Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Admiral

Click image for larger version

Name:	Piracy_Q1_2007.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	8

I attach the report of the only so called Piracy attack on a yacht - which is extracted

from the International Piracy Reporting Centre's report for the first 3 months of 2007.

2007_Q1_IMB_Piracy_Report.pdf

Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Google piracy map:

http://www.icc-ccs.org/extra/display.php

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Ensign

and the moral to that story (errr map) is "Stay Away From Land" !!.

Seriously though, I've often thought it would be brilliant to sail around the Indonesian islands but realistically you'd be taking your chances.

or sail the 'caps' (it may be cold but strangely enough there are no reported piracy incidents there )
Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

I don't want to sounds too cynical, as I'm pretty sure not every act of piracy against yachts is registered....and maybe not with this ICC group in any event.

Let us remember, ICC are a commercial concern only funded because their supporters are fearful of piracy. So no fear, no funding, no ICC.

The positives in this report are that it apparently shows piracy is decreasing. Almost half in 206 what it was in 2003.

Cheers

Cheers

JOHN
Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Admiral

Before we sailed to Indonesia in '97, we were told by friends who had bicycled through Indonesia and Malaysia that "Indonesia was beautiful but we didn't like the people, Malaysia not as pretty but the people were very nice."

Indonesia and Malaysia share a language, a culture, and a religion. Yet we, too, found many Indonesians to be less likeable than Malaysians. Not that all Indonesians were bad, but the greed and aggressiveness of so many of them was a bit off-putting. Still, I loved Indonesia and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Avoid the very touristy areas, and the big ship ports. Notice that it's cargo ships at anchor that are the target. As usual, that's where the money and saleable items to be stolen can be found.

It seems that most of the piracy attempts were unsuccessful. I appreciate that better reporting of piracy incidents will improve security, but unfortunately people who read only the first few pages, which show numbers, not what really happened, will respond with "'omigod, it's dangerous out there."

The reported incident concerning a private yacht was a non-event - two boats followed a few, no contact, nothing happened. There's really no way of knowing if this was just a fishing boat with curious crew on board. And it's the Blue Water Rally, a bunch of boats that aren't particularly brave and pay a lot of money to have their hands held around the world. I'm afraid that I am skeptical of that report.

I agree that one should be careful, but not terrified of what's out there.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
Admiral

If it is accepted that in the 1st 3 months of this year , there was only 1 so-called report of piracy against a cruising yacht in all the seas and oceans of this planet.

Could it be that there is an infinitesimal risk of a yacht being a piracy victim ?

We already know that not all incidents are reported. However, we do know that the serious, bad ones are picked up and reported.

If anyone has information about piracy, robbery which involved members of the cruising community, it would be of great service to all of us, to bring it to our forums.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

I received the email below from Carl aboard Arioso - he has just completed a trip from Spain to Barbados.

JohnT

------------------------------------

I suppose that two-thirds of the landsmen I talk to about my sailing raise the issue of pirates. I've read the various reports about piracy, and kept up with the issue, but have always assumed that I could avoid all danger by staying out of a few danger spots. Well, that's not quite the case! On our first full day out of El Hierro (one of the Canaries), a large fishing vessel from the Cape Verdes came into view over the horizon. We suspect (but don't know for sure) that she changed course to intersect us when she saw us on her horizon. In any case, she came at us on a fairly close course, to cross our wake. As she was abreast of us she called us on VHF radio. The call was unusual in that it didn't start with the normal protocol in which the calling vessel gives her name a couple times. So it was an anonymous call. Friendly, though. The English speaker seemed to want to chat, which was ok. But as we were chatting, she changed course to follow us from astern. There's no good reason for this unless they had evil intent. If they'd wanted to sell fish, they'd have been closer and would have raised the possibility on the radio. The reason a pirate would follow from behind is to obscure his vessel's name, so we'd have no way to identify the attacker. This move on her part was very suspicious. I immediately requested/insisted that she keep her distance and resume her former course. I got no reply. I gave the microphone to Diane, in the hopes that her Spanish would communicate our concern and request. As soon as she started talking, the fishing vessel asked how many crew we had aboard. This is none of their damned business; asking the question is one of the critical signs of potential piracy. They want to know how many crew they have to overcome. We had all four of us in the cockpit at this point. I didn't answer their question, but as forcefully as I could (in English) insisted that they resume their course, and that we would actively defend ourselves. They didn't reply, but did resume something like their earlier course.

We watched them as they slowly disappeared over the horizon to our stern. Then we turned on our radar to continue tracking them (the radar reaches beyond our visual range, for some strange reason that escapes my pathetic knowledge of radio waves). As soon as they went over our visual horizon, they changed course to intersect us again some hours in the future. At this point we changed course 90 degrees to starboard, away from them, then did two more course changes in the succeeding hours. All the time, we kept our radar on to be sure they were off our radar horizon.

So, was this a Cape Verdian pirate we'd escaped?, or a friendly fishing vessel we'd insulted? In my opinion, there is no question: he hid his stern and followed, he asked about our crew, and he attempted a second intersection. Nobody out fishing for a living would do any of the above unless he was running a side line of piracy of easily overwhelmed pleasure boats. We escaped by being obviously aware of the situation, and by bluffing, and then by hiding.

I had been warned last August by a slightly mad sailor that poor fishermen in the Atlantic were turning to piracy because they couldn't make a living due to declining fish stocks and increasing diesel costs. I dismissed his theory at the time (along with others that were (seemed?) much crazier), but I now believe he was right. Presumably fairly gentle pirates had made a definite pass at us, but had backed off. The general expectation is that, had they boarded Arioso, they would have take whatever they could of value and then left without us ever knowing their vessel's name or home port. Of course worse is possible. That's the scariest thing about piracy.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I received the email below from Carl aboard Arioso - he has just completed a trip from Spain to Barbados.

So, was this a Cape Verdian pirate we'd escaped?, or a friendly fishing vessel we'd insulted? In my opinion, there is no question: he hid his stern and followed, he asked about our crew, and he attempted a second intersection. Nobody out fishing for a living would do any of the above unless he was running a side line of piracy of easily overwhelmed pleasure boats. We escaped by being obviously aware of the situation, and by bluffing, and then by hiding.

I had been warned last August by a slightly mad sailor that poor fishermen in the Atlantic were turning to piracy because they couldn't make a living due to declining fish stocks and increasing diesel costs. I dismissed his theory at the time (along with others that were (seemed?) much crazier), but I now believe he was right. Presumably fairly gentle pirates had made a definite pass at us, but had backed off. The general expectation is that, had they boarded Arioso, they would have take whatever they could of value and then left without us ever knowing their vessel's name or home port. Of course worse is possible. That's the scariest thing about piracy.
Hi JohnT,

"

Thanks for Arioso's report on their encounter - it is not possible to place it for sure into the "Piracy in basket" I don't suppose we will ever know.

Unfortunately encounters like this one are common. In the seas of South East Asia where there hundreds of thousands of indigenous craft going about all sorts of business - when one sees a boat suddenly changing direction and taking a course to intersect with your own , the natural reaction is to keep an eye on that boat. Most times it passes and carries on somewhere. Sometimes they come close to sell fish, sometimes for a cigarette, sometimes just to say hello and look at people just messing about on a boat.

If real pirate attacks were taking place frequently on the cruising community - news of these would quickly surface.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
Ensign

The Caribean Safety and Security Net is on the SSB daily in the Caribe with reports of not only piracy...but any crimes against cruisers.

You can do an island by island search on their website t see what ha happened in past months.

Check ut the link if you are planning a cruise here:

http://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/reports.html
Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The Caribean Safety and Security Net is on the SSB daily in the Caribe with reports of not only piracy...but any crimes against cruisers.

You can do an island by island search on their website t see what ha happened in past months.

Check ut the link if you are planning a cruise here:

http://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/reports.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks ,

In general terms S.E. ASIAN waters cruising yachts have a much more happier time.

Richard
Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
Lieutenant

On passage from Sri Lanka to Salalah, about 400 miles from land, we experienced large fishing boats using several miles long surface nets. Supported by floats about the size of tennis balls and polystyrene block wrapped in black plastic, they were not easy to spot in daylight and impossible at night. We were under engine much of the time (no reliable trade winds in the Indian Ocean this spring) and were caught three times. We freed ourselves once and were freed by a fishing boat twice - costing us 2 bottles of rum, 400 cigarettes, 4 boxes of biscuis (all these being forced gifts),slight damage to the hull and rail wher the fishing boat came alongside without mch care, and our best pair of binoculars (stolen). The only good part was hearing on the VHF calls made in adequate Englsh to a ship, from a fishing boat, with more and more hystria, as the ship haded for and then through a net. Our 120 hp got stalled by the net, but the ship's prop won, by the sound of it. However, 20 fisherman bearing down on us was not funny at the time. Are such nets legal ?

John
Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan View Post
On passage from Sri Lanka to Salalah, about 400 miles from land, we experienced large fishing boats using several miles long surface nets. Are such nets legal ?

John
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi John, Unfortunately, these nets are quite legal. Equally as bad are the long liners.

For general information can you provide the date and approximate Lat/Long where you had this encounter ?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #13
Admiral

In truth, we don't know if those nets were legal or not. It simply depends upon the laws of the fishing vessels' flag state(s). Also, most countries have legislation regarding the marking of fishing gear. If the gear is improperly marked then the fisherman has no come back if nets or lines are carried away by ships' props. Of course that does not help the little cruiser which gets stuck in the nets.

Regarding the enforcement of fishing gear regulations, there are very few countries around the Indian Ocaean with the capacity to enforce regulations in their waters and EEZ let alone upon the high seas.

We can protest all we like but I don't think it will lead anywhere within my lifetime.

Aye,

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
We can protest all we like but I don't think it will lead anywhere within my lifetime.

Stephen
This paper supports the contention that if the fishing boat's country does not prohibit drift net fishing in the Northern Indian Ocean it is legal for that boat to do so in international waters :-

http://www.earthtrust.org/dnpaper/intllaw.html
Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Admiral

I am affraid that is true.

If the flag state prohibits drift net fishing then fine.....that is the flag states prerogative.

If an international body, such as IOTC prohibits it then it is only applicable to vessels flying the flag of a contracting party (member state)

There is nothing in UNCLOS forbidding either long-lining or drift netting (more is the pity)

If a vessel of a non-contracting party is fishing using methods not acceptable to a regional body, such as IOTC, all the contracting parties can do is to prohibit that vessel from landing /transshipping its catches in their waters or to their vessels.

We cruisers are the first to complain in the event of any limitations being placed on the freedom of the seas but we have to recognise that the freedom of the sea (and I am only meaning the high seas here, i.e. international waters) also applies to fishing vessels. Like most of us, I am appauled at the rape of our seas which has been going on for years but unless there is a new LOS convention or ALL states sign up to regional fisheries bodies, there is little that can be done about it.

A final issue is that even if ALL countries joined regional fisheries bodies, who would pay for maritime surveillance in that region? It is difficult enough to organise such surveillance in the North Atlantic, an ocean surrounded by rich countries. How would things look in the Indian Ocean? As it is, the only country to attempt international patrols in the IOTC region has been South Africa which sent the Sarah Baartman on a mission to Tanzania and Mozambique after first embarking fisheries inspectors from those countries. Even then, they had no authority on the high seas. The Sarah Baartman innitiative was a good one but far too little to be of any consequence.

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

"We cruisers are the first to complain in the event of any limitations being placed on the freedom of the seas but we have to recognise that the freedom of the sea (and I am only meaning the high seas here, i.e. international waters) also applies to fishing vessels". ..Quoted from the above post by Nausikaa.....

Stephen, I had not thought of that before. Once again, a throw away comment from someone with the true gift of wisdom has caused me to give serious thought to a subject which I had previously only considered from my own limited perspective.

It is humbling indeed to be sharing this space with so many genuinely talented people

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #17
Admiral

David...

I am overwhelmed. Thanks for the very positive feed back.

I assure you the feeling is mutual.

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #18
Ensign

Office Of Naval Intelligence - Threat to Shipping. Much more detailed....

http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/in...front_door=true

Click on ONI Reports (left side of page)
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #19
Rear Admiral

WHAT???

You mean there really are Pirates and Bad Weather and Fishing Nets and Anarchy out there?

Should I swallow my anchor and move back home to the mountains?

Should I carry guns?

Should I carry insurance?

I don't want no trouble...

Should I stay in port where it's safe?

???

I just wonder which port that would be.

Despite a common primal fear of the unknown... I have come to conclude that Aye am far safer at sea, upon my own vessel, in charge of my own destiny - than I am sitting at home watching the likes of CNN or stuck in traffic listening to bad news on the radio.

Who was it who said "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" ?

To Life!

Kirk
Old 06-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #20
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Robin

This particular thread is a discussion on private yachts and not merchant shipping. Merchant shipping is a whole different "target" (and a topic on it's own). Our particular interest here is of attacks (real or percieved) against cruising yachts.

Of course, piracy against merchant shipping is relevant - areas of interest - but a little off topic under THIS thread's heading. THIS thread is calling for reports from private cruising yachts.

Thanks for the links anyway.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote