Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty
Default Crew wanted ... Darwin to the Kimberly Coast and back ...

My 42 foot yacht Travesty is at present in Gove in the Northern Territory in Australia. We expect to be in Darwin about the 18th of May after completing a 6 week trip from Port Douglas in Queensland.

We are planning to leave Darwin at the beginning of June for a trip down the Kimberly Coast and return to Darwin. The trip is expected to last about 30 days.

One of our crew needs to leave in Darwin so we are looking for a single person or a couple to join us for about a 30 day coastal cruise in the more remote areas of Northern Australia.

PLEASE NOTE: We are sailing a remote coast at the moment and will NOT^ have internet or phone signals or reception till after the 18th of May. I will respond to any emails at that time.

Male, female or couple considered. Cost is a contribution to food etc only at $20 per person per day.

Lex

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: boulder, colorado
Default interested!

Hey there,

My name is Meredith and I have about 3,000 sea miles on 134' SSV Corwith Cramer. I'm 20 years old living in Colorado and getting sea fever.. Would love to see Australia. Comfortable in remote wilderness settings, spend a lot of time in the mountains here and have spent four weeks sailing traditionally in the open ocean. Wilderness EMT.

meredithmjackson at gmail dot com

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Kimberley cruise

Lex

Hope the last leg went well - am interested in joining you for the Kimberley cruise
Am a fit 60 yo male, former boat owner and have experience cruising & some racing
Able to get to Darwin from Tassie when needed
Just returned from a great trip circumnavigating Tasmania on a 40' yacht and ready for more

Martin
martinp1952 at gmail dot com
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Sailing Practitioner

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Stargazer One

Hi Lex
Be interested in catching up with you when you arrive in Darwin I am going east coast at end of month (attempting to cross before the trades really start hahaha well...)
watch out for the tides at cape don they can really rip at this time of year
Drew
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Sailing Practitioner

I do have room for one more Darwin to cairns and beyond and then turning around to Indo and Thailand if you are interested
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Capt'n

Hi People,

A quick update ... Unfortunately we have had some problems so will be delayed for a short while. Blew out the head sail in a pretty bad squall and an hour later under motor had some gearbox problems. We are now at Elcho Island in the NT and waiting for parts to repair the gearbox and that could take a week or two as mail delivery here is kinda really bad.

At least I have internet reception here. Telstra is the only company that works here so my optus phone isn't much good to me at all.

I will send an email or two and get in touch with those interested when I know our schedule once our probs as sorted out and we know roughly when we will get to Darwin.

The Kimberly trip could now take 6 to 8 weeks or so once we get going.

Lexx
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Capt'n

Hey Drew,

I could still be at Elcho Island then depending on how long it takes to get parts for the gearbox ... I have my own boat and will be heading up into Asia once the Kimberly trip is over myself.

I think the trades are here already, sure seems like it sitting here.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Sailing Practitioner

Hi lex
well Echo is is not to bad a place but good luck on the mail
If anything i can do Darwin side txt me on 0459356088 I think a barge is leaving Monday night for grove and will pass you
bugger thought i may catch a break with the trades this year oh well better service the iron sail and stick some foam on the ceiling another fun gulf crossing coming on......

I will departing wed 5th and should pass you if you are still there around 10th if you need anything

Drew
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Capt'n

Thanks for the offer Drew, its much appreciated but once the gearbox is apart on monday we will know exactly what we need and it will be airmailed to us from Brisbane, there is mail service here although not very good.

I reckon we are pretty right for most everything else, just have to hurry up and wait for a while. I hear the fishing is good here a bouts so might give that a try tomorrow.

Lexx
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Sailing Practitioner

Yes Fishing there is pretty good you should have plenty to eat
well you know when I will be passing if you need anything
Have fun
Oh if you can convince the trades to slow down be apreciated
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Capt'n

Hi Meredith, I sent you an email a week or more ago but received no response ...
Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Pheasants Nest

Howdy there,

Listen I've just been flicking through the threads here and noticed both you Lexx and Drew are heading to Indonesia this season and wondered when you might be departing Darwin?
I am a 25 year old teacher/musician/artisan from the Southern Highlands NSW, as it is I'm planning a world randonneur from Australia to Europe first stop Indonesia/East Timor. So if there is space for a cycling troubador on deck then I'd love to hear from you 0423588809.

Kindest Regards,
Aaron Wales.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #13
Capt'n

Hi Aaron,

At this point in time I have no idea when I will be departing for Asia... got to get to darwin first, then do the Kimberly trip then back to Darwin and sort out things for the trip to Asia... right now thats months away and the longer range plan

One day at a time but eventually we will get there.

Lexx
Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
Sailing Practitioner

Hi Aaron, i am going the other way to Lex I am going west to east coast against the trades and down a bit and exiting to go around PNG to malasyia then to Thailand.
I like doing things differantly
Old 05-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #15
Ensign

Home Port: Pheasants Nest

Hello again,

At the minute I am in the Southern Highlands of NSW making last preparations for my sojourn. Looks like I'll be sailing over to Groote Eylandt and cycling through Arnhem Land to Darwin arriving late June, then onwards to Indonesia (which is the part I need help with). It would be wonderful to sail the Kimberlys with you Lexx, if it worked out that way? However linking up with Drew's on the East coast doesn't sound like a bad option either?

Kindest Regards,
Aaron Wales.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Ensign

Home Port: BIRSBANE
Default Interested too

Hello Lex

My name is Michelle, I am fit and active, have done blue water cruising (albeit a number of years ago now) - would love to explore the remote Kimberley Coast - has always been a dream - not yet fulfilled. Currently live on North Stradbroke Island - could be ready to join you in Darwin as from 22 June if that ties in with your plans - I am a happy, easy going person who loves life!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Capt'n

Hi Michelle,

You can email me at lexx (underscore) aa at yahoo dot com dot au

Lexx
Old 05-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
Sailing Practitioner

Hey Lex will be lifting anchor on the 30th if you are still at Echo should pass by in around 5 days
If you need anything from Darwin let me know
hope you are getting your gearbox together Ok
Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
Capt'n

Hi Drew,

The parts I need to fix the gearbox were Australia Post Air Express posted last Thursday so hopefully we will have them in a few days... it will only take a few hours to reassemble the gearbox and reinstall it then we will be on our way. Who knows what date we will actually leave here but hopefully in the next week to 10 days then we are going to spend about 10 to 12 days coast hopping to Darwin. We would like to arrive on or before the 15th of June.

Might even see you on the way somewhere ... I can't think of anything we need from Darwin at this stage but really appreciate your offer.

fair winds,

Lexx
Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #20
Sailing Practitioner

Hi lex
well sing out if you do
by the sounds of it i figure we may see each other around port Ess I do tend to hang out there for a few days while i work out what way I will jump
I am really considering this year to maybe jump off from the top of Croker straight for Thrusday Is looking at the weather patterns and the trades and get my bashing over with
Ialso have heaps of time so i am also considering the chicken run around but have ever done it I know it can be rather choppy down in the gulf but can find very few that have done it so info a little scarce as i would not mind seeing it down there ever done that way?
Like being a bit differant rather then just go to grove and jump some times good to mix it up
Had a chat with a few guys i know from border protection who headed out yesterday they are expecting a bit of bad weather in about a week there having fun with arrivals one even made it to Port Ess the other day they jumped from the ship and swam and then went thru the mangroves to the airstrip and waited lol
anyway hope you are enjoying echo