Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Timber finishes

Apart from paint, is there any other timber treatment which can be applied to exposed timber on deck (not decking, but hatch covers, gunwhale rails etc) which doesn't require almost constant attention in the tropics. I don't want to paint.....but I would like to do just a few things in my life, which don't involve varnish.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
Admiral

Peter's greatest boast was that we had only 2 pieces of timber on Watermelon, and he "could'a, should'a" gotten rid of them, too!

Those cruisers with lots of timber on deck who were tired of the constant varnishing discovered Cetol, which they swore by. It is a pigmented finish that doesn't break down in UV the way varnishes do.

Some people don't like the appearance, others think it's great. Find a gathering place for American cruisers and check it out.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
Ensign

Hello Auzzee

Over the years I have had the same issue, that is trying to put a reasonable finish on wood without the constant work involved with using varnish. I have used cetol, din't like it, din't like the appearance or the fact that it was slippery under foot and became to hot in the tropics. Two years ago I tried a different mixture and so far so good.

I used 1 part boiled linseed oil, two parts turp, one pert spar varnish and one half part japan dryer.

This combo leaves a matt finish that protects the wood. This does not require a lot of attention to detail nor sanding between coats. It has only been two years since I first did the job and we'll see how it works over time. I suspect it will require a new spalsh in the spring, but it is not the time consumming effort required with using varnish.

Good Luck

D