Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Ensign

Dear all

I need to get a trip from Phuket to Egypt organized. Boat is a 60ft. single engine trawler, custom built with a 2000 miles range.

We have only basic cruising and sailing experience and are grateful for any kind of feedback, even the most basic one. From initial research January seems to be the season to leave Phuket....!!?? Any ideas about where I could find some infos to get started or anybody out there done it before or able to provide the basics.

A I said, any help very much appreciated. Thank you very much. Michael

Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Michael,

You want to be in Nai Harn Bay , South West corner of Phuket Island Click image for larger version

Name:	Nai_Hahn_Bay.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	535

on New Years eve 2008 - all fueled and provisioned up - total crew including Skipper 4. leave in company with others on 2nd January 09 - head first for the Sombrero channel , Nicobar islands then a way point which will take you to the Uligan atoll in the northern Maldives - take on fuel - Then head directly for Salalah in Southern Oman - take fuel - join flotilla for the Gulf of Aden .

See our WIKI on the G of A.

Once past Djibouti or Aden and entering the Red Sea - we can provide more info etc.

Need to know a little more about the trawler - stabilization - comms on board - email etc - crew - Navigation - time restraints . Average speed potential etc...................................etc

Richard

Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Richard

Thank you very much for the quick response. I will meet with the builder of the yacht shortly and get back with more info and details on the yacht. The boat is 95% completed and almost ready for launch and needs to be delivered to Egypt.

I appreciate any links or material to study to my email address: homeless007#gmail.com

For the moment thanks again and talk to you soon!

M.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Hi,

Regarding fuel at Uligan, depending on how much you need you may have to wait awhile to get it. There is no fuel shop, just guys who sell "surplus" diesel from the islands generator. If yachts ahead of you have taken on a lot you may have to wait. Last year I wanted 100 liters but they only had 60 to spare. The fuel comes in 20 liter plastic cooking oil containers that you dinghy out your self. They are building a resort there so this might make it better in the future. If you need tonnes you would be better off going to Male or Sri Lanka or Cochin. Hope you have a great trip.

Regards, Stephen

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

There is also some info for you on the Cruising Wiki section - Passage from SE Asia to the Red Sea.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Admiral

Hello M,

I have sent by email the links specifically regarding Uligan in the Maldives and the procedure to get fuel.

I repeat them here for general consumption :-

The first is a link to an excellent writeup by the then owners of Heartsong III ULIGAN FUEL

I understand the information is still valid. Having spoken a number of yachts who called in there in recent past.

The next is the link to Amsco who give the authority to provide the fuel :-

AMSCO If you are emailing them here is the add :-

amsco#dhivehinet.net.mv

attn Abdullah

Richard

Tags
egypt, thailand