Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan
Default WATERPROOFING AROUND DECK APERTURE FOR MAST

can anyone offer suggestions on what is the best way to waterproof the deck aperture in which a keel stepped mast would stand? i have leakage problems from this on a J/24 and a X 372 Sport. So if the boat is standing on the hard through a week of rain, the water tends to trickle in through the mast and accumulate beneath the floorboards near the keelbolts

grateful for any ideas / suggestions

tks

chetan

Old 07-12-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Ensign

There are several products on the market

A system I've used on two boats is Spartite. About US$150 for a kit for my 44 footer.

<font color="red">This system is fo<font color="red"></font id="red">r an Aluminium mast in an aluminium or fabricated s/s collar, and does away with the need for (a) wedges and ( boot.(it is not suitable for traditional wooden masts) </font id="red">

The process is as follows:-

1. A mastic putty dam is pushed into the underside of the aperture between the mast and the collar.

2. The black mastic spartite mix is poured into the aperture, to a level approx 10mm from the collar's rim. This sets to the consistency of hard rubber.

3. The top 10mm is filled with a whitish mastic which protects the spartite from ultra violet and can be trowelled into a neat seal.

4. The putty dam is removed when the spartite has set.

The result is that the mast is set firmly in the collar.

I don't know, but I suspect, that the efficacy of this system is that the mast and collar are roughly complementary in shape - i.e the gap between mast and collar is pretty constant. I don't know how well it would work, for example, with an oval mast in a square collar.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi Chetan,

you don't say whether you have an effective mast boot. If not then that's the first step.

Let me know if this is what's needed and I'll post details.

Regards

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
rod hodgson

Plase post details Mike. The Carter 33 I've recently purchased has no boot and the leaks through have ruined the veneer on the bulkhead. I am having to lift the mast to put on a new boot so will be taking the opportunity to replace the standing rigging, replace trilight, sheaves, aerial etc. Currently saving up sheckels to do it but am keen to hear others input into the process. Then I start on the bulkhead Much to be done.. so little money to do it with!!

Rod
Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
Ensign

The mast boot is made out of something like truck tarp. Construct a pattern that is a segment of a circle. The segment of the outside circumference of the circle is the desired circumference of the deck connection of the boot, plus a seam allowance.

The inner point of the segment is replace by another circle segment the part circumference of which is equal to mast circumference plus your seam allowance. The segment now looks like a segment with an outer circumference and the inner point cut away by another circle.

The radius of the segment (between the inner and outer circles segments) is the desired height of the boot (generally around 12 inches) plus a fold over at the top (more later) and a fold out at the bottom (more later).

Hope this makes sense so far. To fit the boot you seam up the outer sides of the segment using your seam allowance. The boot should then slide snugly onto the mast UPSIDE DOWN - in other words with the wide segment up and the seam out. Beware if your mast tapers the boot may not go over the heel of the mast and may need to be made to fit at that point.

Once the boot is on the mast you seal it by fitting a large hose clamp around the mast trapping the top of the mast boot (the small segment that's currently at the bottom). You can put silicon or the like in here before clamping the hose clamp. Then turn the boot down over the hose clamp. This puts it right way out and hides the seam and the hose clamp.

On deck you fashion a circular frame that is in two parts. Seal the boot to the deck with some sort of flexible mastic and screw the frame down over the perimeter of the skirt of the boot.

Works like a charm.

Hope this is understandable and makes sense.

Regards

Mike[xx(]
Old 07-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

Thanks for all the input. Will first try the mast boot since i think i can make that myself and it seems the more economical of the alternatives. will let you guys know how it goes.

thanks once again

chetan