Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Ensign

Default THE BLACKLIST (ABOUT PLACES WHO WANT TO SCREW YOU)

THIS FORUM IS ABOUT BOATYARDS, RESTAURANTS, FACILITIES, MARINAS, AND ANYWHERE ELSE THAT WE, AS CRUISERS HAVE HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE AND WANT TO WARN OTHERS. IN FACT, ALONG THE WAY, SO MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT OUR MONEY AND DONT PERFORM. PLEASE TELL US, SO WE CAN AVOID THEM. WRITE WHAT THE "CRUISING GUIDE" DOES NOT TELL YOU!!<font color="red"></font id="red"><font color="red"></font id="red"><font size="3"></font id="size3">

Old 06-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
imported_admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
THIS FORUM IS ABOUT BOATYARDS, RESTAURANTS, FACILITIES, MARINAS, AND ANYWHERE ELSE THAT WE, AS CRUISERS HAVE HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE AND WANT TO WARN OTHERS.
This forum is mostly about the GOOD experiences we have and mostly about information about MANY cruising/sailing topics that we share with one another.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Admiral

Our experience over the past 20+ years is that in general, the world is a pretty nice place, with some very lovely people. I try to maintain a sense of humor when we are in some of the poorer places of the world, and all the people trying to pry loose some of the "rich American's" money. It is easy to smile, I find, because it is not usually malicious.

My biggest surprise over these years is that some of the poorest people are also some of the most generous. Perhaps not in material goods, of which they have so little, but with friendship, a smile, and help for all those little things that only overwhelm you when EVERYTHING is a chore to accomplish.

I was not put onto this earth to look for, or report, bad things. I would like to pass on to others so they, too can pass on: the good, the helpful, the useful, the wonder of this world.

(step off soapbox)

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Some of my FAVORITE places were / are: the Virgin Islands, Malta, Egypt, Eritrea, Santorini, Turkey, Thailand, Bali, Borneo & the Philippines.

Oh! and Yap was really nice!

and how could I forget Palau?

I really don't think we've ever been cheated or treated badly anywhere... not that I recall, anyway.

We have, however, met a few butt-heads out there... but I believe they were all in Yacht Clubs with names that began with the word "Royal".

Kirk
Old 06-28-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
Admiral

Kirk,

You hit the Royal Nail right on the Royal Head there mate!

A friend of mine when asked if he would like to join the Royal Cape Yacht Club replied, 'thanks, but I prefer sailing'.

My sentiment entirely - although there must be some nice guys in the Royal Clubs too.

Cheers

Stephen

The very un-royal yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Who really wants to see this in print? All you have to do is monitor all the ham, cruiser ssb and local vhf nets while cruising various areas of the world.... The info is real time and the bad apples know cruisers "talk" and usually clean up their act. People like seasons change!!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
Ensign

Hello fellow boaters,

I agree with you guys, we too have had a lot of good experiences and that why we are still sailing full-time. But cruising life is not ONLY pink and roses. We are talking about a reality of life that, nobody likes to be ripped off or taken advantage of by anyone. I don’t care if it is “malicious” or not. $50 here, $2000 there…it all adds up fast.

We are not directing this at “poor people” but take this boatyard for example, “Riverbend Marina” in Ft-Lauderdale that doubled the price tag of the work done and kept the boat as hostage for a non due payment.

Or consider the guy who calls himself “Mr. Busy” in Samana, Dominican Republic that seized a sailboat and Passports to collect $7,000 for a simple towing to the Marina.

What about when you go out to have a nice dinner in Spanish Wells, Bahamas at a restaurant called “A Touch of Class”. You order the Surf and Turf, priced at $60 only to find out too late that it is a 3oz steak and a handful of over-cooked previously frozen popcorn shrimp floating in a small pool of melted margarine.

Back to Samana again, these locals that steal every dinghy they can get their hands on, not caring one bit that it doesn’t belong to them… again another good reason a blacklist forum should exist.

How about when you are taking the dinghy back to the boat after a fun-filled night of beach-bar-hopping. Half way back, you run out of gas, because some local punk kid siphoned all of the gas from your tank and you have to row back. Are you smiling then?

If one day a Blacklist becomes well known amongst cruisers, these businesses might start to care a little more and make an effort not to end up on the list. There are HUNDREDS of cruising guides, books and websites like this one where you can read all of the sugar-coated where-to-go info you want. Why not have JUST ONE place to warn other cruisers of where NOT to go and who to not deal whit?

I am pretty sure that if you knew about a bad experience that happened to a boater in a place near you, you would think twice before doing business there.

Finally, this forum does not impair your own judgment. I am guessing you are all adults, and therefore free to make your own choices where you do business.

It’s about time for a blacklist forum to exist. Sharing experiences is supposed to be helpful. Our only goal is to share ALL kinds of experiences, and hopefully save boaters A LOT of headaches, and hopefully a few dollars, too

Thanks for hearing our point of view.

Gate & Darby
Old 06-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
Admiral

There was the cruiser who told everyone who would listen about his horrible, horrible experience in ****, VZ. Concerned, I mentioned it to another cruiser we knew fairly well. His response? "I'm not surprised, but that guy got what was coming to him, he's HORRIBLE. I've been expecting somebody to sink his boat one of these days he's such a bad apple!"

Then there was the fellow who wrote in the SSCA Commodore's Bulletin about a computer hardware/software package that was so bad that the dealer was supposedly "suing the supplier". It took more than 3 months for my letter to be printed (we were on the other side of the world, and it took more than a month for us to receive and read the bulletin) - we had the same software/hardware package, and it worked very well. The problem with the fellow who complained was simply that of an inexperienced person misusing it.

And there's Peter and me. There is an island in the Caribbean that we truly dislike, but our reasons are not good enough to spread our distaste for the place to others. Particularly since so many cruisers like the place.

On the other side, there are some places that we really, really liked, which we have no qualms passing on to others, but we understand that not everybody will like these places as much as we did.

I am uncomfortable passing on information obtained from a total stranger who I haven't met, but just heard from on the Internet. There is a malicious person who has posted some pretty outrageous things on various cruising forums lately. I would hate to have some honest and responsible business harmed because some nameless faceless person was just having a bad day or has an axe to grind.

As BJSmith said, you can get the information in real time from other cruisers in the area. People you can meet and get to know. People you can ask questions of.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 06-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Ensign

Jeanne, we understand your point of view perfectly, so I suggest you log on to another forum and let us express ourselves under the “Freedom of Speech” principle.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Gaetan, I have to agree with Jeanne. There are people in my part of the world who are either gods or devils, depending upon the perspective from which you view them. Some are suppliers, some service providers, some are cruising yachtsmen. I hope you keep in touch with this forum and that one day you develop the same degree of credibility through its annals, as has Jeanne. Meanwhile how about a bit of positive comment to some of the serious cruising issues which are exposed through Cruiser Log forums.David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #11
imported_admin

@gaetanc

Quote:
so I suggest you log on to another forum and let us express ourselves under the “Freedom of Speech” principle.
I absolutely respect your principle.

However, this forum is a very happy one and I do not appreciate your comment directed at a moderator. JeanneP has assisted me immensely in maintaining "sanity" on these boards and is a HUGE contributor whose knowledge of the topic and sage comments I absolutely admire.

If these forums do not suite you then perhaps it is YOU who should logon to another forum - there are many which allow "flaming".

Perhaps you may wish to reconsider your remarks and remain here, on a board that is extremely helpful and friendly. You would be most welcome under those circumstances and we would look forward with great interest to your positive contributions.

Admin
Old 07-01-2006, 01:13 AM   #12
Ensign

A topic is a topic. It’s not a big deal.

We too want to help other cruisers by sharing information, that is why we raised this topic. If you are so fortunate to never have any bad experiences, you shouldn’t need to comment on a post that is about sharing bad experiences. If you don’t like a topic, move on to the next one. It is that simple. What else can I say, you are telling me to not write what I wrote when I never said anything out of line or offensive.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
Ensign

Compromise ?

How about an ORCHID & ONION award - invite personal bad experience and end with a wonderfull experience - ie a positive note...

Like This :-

<font color="brown">ONION...</font id="brown">

CUBA - HAVANNA - wandering around looking for live music - find a pleasant couple who befriend us and show a strange 3 peso bank-note and offer us double normal exchange rate (Yes I had had a few drinks) and guess what - took us for $50 - I still grin when thinking how slick it was and put it down to a wonderfull fireside shared experience in my dotage...

<font color="red">ORCHID...</font id="red">

Taxi driver in Puerto Plata DR who bargained down to half the normal rate, who promised air conditioning (open the window = AC) and then stopped in the middle of a cane field, hauled out a wicked machete and sliced a sample piece of sugar cane for me to chew (no charge) - & delivered us right too the jetty...

PS I love the DR. (but not been to Samana)
Old 07-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
Admiral

Krissteyn, what a great idea!

SY WATERMELON |

Old 07-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by gaetanc

A topic is a topic. It’s not a big deal.

We too want to help other cruisers by sharing information, that is why we raised this topic. If you are so fortunate to never have any bad experiences, you shouldn’t need to comment on a post that is about sharing bad experiences. If you don’t like a topic, move on to the next one. It is that simple. What else can I say, you are telling me to not write what I wrote when I never said anything out of line or offensive.
Hi,

I believe you've missed the points being made by others.

1. This site is actually more enjoyable and useful when it contains good news as opposed to bad news.

2. Most bad news expoused by sailors is usually only a single persons opinion - and overall it may not be a true reflection of circumstances. One usually finds sailors are pretty opinionated - and suspect from your tone you'd be one also.

3. These sites cost money to set up and run, and moderators and administrators are often volunteers who set aside a lot of their private time to help create something others can enjoy. So quoting freedom of speech as an excuse and asking them to move over just because you don't like their views - is a bit of an insult.

With respect - if you don't like the site, why not follow your own advice and move on?

Cheers

JOHN