Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Surveying a boat

I have spoken to many people who realise the need to employ a good surveyor when they are considering the purchase of a sailing yacht. A good proportion of these people make the decision to back their own judgement rather than pay upwards of $1000 for a survey.

I have heard many tales over the years of surveyors who missed significant problems and, of course, there is always a disclaimer which circumvents legal recompense. And even seasoned sailors, who genuinely know sailing boats, miss many obvious problems when inspecting an older boat.

I have recently bought the most helpful volume by Dan Casey, 'Inspecting the Aging Sailboat'. For anyone considering buying a 'new'boat, I seriously recommend you buy this volume. They are available new from Amazon and second hand from eBay. This book has the potential to save a new boat owner thousands of dollars and will make you a more knowledgeable boatie.

Mine cost me US$10.74

Bargain!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:19 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Kindle version for instant download: US$9.96

Nice find.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I see it on Amazon here used from as cheap as $5 and new for $12 something. And, yes, there's the kindle version too. A good value indeed. Even with a surveyor, it's nice to know how to inspect your vessel yourself.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have probably written about this item before, but it's worth a repeat. I was enjoying a discussion last weekend with a legendary sailor friend (Whitbread winner and Navigator of the Year 1978) who is probably the most knowledgeable sailor I have ever met. We were talking navigation, sextants, RDFs, GPS and other such things during my visit to he and his wife on their Hunter Passage 42.

The subject changed to what we thought is the best modern development to make life easier and more enjoyable aboard. With little argument the consensus was the Amazon Kindle. Gone are the days of stinky, yellowed pages, stuck together by time and salt air. In my case my Kindle took the place of over 100lbs (50kg) of novels.

I still have many reference works on board, but for recreational and educational reading, there is nothing better than an e-reader. My Kindle has never failed me and it is now almost 8 years old.

The books I have on there (some of which may have arrived through 'the back door') would fill a decent sized library.

I could still sail with a sextant, an RDF, and a lead line if push-came-to-shove. But the Kindle's place in my sailing life is not negotiable.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat