Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #21
Admiral

I just don't see how you are going to be able to do it in less than 6 months. Hurricane/cyclone seasons are just one problem.

Experienced sailors, well-found boat needing no repairs after a passage:

2 weeks, Baltimore to Virgin islands.

2 weeks, VIs to Colon, Panama (and this can be a nasty sleigh ride.

1 week, through Canal

1 month to Marquesas

1 month to Tahiti

2 to 3 weeks to Tonga

1 week to Fiji

1 week to Vanuatu or New caledonia (suggest vanuatu). A week up the chain, then on to Darwin (or Thursday Island) - 3 weeks, more likely 4.

2 months minimum through Indonesia.

2 weeks to Thailand.

Add it up. That's 8 months with no stopping to smell the roses or repair the things that are going to break. If you don't time it right, you're going to be waiting somewhere for cyclone season to end. Right now you have until May 1 to leave Baltimore, and you have until December 1 to get to Indonesia (cyclone season S. pacific is December 1 to May 1, but can start earlier, end later). And do you think you can get insurance? be very, very careful.

fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:27 AM   #22
Rear Admiral

Phil,

Jeanne's advice is spot on.

Swagman's advice is spot on.

There's only one thing I'd like to add:

I THINK YOU'RE NUTS!

You admit that you have very little sailing experience, that you cannot afford the luxury of six months, you cannot afford the cost of a professional delivery crew, you have no navigational skills and you're not even sure which ocean Baltimore is on.

I believe you should give your head a shake and think about this a while. This is not a Racer Log.

In the meantime - maybe it would be a good idea for you to charter a boat of similar size & type, round-up the first "very experienced captain & crew" that comes along, go out over the horizon for a month or so... and then write back and tell us all of your experiences.

"How many people have sailed the South Pacific Islands and hated it"?

Only those who were killed in the process.

Kirk

Old 02-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #23
Commander

Phillip...some excellent advise given here. It's up to you to decide but consider the consequences of your inexperience. If it doesn' kill you it will put you into financial difficulties. Don't be a Darwin candidate. Enough said and good luck.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
ivan

I just recived quotation for Morgan 40" from Batimore to Singapore for 21000 USD, delivery in 28 days + 3500 USD for cradle.

you can contact Nick Jackson for your quotation on[nick@petersandmay.com]. the 40 000 USD is unrealistic.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:42 AM   #25
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by phillip Quinn

yes, i am getting the picture. The yacht could not be further away. Looking for a yacht last 2 months, the best three boats, around 50k US are on the East coast area. Would be close to double the price in Thailand. Maybe its the hurricanes. I did not think it would be that hard.

i am going blind researching this on the net. I am hoping shipping will be the answer, any ideas out there on cost to ship from Ft lauderdale to say New Zealand
The besy way is by DockWise sail on sail off BUT it aint cheap about US$40k!!! If you insist on buying a boat in the US, why not the west coast?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #26
Ensign

Home Port: Crosby
Default Old thread

Does anyone know what ever became of this grand sailing plan?

I just this morning bought my first sailboat (Cal 33) and will be sailing it to my home marina. I am even concerned with my little few hundred mile trip from Biloxi to Baytown.

My son is in Thailand and I would love to visit him under sail by my own hand some day. You guys with all your reality sure did dampen my dreams a tad.
Attached Thumbnails
Maybe my new house.JPG  
Old 10-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #27
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

West coast to Thailand is very do-able. The north Pacific route via Hawaii and Japan is probably less predictable than the coconut milk run through the south Pacific via Tahiti and New Zealand.

If your boat is well found, your crew is experienced, you set sail at the appropriate time to take advantage of the trade winds, and you don't make or try to keep appointments, you will have a really good time.

Prepare, learn and shoot through. You will sail through storms, but with prudence and determination, you will ultimately see Phang Na bay across your bow.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thailand, usa