The Draken Harald Harfagre was launched last summer. She is the largest Viking ship replica built in modern times 35m long and 7.5 m wide. One single square sail of 300 sq m. - so large that nobody has sailed with a single square sail as big as this for over 800 years. This summer we are learning how to sail Draken on extended tours along the Norwegian coast from her home in Haugesund. We need some volunteers to join us for a minimum of 6 weeks...people with some sailing experience. We will teach you how to sail with a single square sail....a unique opportunity to do something different. Next year we plan to sail from Norway to Istanbul and in 2015 from Norway to the USA and down the Eastern seaboard.
1. Draken Harald Harfagre, Haugesund, Norway
2. Viking ship replica. 35m and about 70 tons
3. Owner not aboard
4. Professional skipper
5. 14 trained core crew plus 12 volunteer crew
6. No children
8. No pets
9. Haugesund, Norway
10. Haugesund, Norway
11. From 1 July to 22 September 2013. Minimum 6 weeks within these dates
12. A series of day sails up to extended voyages within Norwegian waters.
13. Expected destination of trip: Could be anywhere depending on winds...Lofoten?
14. All sailing duties
15. Some sailing experience needed
16. Food and accommodation provided by owner, travel costs paid by owner.