Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Ensign

Default British Columbia wilderness series of trips, Apr-Oct, next 3 years, any exp

Before getting to the standard questions, here's the situation: I want to see certain wilderness of British Columbia by sailing there, in a series of trips. If the boat's 30' or less, and crew are interested in joining any of them, I will get the resources to go, and spend all my working time on training and planning for these trips over like a year before going, if I own the boat or don't. The first 12 or so months may be the best time to practice aboard with other crew who want to go, and it will be a high priority for me to make such time.

1. Boat Name, Hailing Port, including country: likely the name of whatever I'd buy. If the boat has a proud identity with it's original name, great, less time for rituals. The hailing port will be one of the US ones in this area.

2. Type and size of boat: likely a 27-30' old fiberglass sloop, with just and a yuloh or sweeping oars for auxiliary power whenever safely practicable. There may be a 6 horsepower outboard.

3. Will the boat's owner be aboard (yes/no): most likely yes

4. What is the relationship of the skipper to boat owner if owner won't be aboard (Relative/friend, Employee/delivery skipper): friend

5. How many other crew will be aboard during this passage: There may be 2-3 sailors total aboard. It depends on what keeps them with it and how long the trip will last.

6. How many children will be aboard during this passage: 1, depending on my mood

7. Children's ages (infant through 18 y.o.): NA

8. How many pets (and type) will be aboard during this passage: none

9. Present boat location (Port including Country): I don't know, hopefully somewhere also around Puget Sound

10. Starting point of passage advertised for crew: any port in Puget Sound or the nearby straits if the timing is right, or around Vancouver Island, so Port McNeill, Fair Harbour/Kyuquot, Tahsis, Ahousaht/Tofino, or Port Alberni/Bamfield.

11. Approximate date trip will start (month/year): June 2014 at the earliest

12. Approximate length of trip: 25 to 65 days, depending on trip, it's the crew's choice. Much more info about the itineraries are the 3/15/13 post of poppdbubb.

13. Expected destination of trip: There are multiple trips to wilderness that may work on West Vancouver Island or East Queen Charlotte Sound. It's the crew's choice as well as many oceanographic, meteorologic, and administrative effects that will determine where we'll go. Places that may work, although my current knowledge of the area and seamanship are inadequate to know: the Ahta, Kwalate, Ahnuhati, Klaskish, East Creek, Nasparti, Power, Tahsish-Kwois (not Tahsis), Satchie, Hesquiat Point Creek, Sydney, Ice, Megin, Moyeha, Ursus, Carmanah, and Walbran valleys, also the bush around Cecilia Lake, Flores Island, and Meares Island. Much more info about these places is on the 3/15/13 post of poppdbubb.

14. Duties crew member will be expected to perform: Knowing what to report while keeping watch under way, and at anchor, will be discussed, and determining and communicating the boat's way, and sailing an MOB drill and heaving-to will be practiced. It will likely be a tiller helm with no auto pilot. Cooking for all is great. There must be known procedures in sail changes, sailing and tacking in small areas, in and out of moorage and anchorage, grounding, some mechanical failures, and fire that we can do together and constant participation from all crew is necessary in these times. For some of those scenarios, there will be discussions on the effects of waves, wind, and current, in other directions and power, visibility, and other marine traffic. While many or most times it's best to stay put at night, sleeping hours will probably change to get through some parts at the right time. Almost everything from here is good to know. I'll have a nutrition textbook, with some other related reference info, so that could save ducats on some supplies and the effects of probable deficiencies. pretty fun huh?

15. Desired sailing experience level for crew member to already have: If they want to do it, and have time to practice from any level, great. I'll spend at least 1500 more hours over a year practicing aboard, and all my other working time will go towards preparing for these trips during that year, so crew time in the above practices aboard will be a high priority.

16. Expected daily cost-share for trip (in US Dollar): This is negotiable, but by default I'd like crew to pay for their groceries. Maybe consider this, and increase all of those by 30%, given BC supermarkets, not the more remote grocery stores, on the island. Also pitching in a few bucks for cooking fuel is great. The same conditions apply to transportation to the starting ports and from the ending ports, their exchange rates from the bank they use, customs fees, addressing any voicemail box they expect calls to, and other personal expenses like that. I'll pay all the other trip expenses. I could go into more detail.

Considerations for things I may not buy for the crew: The cosy clothing that fits them matters, to keep the water out in yoga-like positions while layers fit nicely underneath the top ones. Everything outside of the cabin will get wet, and like over 9/10 times, the only place to dry clothes will be in the cabin. I'm not buying a space heater, but a good wood stove (for cooking) and fans will be there, to get as much mold out of porous surfaces and materials with permeable shells, but I'm not really counting on it for now. Life is easier with dry clothes and air circulation along the skin every couple of days, especially regarding socks and feet. Typically there's like 80 days of rain from May to October, there will be over 3 consecutive days of rain, feet will commonly be submerged in water, green water will go over the bow and run astern, probably unobstructed by a dodger, ambient temperatures range from 3-20˚C, and winds commonly go over 35 knots for hours. One could stand in the same place for over an hour in these conditions. The PFD should fit and be tested to know their head will stay out of the water through cold shock and the probable loss or intentional curtailment of energy to swim or grab onto anything. And a sleeping bag will get wet.

17. Skipper states that the expected daily cost-share stated is for FOOD only and does not include fuel, boat operating costs, marina fees, or any other expenses of cruising nor for profit (yes/no): no

18. Include other information which may be used.
More info is on the 3/15/2013 post of poppdbubb.blogspot.com, where it will be more often updated than what's here.

Thanks abunch yall!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Ensign

Some other things about this, now updated with more details on the blog:

If someone is thinking of any variation of a route or destinations to take out or add to the trip itineraries, suggestions are appreciated.

Local water taxis can swap crew out in many places all over the island and by Queen Charlotte Strait.

At the very least, a quarter of such passage making time on the boat will involve waiting for conditions to allow getting to the next reliable anchorage. This may be very well over half the passage making time. This could be time to work on many sorts of things, especially if it's in a usual mobile or wifi network (not likely). Crew could collectively get a satellite phone off ebay or something and use that sometimes. It could then be sold if the batteries and mobile network will still be working and compatible with it, unlike a rental. I may get one myself, or some high-powered VHF system, whatever would enable myself, in a forested valley, to, by chance, talk to someone in an emergency.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: redfield

i wil go

Tags
columbia