Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Phuket
Default Crew wanted

Hi,
I am looking for crew to join me crossing the Indian Ocean, Red Sea and in to the Mediterranean

You don't need anything specific as the yacht is fully equipped.
Some sailing experience is good but not essential.

I am in Thailand now, near Phuket getting the boat ready. You will need to get to the boat by early to mid December 2016, we will cruise Thailand to prepare then head off for India, the Red Sea then the MED arriving in April 2017.
You must be able and prepared to share cooking, cleaning, watch keeping and general care of the boat and each other.
We share the cost of food plus $160USD Per Week for the boat.
You must be prepared to stay all the way to the MED so please do a little research on the trip, visa requirements, etc, can help you with some information.
You will need passport from a country permitted to enter country on route.
I have sailed from Australia to Thailand with crew some of the way and now doing a few repairs in Thailand.
I have many year experience and qualifications including RYA , yacht master.
I am 48, male and easy to get a long with, my last crew were all around 25yo we spend 4-5 month together, had a great time and say in contact.

The yacht is a 45ft sailing yacht, French build 1986 beneteau, 3 cabins, all safety equipment, 2 showers and 2 toilets even a TV.

If you're interested I am happy to chat anytime.
Thanks

Stephen
Whatsapp Or email
Kyanparsons@gmail.com

Old 10-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

What does the $160USD Per Week cover?

Old 10-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

$160 per week would be a fare. You would be a paying passenger rather than a crew member. As such, the captain would be required to have to meet certain legal requirements and have obligations to you.

This is not the customary crewing agreement.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Phuket

Interesting question Tom.
In the last 2 years I've been looking at this I would say that there are 3 distinct approaching being used between crews and captains.
The first is an employee relationship were sometimes qualified crew are employeed to perform definded tasks and are paid, managed and directed as employees.

The second is also an employee model but their employment relationship is as a volunteer Or service exchange, but the legally and the relationship is still the same. In that they have low levels of decision making power and responsibility are directed. You may see some captains even raffle off the opportunity in exchange for click bate to help drive their YouTube revenues. Never the less still a employee relationship. Directed being the key here.

Third is one of shared relationship, responsibility and decision making. More like house mate at the centre of the shared economy.
There is a range of money and service exchanges in this group and qualified and unqualified crew.
The distinction however is non employment. All tasks, cost, decision, etc are agreed (shared) by a group of house mates.
This is a large and growing grouping, with none air travel as the latest trend in travel, a quick search will show you many people going this way.
For me I fix the cost of port fees, fuel, repairs, park fees, ever those " special fees" you have to pay to official in many parts of the world. This helps my house mates and I plan with more certained. With my last crew of 5 month we agreed to review this travel fund after sometime.
You will see there are many websites, app etc with offers like this fueling the globes shared economy.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Stephen
Old 10-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Lieutenant

I have crewed twice. Both involved international travel and I agreed to share expenses.

On the first one, I paid my own travel expenses to and from the vessel, I shared the cost of food, split taxi fares, and paid my own restaurant bills.

I did not pay for fuel, marinas, Panama Canal transit, cruising permits, exit fees, or any boat spares/maintenance.

On the second, I paid my travel to the boat. It was behind schedule and still on the hard. The captain paid for a motel room for me for 3 nights. During fitting out, I worked very hard and the Captain bought most meals.

I split the cost of provisions and we were off. I did not pay for fuel, marina, or any other expense.

At the end, I paid for my travel home.

These are proper "share expense" crew positions. You are asking for someone to share expenses plus pay a fare.

I'm not lawyer, but you are clearly advertising for paying passengers.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The problem with charging a fee, over and above the common shared expenses, is that the classification of the vessel changes from recreational to charter. To legally charter, an owner must have the boat brought up to charter survey, must have the appropriate skipper's qualifications, must understand his obligations as far as legal responsibility is concerned and must, as a result, hold insurance which will cover all paying passengers and crew...including personal injury and loss. Over the years there have been many discussions on CL regarding what constitutes legitimate sharing, and what constitutes a profit making venture.

Our position is clear. In a nutshell, expenses which would not otherwise need to be paid by the Owner/Skipper in his operation of the vessel are okay to be shared. Expenses which the owner/skipper would need to pay in the normal operation of the vessel, in the absence of crew, are not legitimate share costs.

To better understand this topic please visit the following Cruiser Log link, in which the issue is well argued:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f61...crew-1754.html
A further search will show this issue debated several times.

To potential crew. If you wish to pay a fare in the manner suggested by the OP, make sure the boat is certified as a charter vessel, that the skipper is properly qualified and certified to charter in all cruising grounds you will be visiting, ask for and read his insurance policy to make sure it covers charter boats and the crew and passengers on board, and understand that when on a charter you are a paying passenger, not a deck hand.

There is nothing wrong with you paying $160 per week, plus-plus-plus, just so long as you are aware of the responsibilities of the skipper. Also there is the very real threat that legitimate charter operators will not be happy knowing that there may be a pirate in their midst. The resultant unlawful consequences can be dire and need to be factored into your decision.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Lieutenant

There are a lot of interesting points posted on that link. One that really hit home with me is that the skipper needs the crew more than you need him.

The legal issue aside, it's a bit cheeky to ask you to pay so that he can sail his boat.

You should also be able to leave the vessel at any intermediate port without obligation to continue. You should be honest about your intentions about how long you will commit, but you can't be held hostage under any circumstances.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

OK so reluctantly I am going to have to take this post down.

I don't condone or criticise the act of taking on paying crew. However the rules of this crewfinder are simple, and explained here:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f14...2012-a-11.html

You cannot use this crewfinder to advertise for crew who are paying more than the daily cost-share stated for FOOD only. This cannot include costs for fuel, boat operating costs, marina fees, or any other expenses of cruising.

There are other commercial crewfinding services which you can use for this.