Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Weather

From a book I am currently reading, Sailing a Serious Ocean by John Kretschmer:
"I love weather, the good, the bad-even he truly ugly. You must love weather to be a sailor; it is a core part of the package. I am not a slave to forecasts, however, and I don't worship at the altar of satellite GRIB files. I don't dispute that GRIB models are very accurate, but the pursuit of weather information can border on obsession. The more you sail, the more you accept the fact that weather is also influenced by local phenomena, and forecasts can still be inaccurate. Your own observations are often just as important and usually more useful than the professional mumbo jumbo. Still, sailors go to great lengths to obtain weather information via radio and satellite and then doggedly believe it, even when the evidence blowing directly in their faces suggests otherwise. I have seen sailors desperately trying to download forecasts from their perch at the navigation station below, completely ignoring towering cumulus clouds shrinking the dark horizon above deck. Weather forecasts have become somewhat of a self fulfilling prophesy; you want to believe them, you want to trust them."

The importance of pilot charts, personal observation and the hourly monitoring of the barometer cannot be overshadowed by reliance on modern technology. I like this man's books.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Auzzee, There has yet to be developed a sailor's instrument more accurate or reliable than the Mark 1, Mod 0 Eyeball. George

Old 06-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Exactly George; and when said MK 1 optical device is interfaced with the cerebral cortex (NMEA and wifi have yet to catch up), the package can provide a series of dynamic weather models with a high degree of effective probability based on stored data (brain = approx. 104,000gb).
But wait, there's more! The same equipment is also remarkably reliable when assessing the aesthetic differential between the the XX and XY chromosome packages, and telling the difference between beer and milk.

'Nuff said!
(Beer tastes bloody awful in coffee)

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote