Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Ensign

Any recommendations on current model wrist watches? I am in need of a new one and am interested in all comments. Features, brands, etc.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Admiral

Age might have something to do with my choice, and I certainly can't say that my choice is useful for others.

I have a man's Timex analog face watch (men's because the face is bigger, easier to see). White face so that it is easy to see at night. Indiglo - push the button and the face lights up, only one I can see without my glasses on in the pitch dark. Again, analog is easier to tell time if you wear glasses for reading and are too vain to wear bifocals!

I smash my watches into things and break them, or drop them overboard, or otherwise destroy them long before the batteries run out.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the response Jeanne. That is what I was thinking too. Just a cheap Timex. No need for any special features, either.

If you are ever in Cocoa, FL area stop by my Cafe.

www.cafeflamant.com
Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi,

I have a hideously expensive watch simply because in a previous life, I was caught up in the needs of consumerism. The watch does nothing but tell the time and still costs heaps to service every year. My watchmaker says the best rough and ready watch ever made was a Casio digital, with a squarish face from the early 90`s (some can still be bought on Ebay) My lovely girl bought me a `G-Shock, for sailing. Cost little (au$189) is time corrected every day by a satellite and you could belt it with a hammer and not damage it.

There is such a thing as good-and-cheap.

Best wishes

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
Commander

My husband is fanatical about knowing the correct time and also wears a Casio G-shock that wasn't particularly expensive (about $70 US at Cosco) but lasts forever and is waterproof. It works for me on night watches because of its easy-to-use timer alarm that's gentle on the ears (as opposed to our kitchen alarm). I remember one night at sea when I had to do most of the watch because Michael had been up the entire night before trying to fix something essential, who remembers what at this point. So, I set the alarm for ten-minute intervals, which allowed me to lie in the cockpit, close my eyes, and every ten minutes jump up to check the radar, look around, listen, check the sails, etc, and then hit the button again for another ten minutes. I never really slept soundly, of course, but just being able to close my eyes relieved the exhaustion. (I'd read somewhere that if anything big were aiming at us, we had at least a 10-minute leeway to tack out of the way. We wouldn't have tried this if we'd been at all close to land or in shipping lanes, and I spent the entire night with no other boat in sight, only some wonderful natural companions snorting and leaping.) The Casio also has a good light for us blind older folks, a stop watch and an alarm.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Ensign

Timex Triathlon - great deal indestructible

SV Sirius

Moody 47
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Timex Triathlon - great deal indestructible
I don't wear a watch because most times I really don't care what time it is. But we keep a Triathlon hanging from a cross bar under the bimini where the helm can easily see it.

Also we have a battery operated radio controlled clock from Oregon Scientific sitting below. It corrects itself from satelite info on a daily basis and has a light for night use. Also has an alarm function. Pretty neat clock.

So when I REALY need to look at the time I can check one of those places. Otherwise, who cares?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
So when I REALY need to look at the time I can check one of those places. Otherwise, who cares?
Amen! Preach it, brother! Except for the unhappy occasional need for an alarm and for precise time as a navigational aid, I much prefer to let my stomach dictate when I eat and my body tell me to sleep. If only there weren't all those other clocks and other people setting schedules.... You know, things like meeting times and office/bank/store closing times... Maybe when we've finally cast off for good? Nope. Then I'll have to deal with office/bank/store hours at other ports. (Thank the good Lord that our next check in to Mexico will be easier than the last! Talk about being a slave to clocks...)
Old 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Lieutenant

I am the kinda guy that LOVES big rugged watches. I slap em' on my wrist and they stay there until they either fall off on their own or the battery dies. I have had several G-Shock Casios but have found that when the battery was in need of being replaced, the watch would lose it's ability to keep the moisture out. Most would rust from the inside out following the replacement. Having had enough, I spent a little of my hard earned cash on a Citizen Aqualand Eco Drive. Solar powered and it doesn't take a Nasa Lunar Rover Navigations Programmer to figure it out (It does have a few small draw backs like no Internal light or alarm). I haven't ever had any issues and it runs like a champ. I will even continue to wear it after my life isn't governed by it!!!

Bajamas
Old 04-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
Lieutenant

SeaVenture- I'm a boat builder with a shop at my house. My wife is an artist with HER studio also at the house.

We DON'T SET alarms unless we want to get up before daylight to go fishing
Old 04-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
Any recommendations on current model wrist watches? I am in need of a new one and am interested in all comments. Features, brands, etc.
I have Tinnitus [ Severe Ringing in my ears from being a Drummer all my life

I cant hear the alarms on any Wristwatch. There are a few out there that vibrate. One is the – Casio 400 CJ-1 JF - I have not tried it yet but will soon.....they cost around $200 , in my case well worth it. It has a lot of other features.

I just FROOGLED vibrating watch .

I remain

TOM IN THE BERKSHIRES - 3 yrs away from leaving, Just enough time for planning
Old 04-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
Commander

I never wear one on the boat. Like Charlie I have other clocks aboard, even thinking of getting one more just for Zulu time which is a real headache when crossing time zones and the dateline, compounded with daylight savings. Zulu is important to the cruiser due to radio schedules, weather faxs, etc. Ashore I carry a Calibri pocket watch.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to Robinsvoyage

i wear a Rolex Daytona, comfortable and stylish, and can take a beating.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:36 AM   #14
Admiral

Thanks for the reminder, Spike; we have always kept a clock set to GMT near the nav station. Lots of scheds are in Zulu time.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote