Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

>> We've been avoiding so many of our old friends. This is sad. I just don't want to "explain" anymore.

I think that's a fair comment. Friends "come & go".

yes, but these are friends that have been supportive us all our other endeavors. Of course, most of those endeavors involved things that they could rationalize in some way or another.

>> all they are is focused on how much its going to cost and how could you possibly afford to "do this"

Some people will never understand a great deal of many things becuz they've been conditioned by the lack of what they've learn't in general society & from the media in regards to thinking that many things in life cost a great deal of money. The fact that you're spending your time rebuilding the yacht will save an incredible amount of money in labor alone.

That's so true. labor is costly.

>> working in the evening hours on our software-related business activities

Am curious, are you still planning on maintaining this business while afloat? (i.e. use of satellite internet).

Don't know. Right now, we're in the process of "unloading" the technology we've developed. Neither one of us wants to lose the skills we have--thus, staying somehow involved is important. From a cost-bene perspective, I'd do better to simply manage our investments (satellite internet) and forget about software. Hubby would be the one to keep up the software development activities. You don't have to be online to write code, though, you just need a computer or two. He's got several ideas about how to improve on (on-board systems) for cruisers...so who knows after a couple years, you might see a business venture coming from us...

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
Lieutenant

You certainly get it.

You have mapped a path that:

- is financially viable,

- brings you satisfaction

- has made lots of friends,

- contributes to the community,

- has scope for flexibility,

- has kept you together as a couple (presumably happily).

You have also had the enthusiasm and discipline to carry out your plans and dreams.

Congratulations.

It is by criteria like these that friends should reflect on your choices, not what the actual goal or lifestyle is. I would be pleased if I could be half as successful.

duckie

Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAussie View Post
I was thinking of using Thrane & Thrane 430kbps (they claim some new satellite launches this/next year will give them wider coverage) they also operate on 12/24v. With this I could remotely log into a Linux Xen Server connection & conduct high speed surfing, download large files (i.e. kernel builds) as compressed/encrypted to an ftp server & have an onshore engineer burn a dvd & fedex it to my next port of call (or I could burn a dvd from a high speed Net cafe at the next port of call). I've also considered using multiple Iridium modems, but would rather not be stuck to 10kbps compressed p/modem
You sound dangerously like my husband when talking about linux, downloads, and speeds..

Right now, while still in the USA, we're got a vps (virtual private server) running our company email, our webserver, and our company pbx system the vps is a debian linux machine as are all our computers except one notebook.

Voice mails are emailed to us if I don't pick up the forwarded call on my cel phone. Our being "mobile" here is transparent to our customers and everyone hopefully. We're using a palm treo 700p as a modem. Its slow to surf the web on a palm but fast once you've hooked it up to a computer and are just using it as a modem. In the USA the Sprint EVDO network (similar to Verizon high speed) is 2.4Mbps speed capability but usually quite a bit slower than that. We up and download a lot and usually have 2-3 computers online at once. Its a comparable set up to when we had a high speed DSL at our business. The only problem we're having is that we're just a few miles from Mexico here, and once you're in the Pacific, the Mexicans have the gain turned up on their cel antennas and even when you're within a mile of Point Loma and headed north, you'll have the international charges accruing if you don't turn off the cel phone use. Its rather irritating because I can only do business when I'm in the bay or way north of the border. Durn Mexican cel tower owners....

We've only had one case where we needed a huge file burned on a DVD and mailed to us. In that case, our connection kept breaking in the middle of the download and the downloader couldn't handle it.

Getting way off topic here...

Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
You certainly get it.

You have mapped a path that:

- is financially viable,

- brings you satisfaction

- has made lots of friends,

- contributes to the community,

- has scope for flexibility,

- has kept you together as a couple (presumably happily).

You have also had the enthusiasm and discipline to carry out your plans and dreams.

Congratulations.

It is by criteria like these that friends should reflect on your choices, not what the actual goal or lifestyle is. I would be pleased if I could be half as successful.

duckie
Duckie,

Thank you for the very flattering post.

And yes, as a couple, we're together quite happily. Meeting when we were young and having the opportunity for building/sharing life goals has been the most wonderful thing. I wish for every couple to be so blessed. When I see young couples, I cross my fingers that they have the experiences we've had together and the opportunities to grow and appreciate each other more each year.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
The one that kills us, is the question: Why don't you buy a house?

Let's list the reasons!
Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. - Arthur Ransome

Very wise....

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #20
Rear Admiral

Put it in simple terms for them. If they drive a BMW. Then ask them why they didn't buy a MBZ. Most will answer how they prefer one over the other in some way. You are making the same choice only it is a lifestyle. Nearly everything in life is a matter of choices. Some just can't think out of the box.