12-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Join Date: Jan 2010
In April 2011 I am looking to join a yacht heading across the Pacific ocean to Australia, my home. I am flexible with dates and departure locations, and am able to make my own way to the relevant departure port.
MY BLUE-WATER EXPERIENCE
I have approximately 2000 Nm of open ocean (blue water) experience.
In early 2010 I lived aboard SV Intrepid, a 44" Beneteau, in Tongatapu, Tonga, following a successful passage from Whangarei, New Zealand to Tonga between 29 May and 7 June 2010. I shared in all duties while under passage from NZ, including watch-keeping, sail trimming, cooking and cleaning. During May 2010 I assisted the skipper and first mate with repairs and provisioning.
Following my passage to Tonga I crewed on a 54" Hunter in Hawaii. I was engaged by the skipper to help deliver the yacht to Santa Barbara, however approximately 400 Nm out of Honolulu, we encountered serious weather and our skipper made the decision to return to Hawaii. During this passage, in addition to independent watchkeeping and other shared duties, I developed my skills steering by hand, maintaing a compass bearing, and safe foredeck work during serious foul weather.
I prioritize clear communication, safety and laughter!
I have all my own safety kit and wet weather gear.
When not travelling, I work as an environmental lawyer in Australia.
I hold a RYA Competent Crew certification (100+ hours of sail training) in addition to my practical sailing experience.
- live in Brisbane, Australia but am currently living in México
- am a fast learner, hard working, with strong desire to learn the arts of sailing
- have travelled extensively (Fiji, Mexico, Cambodia, Canada and the US, Philipines, Central and South America, Australia)
- have an adventurous spirit (between August and October this year I cycled more than 2000kms over the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountains in western USA)
- love cooking, and am very creative in the kitchen (or galley)
- prefer to eat vegetables, but am open to enjoying freshly caught seafood while at sea
- speak Spanish
- have studied permaculture (ecological design)
- am committed to ecological sustainability
I love the ocean. I want to travel slowly, respecting the diversity of people and places, immersing myself in the landscapes. I want to work for my adventures, developing a strong connection to the natural systems. I am very keen to develop my skills as sailor.
Look forward to hearing from you.