='SurfingSS' date='Nov 4 2008, 05:20 AM' post='27370']

Goodday,

I'm still looking for a blue water boat and just found a 1979 Explore 45 for sale in my area. Does anyone know anything about the Explore 45 cutter rig designed by Stan Huntingford? Mainly what are it's blue water capabilities,... righting motion and the like?! Any opinions?! Here are the specs I have so far:

G'day Mate.

We owned the Spirit of Wychwood Explorer 45 for about 8 years and spent 7 of those full-time cruising. We sailed her from Sydney up the Australian East Coast, spent 2 years in the Whitsundays then headed off from Townsville to PNG, Micronesia and the Phillipines. The Explorer 45 would have to be one of the most comfortable Seaboats we have ever cruised on. We also left many others, including light weight Cruiser/Racers in our wake and we survived Typhoons, Cyclones and even pirates.

If you have bought her by now, congratulations. If you have not and she's still available, get her quick! If you've bought something else, commiserations, better luck next time.

Warm regards and good sailing,

CapnBazza and Admiral Roz.
Attached Thumbnails
Spirit01.jpg   BudiOutrig___SOW.JPG  
Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: bastia
Default quality of construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymac View Post
Hi,

I bought a Explorer 45 last year and I am really happy with her. Boat had sat for 5+ years when I got her, but took her down coast of California from San Francisco to Morro Bay no problem. Spent about a month in the Channel Islands this year and was really happy. Boat was comfortable at sea and anchor. Plenty of room for my two kids and all the toys (surfboards, kayaks etc.) She sails really nice in all conditions makes about 7 knots average. I brought her back around Pt. Conception dry and comfortable. I do not think you can go wrong. If you want to discuss further, let me know.

Cheers, John
Hi John,
I'm looking at a ketch version for sale (south of France).
How would you rate the quality of construction: deck to hull join?, construction methoc for the teak laid deck?, leaks near or about portholes,deckmounted hardware?, strengh of bulkhead attachments?
Thank you for any input