Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 AM   #21
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

talked to the tech guy at work...ends up outlook can block in-line graphics and doesn't download from the server till you tell it to... now i just need to play with its options and figure out how to set it up the best way.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 AM   #22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
block in-line graphics and doesn't download from the server till you tell it to...
Check Firefox and Thunderbird

Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Commander

Hello Atavist, Have a look at Mailwasher, it's a freeby that I use with fairly good results. It lists all emails waiting to be downloaded; you can bounce, delete or accept them for downloading with a friends and a blacklist file so that over time mailwasherautomatically finds and delete the repeat offenders sending spam. It may be what you want.

Regards

Peter
Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #24
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It seems that when dealing with telecommunications companies in Australia, one must always suspect they are failing to tell prospective customers the whole truth. Sales people are paid commission and simply do not mention the lower priced options.

Research, both through Cruiser Log and cruising sailors, showed me there was a broadband internet wireless connection available which could be purchased on a casual, rather than contracted basis, and which could be varied, suspended and tailored to suit the users requirements.

When I first visited our biggest telecommunications supplier, the salesman denied such a product existed. I insisted. Ultimately he 'discovered' there was such a product. "Sign me up" says David, full of trust and admiration for the telco giant in which I am a shareholder.

So, I returned to my floating home and read the agreement.

2 years, with significant early release penalties!

Well, I'll be...and with a capital 'F', I thought. He must have made an innocent mistake. 10 non-returned phone calls later, a visit to the spotty little sod who made the 'con', threats of public exposure to the boss (I may be on my boat, but I am still a bankable journalist) and it was realised that "Yes, a regrettable mistake has been made".

The contract was cancelled without fee and I am now in possession of the tiny mobile phone sized plug-in modem, and have a casual, month-by-month fee which can be varied infinitely. The deal is I pay for the download size. $90 per month will give me the use of messenger services including voice and webcam for approx 6 hours per week, as well as managing my emails and allowing a generous amount of 'surfing' time.

Obviously I need to be within broadcast distance of a phone tower...but as time goes on, that is becoming less of an impediment.

I will report on the total reliability of the system as I progress.....

Cheers

David

PS...on a casual basis, the modem has to be bought outright and upfront for about $500.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #25
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
one must always suspect they are failing to tell prospective customers the whole truth
You have touched on a subject that really burns me - telecoms!

We have stayed out of the clutches of owning a cell/mobile phone for all these years but recently succumbed to the insistance of our children that we should own one of these things for our personal safety.

We bought a unit for about R900, with much difficulty, as the salesman spent an hour trying to sell us a contract. He eventually lost interest in us totally when I insisted on BUYING the unit and BUYING "pay-as-you-go" airtime.

The "contract" would give us the phone for FREE as well as a R2,500 shopping voucher for a large Homestore. DO THEY THINK WE'RE STUPID?

Thousands of people obviously fall for this - but not me! And, the telecoms companies always produce huge profits.

I hate them!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 AM   #26
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
hmmm... my problem is a lot of the "spam" i get is from people I know passing around videos etc... so spamarrest wouldn't work for me... what I need is something that lets you see inline text but doesn't download ANY graphics or attachments unless you tell it to.
If you use Outlook, go to Tools, Options, Security, Automatic Picture Download Settings
Old 11-02-2007, 06:56 AM   #27
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

Quite an interesting subject. I think that folks must look at their needs and what they classify themselves. It appears that the “live aboard” is generally looking for an on-demand broadband full internet connection whilst the “cruiser” is looking for email whilst at sea and an internet connection whilst in port.

I have “developed” my own needs as time goes on – being a ham I went with Winlink which offers me free email all over the world with the system developing to meet the continual demands of the users. The email via HF works well although it becomes a bit slow when in the mid Atlantic – but then the boat also slows down and we just go with the flow. When in port I find a Wi-Fi connection and use the Telnet module in the Airmail program. Then, when conditions are really bad, I can hook up the data cable on the Iridium phone and do a reasonably fast send and receive – this method is seldom used as it costs money whilst my objective is to keep costs to a minimum.

Nowadays I can find either a free or low cost Wi-Fi connection in most ports to do some surfing and software updates. I must admit that I have become quite good at doing this although most 10 year old kids will think I am a daft OF (Old Fart) and can “borrow” somebody’s unprotected connection far quicker than I can.

I think most cruisers think the way I do – email separated from the internet. Get on with life but stay in contact with a set list of family and friends via email. Let them know that they will be banned from your email contact list if they send you unsolicited attachments or the continual forwarded jokes.

And to finish off, I do have a cell phone on contract with my South African service provider with international roaming. It is also a G3/HSDPA modem. At home it is inexpensive for internet use but outside the borders of SA the costs are prohibitive. I have just done a firmware update on it and it is now also a Skype phone. Nice in SA and overseas when I have a broadband Wi-Fi connection as I can sit at a pub with a nice cold tin of that international brew and chat to family back home for free without having to lug my laptop around!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #28
Lieutenant

Once you find a way to get onto the net, you can *probably* use skype or a similar product. Cuts your costs down a lot.

seer
Old 11-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #29
Rear Admiral

Hi David,

We've had the orginal GPRS card, replaced it with the G3 card, then got one of the G3+ jobbies last year. All ex UK and expensive to use overseas - but never an issue with signals dropping out etc.

Today, as most marinas and harbours where we cruise now have wi-fi, we've moved on to using it a lot when moored up. We've found most slower than the G3+ card - but obviously cheaper.

Only recently we've also fitted an external (marinised) wi-fi booster antenna.

They claim a range of 2 miles, omnidirectional, and certainly where we are now it does allow us to pick up multiple wi-fi routers some of which are free to use (after you've bought a drink ashore at the wi-fi bar and got the entry codes). And we don't even need to be in a marina - just close.

I'm hoping this new antenna will allow us to piggy back off other wi-fi routers in future coastal locations without a need to get ashore.....and can let you know how effectvie it really is over the coming year.

Actually, this posting is being sent from the boat, via WIFI in a cafe (which is actually closed right now), but on shore 1000 metres away - and it's costing nix.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #30
Lieutenant

hehehe,

I saw a *mobile* sat tv antennae the other day that was originally designed for over the road truckers but apparently is capable of getting you sat tv on a boat

("now lets see, maybe I should add another kw into the spec for the new genset....")

lol

seer

"Actually, this posting is being sent from the boat, via WIFI in a cafe (which is actually closed right now), but on shore 1000 metres away - and it's costing nix.

Cheers

JOHN

[/quote]
Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #31
Ensign

For those looking for mobile broadband in the US, both Sprint and Verizon have pretty good pricing on their EVDO services. With either carrier, it's $59.99/month for their service (with a 2 year contract).

On Sprint, that is truly unlimited service.

Verizon's terms of service are a bit different. Customers can use up to 5GB of transfer/month - beyond that, they run the risk of having their speeds throttled down to about 200kbps. While it's frustrating to have limits on a broadband plan, 5GB is actually quite a lot, and most customers find they don't come anywhere near that amount.

There are three form factors for EVDO card (ExpressCard, PCMCIA, or US, as well as antennas, amplifiers, and EVDO routers that allow you to share your mobile broadband connection with multiple computers. With all these options, as well as both carriers extending their coverage every day, it's possible to find a solution for almost anyone.

Rather than spend hundreds of dollars and a lot of time experimenting to find the right combination of gear, you might want to trust the EVDO Experts to help you make the best choice for your EVDO Gear.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #32
Admiral

Info from :- http://www.evdoinfo.com

"Can I use EVDO overseas?

Currently, most of Europe uses GSM, which is not compatible with EVDO, so EVDO will NOT work overseas. Verizon has roaming agreements with Canada and Puerto Rico so that your cards will work there (additional roaming charges may apply). "
Old 11-14-2007, 02:55 AM   #33
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi EVDOKirsten,

The major problem as articulated by many who visit these type of boards, is the difficulty associated with dealing with telecommunications 'experts'. The majority of success stories seem to originate from cruisers who have done their own research....the majority of stories of failure originate from those who trusted expert advice.

Given your ID, I imagine you have experience with EVDO and hope if that is the case, you will disclose your associations. Either way we appreciate all well meant advice which is tendered in the sincere interests of our members.

Welcome, and we look forward to your input.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote