Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
tel
Lieutenant

Default Where's the middle

I did a trip across the Tasman Sea recently with a friend, on a 36 ft displacement yacht. It's about 1500 nm from Tasman Island in Tasmania to the Bay of Island in New Zealand. During the course of the journey, I became perplexed about a subject, which may well have occupied the minds of other people taking longish sea crossings. The problem is thus -

- Which is the long part of the voyage, the middle or the ends?

- Are the ends quite short, and the middle long, or is this just perception?

- Does the rule of thirds apply - third for the start, third for the middle and third for the end?

- Or could it be that the beginning is two-thirds and the end one third, given that the last part of any voyage seems to go faster?

I know it's a complex subject, but one which all cruisers must deal with at some time or another. I would be pleased to hear your views.

Regards.............Tel

Old 06-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Terry. Wind beam-on at 15 knots = short bit..upwind bash = long bit. Cheers mate. David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Lieutenant

I have madea few deliveries from Sydney to Hobart. Its about 600nm, and it divides pretty neatly into 3 parts:

1. Sydney to Gabo Island (NSW Coast)

2. Gabo Island to Eddystone (Bass Strait)

3. Eddystone Point to Hobart (Tassie Coast)

Each section is about 200nm, give or take.

For that particular trip, the middle section always seems to be longest, and the last section the shortest. I guess in Bass Strait, I have no landmarks to "tick off". Whereas going down the Tassie Coast, I know every point, bay and town.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Ensign

I guess I agree somewhat with Tel regarding short and long parts. My Bass Straits and Tasman crossing came at the end of such a long trip, they were definitely a "part" and the steady stream of fronts made them "longer parts" though the longer distances were elsewhere in the voyage. Nothing like beating to wind to make any voyage a "long stretch". but I would say it is natural to break a voyage into sections based on Ocean or difference in sailing tactics or intensity of watches. As a solo, the last sections, often nearer to shore mean no or little sleep so that gets 'long'. Interesting that there are often "dreaded" or stretches of greater anticipated challenge. It was hard having such a challengeing leg of my sail at the end as I faced leaving the southern ocean into the aussi basin and across to NZ. Definitely, that "part" got my attention. checking off landmarks is part of the excitement for sure. Cheers Donna sv_inspired insanity