Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-20-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Ted Hood bio? history?

I am trying to gather information (history, opinions, thoughts... anything)about the history of Ted Hood and his sailboats. Especially the 'Little Harbor's'. I am having difficulty finding much online...it seems little harbor is/was a line of sailboats as well as a physical place on the east coast where he eventually set up 'shop' to build his own boats rather than continuing to design for other builders(such as S&S)...(is this right?).[?]

at the very least, i've perceived that his work is considered in high regard by most enthusiasts...but i would like to know more.

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:30 AM   #2
Admiral

I just did a Google search on "Ted Hood" and got lots of information. Barring going to his boatyard in Newport, RI, I think there's plenty to chew on. LIttle Harbor was a part of Marblehead, Massachusetts harbor.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Ensign

JeanneP,

(16 years!...that is great...keep cruising...i hope to do the same soon!)

thanks...though i did a few google searches too...i was able to find some info on the history of ted hood...not all that i hoped to find...i'll keep looking. i have also sent inquiry e-mails to 'Little Harbor' brokers in Portsmouth.

i am trying to educate myself on who built the early 'Little Harbor' boats (it sounds like it was more than just one builder). There is one for sale- It is a 1964 steel yawl. ultimately i'd like to know who built steel boats of the 'Little Harbor' design in '64 and perhaps understand how 'that' builder may have rated against other builders/yards (who built the same design) during that time & how others made by the same builder may have faired over the years.

i've been keeping an eye out for boats of this size & spec's for awhile and am considering looking at this one. Generally, i have been looking at "newer" used boats but may pursue this one too as i'm aware of the fine reputation of Ted Hood. It also happens to be relatively close in proximity...and within my budget. Having said this, my concerns are: it is an older vessel, she is steel (electrolysis?) and i believe this is before Ted Hood was building his own boats...which i'd need to know more about the builder & anything else.[:I]

best,

max

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:25 AM   #4
Admiral

I'm no authority on makes of sailboats, but it was my understanding that "Little Harbor" referred to the builder rather than to the model. Most boat listings will tell the yard where it was built.

Now for my prejudices. I do not like steel boats for many reasons. Regardless, all my reading about boats indicates that a steel hull on a small yacht is not going to last 40 years - the steel plates were thin to begin with, and after 40 years of sandblasting and repainting the plates will have worn significantly. The worst problem with corrosion is in the hard-to-see places (bottoms of lockers, under the engine pan, etc.)

I remember a steel boat for sale in Pago Pago, American Samoa. People flew out from the States to look at the boat, bought it, and almost sank it trying to sail it to Tonga or further to have work done on it. The corrosion had worn the hull so thin that they were seriously concerned about their welfare. It was cheap. And not worth what they paid.

Ted Hood most likely had nothing to do with a 1964 boat, but even if he did, the reputation of the builder of a 40-year-old steel boat is not nearly as important as the care the boat received by its owners since it was built.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote