Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Crew wanted - Hawaii to remote South Pacific

I am currently anchored off Hilo in the big island of Hawaii. I will be here until next spring, after cyclone season, when it is safe to head down to the South Pacific. The route I am planning on taking will emphasize the less visited island groups and will avoid the beaten path or "milk run." There still are a handful of islands that through a combination of luck and circumstance have managed to retain some semblance of a traditional culture and not be completely dominated by westernization. These destinations do not have airports, have infrequent supply ship visits and experience few other yachts. I have been to one in 2008 in the Santa Cruz group in the eastern Solomons and had a fantastic experience. I have done a lot of research and my guess is that there are less than five other islands left with traditional Polynesian or Micronesian culture with the majority being between Micronesia and the Solomons. Of course, everywhere has had an impact, but it isn't all completely gone yet... In the past year I managed a southern route through the south pacific visiting places like Pitcairn and the Australs but despite their physical remoteness, the culture and mindset of the inhabitants was quite familiar.
I was thinking of going due south to Tokelau and threading a course through Kiribati and Tuvalu first before targeting the "remote" list. Final destination could be a loop back up to the Marshalls or a dash across the top of PNG towards SE Asia. One idea I had was to head down to western Australia. There is some flexibility and there would be an opportunity to get off sooner somewhere in Melanesia if it was needed.

I am looking for one crew person to join me. One of the reasons why these islands get so few yachts is because they are far out of the way and are not the easiest destinations to deal with. No anchorages, tough passes, etc.. I normally single hand but it would be far easier to have someone on board to help out. For example, an island that doesn't have an anchorage could be dealt with by standing off and taking turns going ashore - something I couldn't do alone. Sailing experience is not necessary but an adventurous, low maintenance, off the grid attitude is a must. The boat is a 35ft mono hull with a minimalist (AKA purist) approach to cruising. Boat and skipper have logged over 50,000 miles in the last six years which includes a circumnavigation (below Africa and Panama canal). Share expenses, including the cost of a couple pieces of safety gear for the trip (contact me for details).

You need to be in Hawaii or are going to be soon so that you can come and check things out. This is why I am posting this early. My experience has taught me that there is no substitute for this! No crew decisions or guarantees can be made over email. This isn't an advert for just a simple ten or twelve day passage where if things don't work out, you can just be patient and ride it out. In fact, there would be inter island cruising within Hawaii first as it is pretty clear, or should be, that it isn't wise to head off on a multi week passage to a destination that doesn't have an airport if you aren't sure that you are up for the trip!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Welcome, good luck and I hope you will keep us posted.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Vancouver

Hello Captain Jonas,
I sent You a private message and two messages via email.
Good Luck with Hope to hear from You soon.
Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Muscle Rev Xtreme

Home Port: delhi
Vessel Name: Anil kumar

good luck for your expedition see you soon.......
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Kona, Hawaii

Hey Lucid Salt,

I suppose you've already found your crew and headed south. If not, I'm a 29 year old strong male living in Kona and very interested in the trip. I have some experience only on smaller boats, but have a huge unquenchable desire for adventure and your trip sounds like the kind of mission I would be interested in. I'm a strong waterman with a good humor and spirit. I've been to Palau but would be interested in going to the more remote places you've mentioned. Let me know if you are still around and I can drive over to Hilo to meet you.

Aloha,
Nickles
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Paris

Hello Lucid Salt,

My name is Adrien, i am currently in French Polynesia trying to find my way to Australia or New Zealand. If you need a crew while you are there do not hesitate to contact me, i am currently in Gambiers Islands but might be heading to Tahiti soon. I have previous sail experience as i have crewed in a boat from Panama to Gambiers Islands so if you are interested, do not hesitate to contact me and i ll be glad to move to wherever you would need me to be.

Regards,

Adrien
Old 11-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Maui
Default South Pacific Voyage

Hey Adrien,
My name is Bryden Summers. I am Canadian but have been working on a farm here in Hawaii since August. I have no experience on boats but if you would have me I'd love to take the challenge. I am hardworking, fast learning and open for anything you have mentioned. Get back to me if you are interested and we can talk more details.
Thanks, Bryden
Old 11-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Bryden, this post is over 2 1/2 years old. I'm pretty sure he's gone by now.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Villesse (go)

I am a pensioner with great taste of the sea and so much time available. I spent most of life Among the ships having had a business selling and repairing electrical apparatus on board. My duties on board could be: 1st mate or cook. Languages: Italian German English and a little bit of Portuguese.Have no problems of time or distance. Have a driver's license without limits for sail and motor. More information is available on request. Thanks - -
Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #10
aloha

Home Port: Hawaii
Vessel Name: vaimana

Aloha I am looking for crew call me Adam in Kona 326 4744 mahalo

Tags
crew wanted, hawaii, pacific, south pacific