Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Admiral

Sorry. I am sure it was my mistake and I did not pick up all the bits! It has been a hard week so far!

If you are looking at charter woork for "paying crew" then there are simpler ways to go than registering your vessel as a merchant ship. Your vessel still needs to be registered and fitted out to a certain standard but not that applied to merchant ships. Similarly the certificates the crew needs are not as high.

As for crew, well it depends where yoou are sailing. If you are in the Far East, for example, then a crew from the Philippines would probably be the best bet. Hourses for courses!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Depends on what level of Service you want to give but have to agree with the last post. Though if you are going mid market or higher I know of some Southern Italian Lads that would jump at the chance and have or can get their cert's on the Italian level and speak more than one language. No Mafia connections promise. My Family had to level Sicily for those problems. We don't like those folks. Will be glad to help and Gibraltar is and is not the same as the UK but a UK registered company can have their office their and you would fall under companies house rules to an extent. I would strongly suggest you work with an accountant and tax lawyer when working out your taxes though due to being a citizen of the only country that will try to tax your income outside the US NOT from a US firm. I file but they hate me (partially disabled due to cancer so a lot of exemptions in the rules). You take care and keep working at it. Me I am working on getting the strenght back so we can realistically make a go of it.

Michael

Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #17
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

chiroeurope, sorry to hear about the cancer, hope your strength comes back quickly and it's gone for good...

Nausikaa, so without the Merchant status ones foreign crew can still get the same benifits of port call if you are doing international charters....

as to where I would want to charter. My dream is to have the ability to pretty much go anywhere... probably do a caribbean season then a greek season but also use the transat as a legit charter (not a shady 'mile building' paying crew type gig) and possibly even do longer distance custom charters taylored to the desires of the customer...

For crew my proclivities are towards Albanian, Dominican, and Thai as I have friends in those countries, they all have bad economies so paying them less by an american standard is still more than what they would usually make and it would be easy to arrange interviews and find the right people.

as for taxes, I just talked to my CPA today and he's doing research on how things would work with having a vessel probably flagged in the UK, running charters internationally but me being a US citizen but not in the US.... it is indeed a headache...

just to be clear this is all sadly something that will not come to fruition for quite some time... just trying to do my homework in advance.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Smart lad, and keep working at it.

Michael
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #19
Ensign

I think this subject is blowing up to look more difficult than it really is.

Setting up a boat as a business is one thing, and not terribly difficult. As long as you are in some way compliant with the Jones Act (is it a US-built boat) it is just like any other business.

Non-US crew need a B1/B2 visa. While in the US Consular Offices in Bermuda I saw huge numbers of cruise ship crew shuffling through to get their visas before their first landfall in Miami. On a small boat you life is easier. I had one EU crewmember aboard Auspicious when we came through Bermuda on the way to the US; we got her a visa overnight and I got a great Embassy shirt out of the deal! *grin*

Note that the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) does not apply to unscheduled vessels.

S/V Auspicious
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #20
TQA
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Regarding the US, well, that is an issue for the US but being a Dutch citizen, the US visa waiver scheme is applicable to your friend. Being the land of liberty, it would tarnish the reputation of the US if they did not allow his wife to accompany him - but she will definitely need a visa.

Aye // Stephen
If it is a privately registered vessel I am pretty sure the visa waiver scheme does not apply. The person concerned needs a visa.

Nice little wrinkle though if you are entering the US in the Virgin Islands. Drop the non visa holder off in the BVI and let them get a ferry across, as it is a commercial vessel the visa waiver is applied and entry should be granted.

Tags
visa