Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Ensign

The Interview With A Cruiser Project

This seems like a good place to ask around for suggestions on people to interview. The project is described below (same description I posted on another forum, if you've read that part just concentrate on the new top stuff here ).

If you have been cruising outside of the US & Canada for more than 2 years and think it would be fun to answer 10 questions about cruising (for example interviews, see the website), please nominate yourself by emailing iwac.project@gmail.com

If you know someone that you think would be a great interviewee that fits that bill, please also email iwac.project@gmail.com

---------

The second interview went live today with Pat & Ali of Bumfuzzle and over the next 3 weeks I have interviews already in hand with SV Sereia, Esper & Annie Laurie. Interviews come out on Mondays.

You can subscribe to receive notification of new interviews via email, feed or twitter by using the links at the bottom of any page on the site.

Feel free to link the project on any site/blog/forum or if you want a nice looking badge, see the html posted on the site on the right side bar.

About the project

Purpose. The purpose of the project is to record some of the wisdom of the masses of cruisers who are out there on the water for the dreamers and planners still at their desks by using a focused interview format.

Participants. The interviewees are cruisers who have been cruising outside of the US & Canada for more than 2 years. The interviewees are not in any way selected randomly but this is not a closed pool. Anyone may suggest themselves or a friend for an interview. See the FAQ page for more information.

The interviewer is Livia from SV Estrellita 5.10b.

Method. In addition to a starting pool of questions that Livia generated, readers of her blog were asked for questions, interviewees are asked to generate questions, and readers of The Interview With A Cruiser Project are encouraged to submit questions. As you can see it is a steadily growing bank of questions. Each interviewee is asked 10 questions via email, drawn from the larger bank. As the base of interviews grows, there will be overlap with each question eventually being answered by multiple cruisers. The Project is designed so that readers can sort the interviews to see all interviews that addressed any question in the bank. See the FAQ page for more details on searching.

s/v Estrellita 5.10b, Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Our Cruising Blog

Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Ensign

Thanks for putting this up as "latest news" on the front page.

Our Cruising Blog

Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi, I suggest that you re-think your criteria to cruisers who have been cruising for (however long) "outside of their home country" rather than outside of US and Canada. Cruisers come from all over the world and go all over the world. Some very interesting folks from other countries cruise around the US and Canada and may have much to offer you in terms of insights.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Ensign

That is an excellent point redbopeep. We're riding out a gale at anchor right now (got to love long distance wireless antennas!) but I'll make that change.

Our Cruising Blog

Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

off topic--what kind of ld wireless antenna are you using and what is its performance?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Ensign

Hi,

My apologies to Livia for stepping into this query, but we ran a WiFi service in Grenada for a few years ('05-'07), and have some ideas on remote access of WiFi signals.

The quick and short solution is POWER.

If the WiFi source does not have bidirectional amplifier/antennae with some power behind it, you can greatly increase your reception distance by having a high power USB WiFi adapter. (500mW +).

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-...USB/Detail.bok

An external omni-directional that can be mounted to give "line of sight" to the source is also an advantage.

http://www.l-com.com/category.aspx?id=2073

I'm not a fan of permanent installations of antennea on boats that may be in areas of lightning.

For finding WiFi sources we like NetStumbler, with a gps connection you can get lat/ long of where signals are strongest

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

http://www.vistumbler.net/ (for Vista and Windows7)

Have fun surfing

Rick

s/y Panacea

Old 04-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
Ensign

We bought the Wirie. You can certainly make your own much more cheaply (it is an Alpha unit, in a Pelican, with an 8dbi antenna) but we decided that the saved time was worth our pennies right now as we are in a crunch to get things done. So far we love it. We were about 1.5 miles from the marina we were connecting to yesterday.

Our Cruising Blog

Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia' date='04 April 2010 - 02:55 AM View Post

We bought the Wirie. You can certainly make your own much more cheaply (it is an Alpha unit, in a Pelican, with an 8dbi antenna) but we decided that the saved time was worth our pennies right now as we are in a crunch to get things done. So far we love it. We were about 1.5 miles from the marina we were connecting to yesterday.
I got a bullet 2hp - recommended. 1000 mW transmit, I get silly distances covered with it Its also power over ethernet, so I will mount it in the mast just as soon as I get round to it

PS: I enjoyed the Sereia interview, very funny! Just had a thought, why don't you let people interview themselves and submit the content back to you?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd' date='05 April 2010 - 12:24 PM View Post

I got a bullet 2hp - recommended. 1000 mW transmit, I get silly distances covered with it Its also power over ethernet, so I will mount it in the mast just as soon as I get round to it

PS: I enjoyed the Sereia interview, very funny! Just had a thought, why don't you let people interview themselves and submit the content back to you?
The Bullet was high on our list as well. Apparently a very good unit.

In a way, they do interview themselves Everything is done by email. I send questions, they send answers.

Really nice story about the project today on Three Sheets NW.

Our Cruising Blog