Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Only till your randy man comes a prowlin

... then it's a trap... we's got ya cornered

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #16
Commander

- - I would have to agree with Atavist that the term "day-sailor" is more descriptive and more of what I wanted to convey. Having been in the eastern Caribbean for nigh on 9 years there is little "pure sailing" when heading dead into the trade winds of the upper islands. Most of the journey is motor sailing crashing and bashing eastward. But when you turn the corner out of St Martin or Antigua then real sailing is possible and there is much more joy and contentment actually sailing southward with the wind on the beam and dolphins and whales competing with unbelievably beautiful island gliding past your beam. It hard to determine a winner between such fine sailing and such dramatic and interesting places to explore on each island. So the whole thing is really moot - sailing? cruising? voyaging? Best? better? Heck, it is just plain great no matter what you call it. There is something for everyone including the racers and daysailors.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #17
Ensign

redbopeep

Again you have the right sentiment about the sailing life. Phyllis and I enjoy all of it from passages to working on projects to improve our boat to anchorages to just sitting in the cockpit with a glass of beer watching the sunset.

Phyllis must have learned to love sailing on our 1st cruise to the South Pacific even though she says she was dragged aboard. This time it was her that suggested and insisted we buy a boat and cruise for our retirement. I am a lucky man.

On top of that both of us have lost weight, gained muscle tone and are in better health than we were 10-15 years ago.

Gary

PS. If anyone has any experience with health benefits of boating I would appreciate comments on my new blog below.

HealthyBoating.blogspot.com

"I feel younger while afloat in my boat."

http//HealthyBoating.blogspot.com
Apolima is offline   Reply With Quote