Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #15
Ensign

Caylie

Well done - glad to hear the authorities were constructive and helpful. All the best for your cruising future. Keep them windows steamy!

Ron

Old 04-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Caylie

Hi all,

I recently wrote when my husband and I decided to buy a boat and sail back to Australia! Well, we are nearly settled on a Sigma 38, and are set to sail on Easter Friday from the UK.

I say nearly settled- we have been trying to buy this boat for 6 months,due to several issues I won't bore you with. The final sticking point is this: the owner can not find the VAT certificate. He has letters from various people (the original company who made the boat), the Customs people etc who say that VAT WAS paid at sale, but no actual certificate. Now, the letter from the customs people says that they used to give out a statement to people in our position saying whether VAT had been paid or not, but due to popularity of this service, they couldn't cope and closed it down. They also say that 1) Evidence of VAT payment within the EC (i.e. purchase invoice) OR 2) evidence that the vessel was purchased within the EC second hand from a private individual(a Bill of Sale) will be enough to get us through any European port eithout being pounced upon for another VAT payment.

Is this the case? We can not afford to be landed with a VAT bill at some custom's officer's whim.

The boat is 1988/9 and has had a few owners (all from the UK/EU).

Please can someone give us a hand with this predicament- we have already invested so much time and money into this, and to lose her now would be dreadful.

Thanks heaps all

Caylie

Old 04-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Caylie

Hi all,

I recently wrote when my husband and I decided to buy a boat and sail back to Australia! Well, we are nearly settled on a Sigma 38, and are set to sail on Easter Friday from the UK.

I say nearly settled- we have been trying to buy this boat for 6 months,due to several issues I won't bore you with. The final sticking point is this: the owner can not find the VAT certificate. He has letters from various people (the original company who made the boat), the Customs people etc who say that VAT WAS paid at sale, but no actual certificate. Now, the letter from the customs people says that they used to give out a statement to people in our osition saying whether VAT had been paid or not, but due to popularity of this service, they couldn't cope and closed it down. They also say that 1) Evidence of VAT payment within the EC (i.e. purchase invoice) OR 2) evidence that the vessel was purchased within the EC second hand from a private individual(a Bill of Sale) will be enough to get us through any European port eithout being pounced upon for another VAT payment.

Is this the case? We can not afford to be landed with a VAT bill at some custom's officer's whim.

The boat is 1988/9 and has had a few owners (all from the UK/EU).

Please can someone give us a hand with this predicament- we have already invested so much time and money into this, and to lose her now would be dreadful.

Thanks heaps all

Caylie
Hi Caylie

I have just seen your post rgarding bringing a boat into Oz. I have recently been doing some investigation with regard to binging a boat from USA. Slightly different case, but import rules are the same. The bottom line is you will have to pay 5%import duty + 10%GST The calculations are based upon purchase price of boat+costs of transporting (sailing) boat to Oz. Below is part of e-mail I recently received from Australian Customs along with their web site. Good luck with your plans. Joe

Dear Joe

Based on the information you have supplied your calculations are correct. GST is payable on all goods, new or second hand, that are being imported into Australia. Under the Free Trade Agreement between the US and Australia, if you obtain a certificate of origin stating the vessel is 100% US made, then this will remove the 5% Customs Duty that is applicable. If you can not obtain this certificate, then the 5% Duty will be applied. The Free Trade Agreement does not effect the GST. It will need to be paid regardless. Customs collects the GST on behalf of the ATO. The Duty and GST is paid at the time the goods are cleared into Australia, usually at the port of entry.

Thankyou

Craig Eakin

Senior Information Officer

Customs Information and Support Centre

Australian Customs Service

Ph: 1300 363 263

Fax: (02) 8339 6714

For more information on Customs go to our website www.customs.gov.au.

Tags
australia