Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

I emailed Art Averell at Tartan with this question: "What is the proper payload for our 1986 Tartan 34-2. Yes, we have sailed her successfully overloaded, but what is the proper waterline on the boat". His answer: "We normally see two inches of the hull below the lower stripe. Some people who travel loaded raise their bottom paint up to the lower hull stripe."

So... Did Tartan just ignore their naval architects, or are they that confident in their boats? At this point I am. That said; Sailing performance can get quite important out there, so I will still be looking at ways to reduce the payload as we cruise!

Better yet, pruchase a boat designed to carry at least 2,000 lbs per person for the duration of your cruise!!!

The best to all,

David & Brenda Adams

S/V Ceilidh

Lying: Water Bay, St. Thomas, USVI

Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Admiral

I seem to remember from somewhere that an O with a - through it was to mark the Plimsole Line ( So is it possible the your imbedded screw head is marking the Plimsole ??

Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #17
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Plimsole... WOW, I get to learn a new word! I so seldom (OK DAILY) get to discover things that I have no clue about. BUT... I am going to look it up right now! Thanks!

Back again... Yep, I HAD seen it before... It is one of the many types of load lines I had to learn about to get my Masters Ticket.(Plimsoll Line) I certainly had never heard Tartan refer to it in any capacity, but they didn't seem to think it was a problem to raise the waterline paint a few inches... HMMM... This is a VERY good question!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #18
Ocean Senior Sailor

Home Port: Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post
G'day Al, aka 'belleist'. s/v Persephone looks a nice yacht (if that's a picture of it). Tell us all-about your choice of yacht & why you made that choice & we can all learn from your knowledge, Please. I've asked the designer - Kurt Hughes - several times - for the weight his 'stock' design (38' tri) might carry & still remain within his design weight specifications & cruise safely (ie - not overloaded), all to no avail as he seems to not want to answer the questions asked. Maybe after so long 'down-under' I've lost the ability to speak 'North American' english. His attitude is less than helpful to anyone/everyone wishing to seriously consider one of his yacht designs. Sign of our times I'm sorry to say. The builder has unfortunately passed-away. A shame to loose excellent builder/sailors, such a loss to us all. Thanks for the info about your 'sink-rate'. Every bit of information I get really does help me & I hope everyone else in 'forums' that doesn't want to overload their yacht. Ciao, james
Got a Definition from KURT.

Here it is

What's the payload figure.

Heres

Kurts Interpretations.

December 7, 2013 at 8:32 pm
whatís your definition on ?

Weight.

[ Bare boat, including engine, propulsion, mast, winches sails, anchor and chain, sheets, water and fuel tanks but empty, radios, electronics instruments, gen set. life raft, safety equipment ] ?

Displacement weight.

[ Added weight. = Crew, water, fuel, stores, spares, parachute anchor and rode, inflatable and engine ... ]

December 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm Kurts reply.

I call weight complete vessel, empty and dry. I canít think of anyt other definition.

My question to Kurt in reply.
December 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Whats does a complete vessel empty and dry mean?

There has been a lot of complaints on world websites by posters prospectus buyers that they canít get strait answers from designers and they all have different definitions.

Some say it is done on purpose so if the boat does not float to design lines they have some degree to scrurm, explanations and exonerate themselves.

Terms used.

Weight.

Displacement Weight.

Payload Weight.

Kurt says:
December 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm
I have no idea what other designers do.
I thought I gave a ďstraitĒ answer on this already. Complete, empty and dry.

December 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Thanks

Iíll add my question and your answer to the forum debate re your interpretation with your name.

PIC