Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Ensign

I have about seven or eight years of working before I'll be able to cut the shore ties and head out. I don't even know where I want to go first, do I head to the Med, or the Caribbean?

I am curious, what do you think would be the best languages to learn in preparation for a circumnavigation? I studied French in school, but I have never been anywhere that I could use it. How important is it to learn a language besides English?

Jerry

Old 12-23-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
Admiral

Whatever your home tongue - the best other language to cruise with is "politeness"

EG :-

Old 12-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

For worldwide cruising I would venture the following languages are the most useful (in order):

English

French

Spanish

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

I reckon it would depend entirely on which way you are heading... French if heading out into the Pacific and Latin American ( its different to the ordinary Euro version) Spanish if heading south. You can get by on Latin American Spanish all the way from Cape Horn almost up to the Canadian border

How important is it to have the local language?. Even to give the local language a go with a sentence or two when meeting the locals will gain you lots of good will. In Chile away from the main touristy bits you won't find much english spoken.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Ensign

We are cruising in the Med and can only speak English, but in every country we try to learn at least enough words to be polite (please, thank you, hello, good bye, etc.). More important is to use the words you know and to ask for help with pronunciation and then to ask for help with other words and the names of things. People everywhere are willing to help you learn their language when you make an effort.

Even though you can get by with English in many places, learning French and Spanish will only help. We are spending the winter in Spain and are taking Spanish classes, but the best way to learn is go speak with locals at every opportunity.

tenayatravels.com
jimthomsen is offline   Reply With Quote