Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
My impressions too. Exactly.
As the character said..."he's making an argument..."

BTW, how did we get to Perham, from Sunderland?

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #16
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Dunno, guess its a bit of a moveable feast....however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
It's worth mentioning, for the factual record, that there are two separate feats being discussed.

* Around the world, solo. This was first attempted and completed by Joshua Slocum of course, and has been done by many others since. The trip may involve stops, may include berthing at marinas, may include some assistance and/or repairs along the way (recall that Joshua Slocum stopped to fit a Yawl rig to his boat before rounding Cape Horn) and is normally done at the trade wind latitudes, east to west. This is what Zac Sunderland became the youngest to achieve.

* Around the world, solo, unassisted, non-stop. This was pioneered by Francis Chichester and later by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston who won the first solo around the world race.
As stated Slocum was the first around, but he didn't go via the Horn, he went via Magallanes... no mean feat in itself and his run back through the Milky Way into Canal Cockburn is a 'must read'.. thats a scary place on a good day. Soon after him was the Venturesome Captain Voss in Tilikum.. a canadian canoe....

First south of the 'Great Capes' was the Argentinian Vito Dumas during WW2. BA, Capetown, south of Tasmania, Wellington, Valparaiso, Cape Horn, BA. Some say his was not a true circumnav as he started and finished in the Southern hemisphere and he was an Argentino after all. However pre war he had single handed from France to BA and after the war single handed several times from BA to the north atlantic and back. He had no sponsorship, sadly his book was not translated into english, and then only in a limited edition, until the late 50's.

Chichester stopped at Sydney and did it on a boat which wasn't his which counts as sponsored for my money.

Knox-Johnson ran aground in NZ but got off without assistance and did it in his own boat so he would have been unsponsored apart from HP sauce and beans, etc

I lost interest after that....

Frank

Pedant at Large

Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

This was no mean feat either - around alone in a 19 foot open boat - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg GER
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
This was no mean feat either - around alone in a 19 foot open boat - HERE
... yes, and here is another one who just sailed around the world in a 19ft (6m) boat: Aron Meder/ Hungary ! And, GoneTroppo, you are right, the ones who sail around the world because they love sailing are still on the oceans. Aron started out quietly and traveled on a very low budget, starting in Budapest: €1500 for the boat, € 2000 for her improvement and a budget of € 9000 for the whole trip (and some sponsores who helped out with eyuipment).

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
http://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
It's worth mentioning, for the factual record, that there are two separate feats being discussed.

{...}

It's worth noting Alessandro di Benedetto's current effort to sail non-stop solo around the world in the smallest boat (currently attempting it in a 21 footer) and Shane Acton's journey in the 1970s where he sailed around the world (although not non-stop, and he took 8 years to do it) in an 18 footer as mentioned -- however that wasn't the smallest boat around the world -- that belongs to an Australian by the name of Serge Testa who sailed around the world in a 12 footer (yikes!), taking 3 years to do so.
Here is a photo of Serge Testa´s boat, now in the Queensland Museum in Brisbane. Seeing it a few weeks ago gave me the certainty that if a crackpot can survive going around in the world in THAT, maybe I and my partner with a bit of preparation in a slightly better craft may survive sailing around! :-)
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
Ensign

I´m sorry - here´s a much smaller file of the same photo for easy opening!

J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5873a.jpg (710.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by truda View Post
........................... if a crackpot can survive going around in the world in THAT, maybe I and my partner with a bit of preparation in a slightly better craft may survive sailing around! :-)
Oh, I don't know if he was such a crackpot. The boat is ugly, probably uncomfortable too, but it does not look to be unseaworthy.

Anyway, good luck with your trip

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #22
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

I met Serge and his mate in Darwin in the mid nineties. They were cruising on a 'normal' size yacht, topping up the kitty at the time. He seemed a nice guy, very interesting and knowledgeable, different, but not a crackpot.

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTroppo View Post
I met Serge and his mate in Darwin in the mid nineties. They were cruising on a 'normal' size yacht, topping up the kitty at the time. He seemed a nice guy, very interesting and knowledgeable, different, but not a crackpot.
:-) :-) I didn´t mean it in an insulting way... but do look at the boat! I spent about an hour just looking at it in the Museum. It gives you quite some respect for the guy... and and undeniable feeling he IS a crackpot of some sort!

Tags
circumnavigate