Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Smile Borneo to Australia - Crew wanted

We're looking at bringing our new home back from Borneo to Australia in the last week of September/ first week of October and are looking at expressions of interest from one or two extra crew members.

The vessel is a large volume 44' Antigua Ketch in excellent condition and well equipped for long blue water passages (having just spent two years crossing the Pacific from the US). We know the vessel very well having sailed in company with her from Cairns to the Louisiades and we will be flying back and forth to Borneo over the next few months prepping her for the return to Australia.

Departure will be from Sutera Harbour, across the top of Borneo and then south down the Celebs Sea and into Makassar Straight round the bottom of Indonesia into the Flores Sea heading ESE into the Banda Sea across the top of Timor into the Arafura Sea and either down into Gove or Thursday Island for OZ customs check in. From there around the top of Cape York and south to Cairns. Sounds easy doesn't it?

Seriously though, we are pretty experienced blue water cruisers and are somewhat anal about safety, preparation and provisioning. We'd expect all our crew to share similar concerns.

Estimated travel time 6 - 8 weeks to Australian port of entry.

Crew will need to make their own way to departure point and from arrival in Oz and will need to organise own visas etc. A small contribution to food is anticipated along with any beverages and other treats individuals may require. Fuel, water, cruising permits and running costs will be met by owners.

The additional crew will be joining two couples which should make for a compliment of 6, enabling shorter watches and a more relaxed passage although this will still be a delivery with stops along the way for diving and exploring. Ideally crew should have experience in watch keeping and basic seamanship and be prepared to actively participate in the running of the yacht. Non smokers preferred with a sense of adventure and humour a must.

If interested drop us a line for more details.

****** ALSO KEEN TO HEAR FROM OTHER VESSELS MAKING SAME PASSAGE - RE SAILING IN COMPANY

Fair winds,

Mico

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

wow - it's amazing what can happen in just a few days! Flights are now being booked, work leave being finalised and everyone very inspired. Heading up to Borneo in a few weeks to start moving gear aboard and prepping for the trip.

It was however pointed out to me by my number one navigator and first and best mate that I had posted our original course - which was the long way around. Sorry about that Here is the amended course:

Depart Kota Kinabalu north to Kudat for quick lift and antifoul then coastal hopping across top of Borneo round to Tawua for Malaysian check out. Then SE across Celebes Sea and coastal hop east across top of Indonesia to Manado or parts close to; round the top and down into Molucca Sea to Ambon with various stops along the way. From Ambon then to the Banda Islands where our crew want to do a bit of diving and lazing about before we then head to Gove or Thursday Island for Oz check in. From there, around Cape York and south to Cairns diving the reefs and more lazing about.

This route cuts down our long passages considerably and opens up a lot of day sailing and diving and exploring options.

Still keen to hear from one or two additional crew to join us, as well as any other vessels considering a similar passage. Also any advice from cruisers having done this route would be most welcomed!

My navigator also pointed out that I probably scared a few people off with the safety and experience aspect of my first post. My intention was to actually put people's minds at ease that we are very safety conscious and usually over prepare for such trips. It was also pointed out that enthusiasm and willingness to learn is just as valuable as actual experience so this humbled and chastened skipper stands corrected

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Fair winds,

Mico

Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

What a bit of luck!! You seem to know the route! I am in Singapore, taking a catamaran down to Brisbane. I'm going to come across to KK or Labuan then pretty much follow what you are doing except from the Solomons/Louisiades area I will probably do a straight shot to Brisbane. My original intention had been to drop from Singapore down to clear the boat into Australia in Darwin. Although its about 500 miles shorter, local advice is telling me to go over the top of Borneo and PNG.

Its all a new area to me: I'm entirely happy about the top of Borneo but not sure of any replenishment stops onwards and across PNG so any advice would be gratefully received!!

cheers, Tony
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Hi Tony,

We've done the return from the bottom of the east coast of PNG through the Louisiades and down to Cairns. On the whole - not a bad trip. Going from the top of Borneo across the top of PNG is another thing completely. Sailing west from say New Britain across the top of PNG to Borneo is relatively straight forward - the wind is mostly behind you. Going the way you are suggesting would be a long beat to windward and even when you got there - you'd want to stay well off the coast of PNG to avoid any trouble and then go down the outside or tight inside of New Britain. We have a few friends who have done that trip and hated the passage to New Britain. That's why we're opting for better wind angles and a shorter passage south through Ambon. Here are some links that finally persuaded us to take this route. They were passed onto us by another member here. Have a read and continue asking questions - that's what we're doing

Noonsite: Sailing back to Australia from SE Asia

http://www.noonsite.com/Noonsite/PDF...EAsia_DBowden/

Fair Winds,

Mico
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: eureka
Default Im interested in joining the borneo to australia trip

I will be in borneo towards the end of september and looking to get to australia. I will have had three months of experience, and am very easy going, safe, and fun to be around. I am looking for a family style crew, or mixed gender crew. Happy travels, good luck with everything.

Alisha
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Admiral

Having gone from West to East, Australia through the Louisiades, Solomons, etc., I wouldn't consider that route to get to Australia from Singapore or Borneo. Currents and wind will be against you, and that extra 500 miles will feel like 1500 miles before you finally leave beating to windward.

We never visited the Moluccas, should be a great trip.

Fair winds,
J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney
Default Expression of interest

That sounds like an excellent trip and a great opportunity for me to learn from more experienced crew.

A little about myself. I'm 31, fit, and based in Australia. My sailing experience is limited to 20 hours on Sydney harbour through an RYA training program. However I have spent a more substantial amount of time with my nose buried in the books and not a day goes by where I don't think about, or plan, my own voyage.

I work in offshore oil rig construction in a lesser known field called industrial rope access. We basically climb around the place using ropes to access hard to reach areas. We tie in with trades to complete all manner of work which makes people in my field very handy with tools and problem solving. Working physically 12 hours a day for up to a month straight while living with up to 600 other workers on a ship helps hone skills in patience, tolerance and respect for others. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm used to hard work and adverse conditions.

As a condition of my employment I've been professionally assessed as competent and regularly perform drills in basic fire fighting, senior first aid and offshore survival (among others). A copy of qualifications is available on request. I'm hoping that in terms of safety and risk management this may begin to justify my berth. I'm also handy in the kitchen and don't mind a bit of time on a scrubbing brush.

Reading back over this makes me sound terribly serious which is deceptive. I'm quick on a joke and blend with people easily. I'm quick to learn and won't be merely ballast and eyeballs for long.

I understand if you require more experience but let me know if I'm in with a chance so I can arrange to be available.

Questions welcome. I look forward to hearing from you.

Pete.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Seal Beach, CA
Default Expression of Interest

Mico,

If you still would like another crew member for your voyage, I would love your consideration. I am a 21 year old college student from the Los Angeles area. I do not have much sailing experience; however, I more than fit the description of an enthusiastic learner with a profound love and respect for the ocean!

Despite my limited sailing knowledge, I have been working as a beach lifeguard, so I am very comfortable and familiar with the ocean and maintaining a careful and vigilant attitude. From this, I have also gained first aid and water rescue experience, so I believe I would add to the safe conditions that you wish to have aboard. Considering that I am a college student, I often share a bedroom with a roommate so I am very aware of respecting peoples’ possessions and boundaries.

Why do I want to go on this trip? Sailing through Indonesia and the South Pacific has long been a fantasy of mine, and this is the perfect opportunity to make that a reality. This would allow me to visit some of the most pristine coral reefs, explore new cultures, learn more about sailing, and overall have an invaluable experience.

I am confident that I would add to an enjoyable experience and would be a valuable crewman. If you would like to contact me, my email is boufford.m AT gmail DOT com. I would also be very willing to skype (username mattboufford, home town: San Luis Obispo, Ca) if you would like to get a better sense of who I am.

Thank you for your consideration,

Matt Boufford
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Gothenburg
Smile Expression of interest

Mico,
As said by others, your trip sounds truely amazing! I've been in many parts of the world, but Australia, Indonesia and Borneo have always been on the wish-list, and what a dream exploring them abroad a nice and stable vessel. If you are still looking for a crew member, I would be honored if you would consider letting me be a part of your team!

As for me, I'm a 25 years old swedish soon-to-be architect who has sailed the Baltic sea with friends and family since I was very young. Ever since moving to my current home-town Gothenburg on the west coast of Sweden, I've been longing to get my feet wet again... Before starting my studies I had a few years of for working in France and travelling in Asia. As a person, I'm an easy going problem-solver who's used to adapting to different situations and personalities. Having always been analythical and thorough, it's something I rely on while challenging myselt or go to new places in order; everything in order to take in the whole experience and enjoy to the fullest.

I've never sailed a Antigua Ketch but I'm up for every task that needs to be done abroad. I'm looking forward to working along with more experienced sailers, and I'm confident that my physical condition will be more than sufficient (a lot of skiing, cycling, running and tennis). Even though the sun isn't always sunny, hard work is never a problem.

Please contact if there's even a small chance to join your trip! My e-mail is anna.arvidssonATyahoo.se and skype pseudo anna-arvidsson.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Fair winds,
Anna
Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Rear Admiral

Hi all who have responded so far. We have sent you all pvt emails asking to talk further but we're not sure if you have received them. You can contact us direct at: velella@bigpond.com and hopefully we can chat further from there. Everything is progressing this end very well and we are keen on finalising some crew.

fair winds,

Mico
Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: chicago

I'm definitely interested. Can you facebook me? Paul Piccolo, Chicago

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: chicago

Oooops, that was supposed to be a PM. I'm new and I probably should have read ALL the post vs just the 1st one...

Tags
australia, crew wanted