Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Ensign

Default What can you buy for $100k AUD

My dream is to sail from Melbourne, Australia, into the St Pacific, surfing for the best part of two years. Ideally want to head to PNG and Indo for the first year. I have b/w 80-100k to spend on a boat, do you guys have any recommendations for a good mono hull in that range.

I have crewed on a boat from San Diego-Mexico-Hawaii-Midway Is-Alaska-SanDiego over the course of a year. Although I know what Blue water cruising is all about, I think I would struggle just with my girlfriend and mates, would need someone who really knew the Ocean. Do you think it's reasonable to expect to get someone who is pretty knowlegable to come with us for the first 3-4months until we're up and going?

Any advice also on what sort of budget you might need per month if you were speding most time aboard the boat?

Thanks for any advice you give

Old 11-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Chris, keep an eye out for second hand South Coast 36, or Martzcraft 35. Both are excellent sea boats and the South Coast has a full keel and centre cockpit. Both are big volume but don't sail@sideways like the short/fat Roberts' of a similar size. There are always a few listed on Boatpoint.com.au, usually moored in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne, and are generally in the $85K to $110K range.Don't rule out good ferro boats either. It is amazing what you can buy for $60/$80K...and at the end of the day you will get your money back. Good luck.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the info David, sounds like you've got a pretty amazing adventure coming up too.

Any type of Ferro boats to look out for?

Also is there a chance of getting anything bigger for 80-100k? would love to be in something around the 40ft mark. The trip to Alaska was on a 32ft and was a touch small. I presume the second-hand market is pretty good, barring any major damage on the boat. But insurance is probably pretty expensive for 1 year cruisng?!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Admiral

Insurance is always a problem. It is becoming more and more unaffordable. Many cruisers, particularly in less expensive boats are opting to only insure for third party property damage.

With ferro, you should be able to buy a very high range 50 footer with good gear for $80K. $100K would buy you a boat equivalent to a GRP worth half a mill. Please search this forum (see above RHS) for more on ferro boats. Ferro is a good material which got a bad name, not so much because of the shortcomings of amateur builders..but because of the shortcomings of amateur designers and their designs or modifications. So steer well clear of any ferro boat described as a 'stretched 40' or similar, otherwise you may end up sailing something which looks and handles like an apartment block.

It is always worth paying a good surveyor to look at your potential purchase. If you are looking at ferro, don't use a surveyor who merely says he has surveyed a few ferro boats. In Melbourne you will have no trouble in finding a surveyor who is knowledgable about ferro.

In all cases you want an out-of-water survey and you need to take the boat sailing. Get it out on the Bay on a blowy day. Good ferro designers: Adams (Helsel..multiple winner Sydney/Hobart) Samson and Hartley are probably the best known in Oz.

Better luck in the AFL this year..... Dave.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Good luck in fulfilling your dream Chris! May you find your dream boat and be able to purchase it!

so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and

impatient when least effective."

-Henry David Thoreau
Yachtmaster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Another cheap-ish option is to buy an older racing boat and convert/refit for cruising. The advantage with this method is that old racing boats tend to be very cheap - you get a lot of bang for your buck. The disadvantage is that they will not, generally, have many of the comforts of a traditional cruising orientated boat.

There are plenty of good racing boats in the 40 foot sort of length that can be picked up for a lot less than $100k (I got mine for just under $70k). Obviously, there are some disadvantages and pit-falls. Some older racing baots have been worked pretty hard and may be structuarally "tired", although this is not always the case. Racing boats tend to have a deep draft, which may not be ideal for crusing. Racing boats also tend to have realtively tall and complicated masts and rigging, again, not ideal for crusing with relatively few crew.

Having said all that, you do ge a lot of boat for the money. I bought a nice 40' racing boat, 1985 vintage, and am currently converting it for cruising. It will be a helluva nice fast cruising boat by the time I am finished refitting.

Some boats to look out for: "40' - 1 tonner" (Farr / Dubois / Vandestadt, etc.), Farr 1104, Adams 40, S&S 34', S&S 36'.

If you have a look on yachthub, or boatpoint, you can find a couple of examples right now - I'm thinking "Lucifarr" and "Midnight Rambler II" which are both mid-eighties Farr designed 40 footers that are for sale for about $70-80k.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Weyalan

Another cheap-ish option is to buy an older racing boat and convert/refit for cruising.
Agreed, but one must consider the fact that speed and comfort are generally speaking opposites at sea. My boat, a Colin Archer style double-ender, is not fast, especially to windward, but she is extremely comfortable with her long and deep keel and heavy displacement. An ex racer, on the other hand, will give speed but not comfort. You will be bounced and slammed arround a lot more.

This is no criticism. You pay your money and make your choice. That is up to you but I would go for comfort all the way.

Good luck with your search.

Aye,

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:23 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Auzzee

Good ferro designers: Adams (Helsel..multiple winner Sydney/Hobart) Samson and Hartley are probably the best known in Oz.

Better luck in the AFL this year..... Dave.
Just for the record, Helsal won the 1972 Hobart, her only victory in that race.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
Admiral

Okay...So I'm a bit of a dill. I honestly thought she won one overall, one handicap. Helsal is still a fine yacht and I think she is chartering in and around the Solomans. Occasionally the 'Flying Footpath' is tied up in Darwin and still looks as though she is doing 20 knots when moored. The new style of having two wheels in the cockpit for steering is not for Helsal. She has the Luna Park ferris wheel in her cockpit....beautiful!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #10
Lieutenant

Gossip: For what it is worth, Tony Fisher; the guy who owned / skippered "The Flying Footpath" is coming out of retirement for this year's Sydney to Hobart. He has bought himself a mid 80's 63' Swan copy, renamed it "Helsal IV". It looked pretty tired when it arrived (from france), but has just undergone some much needed TLC in Hobart (next door to where I'm working on my boat), and intends to compete in this years race with some of his old crew.