Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Medina
Default Suggestions please

I'm 44 with little sailing experience except on friends boats. I owned a houseboat on the river for years but nothing in the ocean. I'm planning to enroll in a sailing course this year in Florida and begin learning. My goal is to buy a 38-44 foot catamaran and sail extensively with my sons(14 and 7). Not in 5 years but next year. We have friends in New Zealand, India,UK etc and would eventually like to make those journeys. I'm not worried about repairs. I fully have that ability but sailing experience and safety is my primary concern. I just want to show my boys the world and not just what they see on xbox or the tv. I want them to experience the world and the wonders it holds.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Do it. Safety and sailing experience are those things you can pick up on the way. A view of the real world imparted to a 7 or 14 year old child sailing on the ocean is an experience that will stay for life. To have an appreciation of why coral beds, sea grass and turtles are more important than Xboxes and sustained economic growth is something that will make your sons better people, in a way that cannot otherwise be matched.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Sherwood Park

I congratulate you on making the decision and actually setting the date. This is an important step.

No I will preface this by saying I'm not an experienced sailor (no bluewater).... but... Our family has a very similar plan. We are a family of 5 with our kids being 8 6 and 4. Our planned departure is Oct - Nov of 2015.

Everyones path will be different, but here is how I approached it. First, I purchased a couple of good books on the fundamentals of sailing (sailing bible, complete sailing guide). Second I purchased an 18 foot pocket cruiser and sailed the crap out of it this season (on a local lake). Third, I follow numerous blogs of families doing this exact thing. Fourth, I spend time on the multiple forums reading the vast amount of knowledge posted. Finally, I will be booking ASA 101, 103, 104 and 114 for early spring of 2015 (I have already been studying 101).

Now the one area of caution is about the forums. Although there are vast amounts of knowledge out there, there is also vast amounts of improper knowledge. Plus some "unique" personalities that can really turn the conversations sour quickly. Some forums are more friendly than others (this one), and some are very sour (CF). You need to take what you read with a grain of salt.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Medina

Thank you for the replies. I traveled just about everywhere for work but I would finally like to see it at less than 30,000 ft. I'm really excited to get started