Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Port Adelaide
Vessel Name: GYPSEAS TWO
Send a message via Yahoo to gypseastwo
Default Update from Gypseastwo in Mexico

Hello everyone,
We on Gypseastwo are all happily living here in Ensenada, Mexico. We are in the Cruise Port Village Marina and it's great. Definately recommend it here, frendly staff, great position (you can walk to town) new amenities and pontoons. Ensenada itself is just lovely, friendly, welcoming, safe and the carnival (4 days) last week was terrific. This is our first time in Mexico and we love it. So much we are not planning on going anywhere from here for at least a year, not even cruising south. Yep so sailing for a whole year (at least). After our trip from Australia via Canada to here I couldn't be happier. I am looking forward to lots of land based activities for awhile. Like walking our new addition every night along the boardwalk, a black fluffy puppy (rescued) which we think has labrador in her. We've called her "Matilda". The girls (my siamese) Mia and Poppy are adjusting slowly Mia being a bit slower on learning the sharing side of things. Boat wise we have repaired most minor stuff and cleaned everything (till I was blue in the face). Our home is now back to livable but not sailing capibilitiy yet. That will take a major refit. We are going to leave that for at least a year before we decide if we'll go ahead or not. So it's cheers from the aussies Lesley, Alan, Mia, Poppy and now Matilda on Gypseastwo happily sitting in Ensenada.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Thanks for the update!

When I was in San Diego, I met so very many Cruiserlog folks as they came through the area. You will likely have opportunity in Ensenada to meet many as well!

Ensenada--nice people and inexpensive eating out! Yum.

Many people spend a couple years in Ensenada taking advantage of the ability to rush back up to the USA if needing something specific boat-wise for a refit (there are buses and it is a short trip to the border) but also enjoying the friendly Mexican people. It is also a short sail between Ensenada and the US Channel Islands, so as long as the pets have their health certificates done before you enter the USA, if you eventually get bored in Ensenada, you could easily enjoy a summer of easy sailing and anchoring around So. Cal.

There are also some nice snorkeling spots just South of Ensenada that we used to enjoy from land (camping on a nearby beach). If you rent a car --or buy one--you could enjoy exploring the area.

We look forward to hearing more about your Ensenada experiences while you're there.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

The busses provide cheap, easy transportation around Baja California. I recommend you try a few places around before you settle down for two years. Take a look at Loreto and La Paz, for example. Both are big enough cities to offer the kinds of services you might need while still being charming Mexican cities.

I've spent a lot of time in Cruise Port, too. Love it.

As Peep says, there is a lot in San Diego and Catalina and the Channel Islands, too. One advantage of Ensenada is the 8 dollar bus access to San Diego, then the 3 dollar trolley to lots of places.

Lots to see and do in Baja California and if you are tough (I know you are) and not fastidious, you can live cheap and well. The Sea of Cortez is beautiful. I could spend a year in the Conception Bay area alone.

Buying a cheap car makes a lot of sense too, if you really plan to spend some time and have the funds. Hint: Older pickup trucks are useful for working on a boat and sell well in Mexico later.

My father sold a very old toyota with over 300K hard miles for a few hundred dollars several years ago. "As is." The buyer took it to Mexico, painted and upholstered it, and sold it for several thousand. He then came back to ask if my father had any more to sell.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: la paz
Default sail from Canada to Mexico

Hello there, I am very happy for you guys and the great adventure you're in.

If it's okay with you In would like to ask a few things about the sailing, since the wifey and I want to sail from Mexico to Canada.

Thanks,

Jesse

QUOTE=gypseastwo;32595]Hello everyone,
We on Gypseastwo are all happily living here in Ensenada, Mexico. We are in the Cruise Port Village Marina and it's great. Definately recommend it here, frendly staff, great position (you can walk to town) new amenities and pontoons. Ensenada itself is just lovely, friendly, welcoming, safe and the carnival (4 days) last week was terrific. This is our first time in Mexico and we love it. So much we are not planning on going anywhere from here for at least a year, not even cruising south. Yep so sailing for a whole year (at least). After our trip from Australia via Canada to here I couldn't be happier. I am looking forward to lots of land based activities for awhile. Like walking our new addition every night along the boardwalk, a black fluffy puppy (rescued) which we think has labrador in her. We've called her "Matilda". The girls (my siamese) Mia and Poppy are adjusting slowly Mia being a bit slower on learning the sharing side of things. Boat wise we have repaired most minor stuff and cleaned everything (till I was blue in the face). Our home is now back to livable but not sailing capibilitiy yet. That will take a major refit. We are going to leave that for at least a year before we decide if we'll go ahead or not. So it's cheers from the aussies Lesley, Alan, Mia, Poppy and now Matilda on Gypseastwo happily sitting in Ensenada.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Ohio

Pics would be great!

Tags
mexico