Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Den Haag
Default Experienced Advanced Sailing Skipper Needed for Bali to Malaysia Sept '12

Bali to Thailand/Malaysia Sailing in September 2012.....

Need an experienced (advanced) sailor to sail a 40 foot sloop (Standfast 40) from Bali Harbour to western Thailand/Malaysia in September with 1 other experienced sailor (55) and 1 or 2 other crew...

Owner not on board, 2 members close friends of owner based in Holland.

Boat is currently based in Bali Harbour and Penang Malaysia is the final destination. Duration of journey to be determined by the group.

Knowledge of Indonesian and Malaysian anchorages and passages an asset...

Age range 30 to 60....

Important: looking for someone spiritual, into healthy living and eating, respect for the environment and sharing with others.
We are using this voyage to design future programs for the spiritually-minded tourist.

Marine mechanical experience preferred.

added by moderator (info via email from skipper): We will share equally the cost of food/water for the duration of the 4-week trip. The actual cost will depend on what the group wants as far as food etc... Perhaps 5 to 10 Euro per day might be reasonable estimate.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, you ask for an advanced sailor. Are you asking for a skipper or will one of the other friends be taking on that role? If you are asking for a skipper, then would not this be a delivery rather than a cruise? As you will be aware, a skipper is totally responsible for the vessel, crew and any legalities arising from its operation. You may want to clarify this as I'm not sure I'd be comfortable taking on legal responsibility for a vessel and crew and then having to pay for that privilege.

Fair winds,

Mico

Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Mico, yes to be clear we are looking for a Skipper position on a cruising basis as there is no critical date to reach Malaysia/Thailand.

The position is not paid but the owner is willing to offset flight costs etc.

Thanks for the feedback, I rushed to post the ad yesterday....
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hi,

I was wondering why doesn't the 55 year old experienced sailor you have take on the role of skipper for this trip.

You are looking at a voyage of over 1500 sea miles and taking a month or so in time ... you expect to attract a skipper and expect him to contribute between 150 and 300 Euro. Hmmm even at my low rates quoted below I would require $3000 AU on the mile rate and the voyage would be considerably less than 30 days or $6000 on the day rate, plus of course airfares etc.

I know you are looking at a trip in Asis and not Australia but the below information may be a good indicator for you.

As a delivery skipper I usually charge $2 Au per nautical mile plus airfares and onboard expenses, (basic food etc), days in Port or days spent on repairs etc are usually in addition to the mile rate as well . Alternatively its $200 per day for the skipper and $100 per day for each crew member I provide. There also needs to be financial provision for when things go wrong, cost of breakdown or gear failures etc during the trip. I have delivered yachts from Darwin, Cairns, the Whitsundays etc to various points in Australia for the past 20 plus years.

I also at times skipper locally for others at a rate of $160 per day.

I agree that a skipper is totally responsible for the vessel, crew and any legalities arising from its operation and I would not agree to sail someone else's yacht on what seems to be a delivery without reasonable remuneration.

The cost of vessel delivery depends on many variables such as ...

The size of the vessel and it's condition
The length and challenges of the trip
The technological and mechanical complexity, or lack thereof, of the vessel
The number of crew required
The amount of pre- and post-delivery management required
Pre-trip survey, slipping if required for repairs or installation of equipment, anti-fouling etc

... all need to be considered and discussed.

Contracts for cruiser or yacht delivery on a per-mile basis is generally by negotiation as are daily rates. A major factor effecting per-mile rates for delivery is the journey itself, to use the Panama Canal as an example, transit allocations may vary by days.

Typical industry rates for local coastal deliveries in Australia runs from around $300 a day for a skipper, and $150 a day for crew, alternatively the per mile rate is about $3.50 per nautical mile. Obviously this will increase as higher qualifications are required.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Lex
Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Lex,

Thanks for the info about paid delivery. Believe it or not, I know some US sailors who would jump at the opportunity to skipper this trip (if they're not already doing something else). Qualified skippers w/o USCG licenses but years of experience. There are always folks willing to take on these responsibilities and whose egos won't allow them to be merely "crew" but rather they want to answer to no one.

You get what you should expect, though. The ego which demands to be skipper is the same problem ego which can cause a miserable trip for others.

It would be much better for the experienced sailor who is friend of the owner to take on the role of skipper, indeed. Just because one is "skipper" doesn't mean that one has to be expert in everything oneself afterall.

Best of luck for the trip.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hi Redbopeep,

Ego can be really nasty. I sometimes skipper deliveries and sometimes crew. I work with one or two other sailors here, all 3 of us own our own cruising yachts and all of us have many thousands of sea miles behind us and each of us is used to being in command and also crewing. Because we retired early we can afford the luxury of doing our own thing and we have a love of sailing so get to do a number of deliveries each year.

I just knocked back a delivery from here in Port Douglas to the Brisbane ... worst time of the year to head south, very nervous owner wanting to come along and 2 others who had never sailed before in a yacht that needs constant attention as things seem to keep failing ... convinced him to wait at least till October, work on the yacht a bit more and to take on another experienced crew not the two "buddies" he had lined up.

I hope Shivan finds what he is looking for.

Lexx
Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for your responses..... the owner has decided that I will take on the role of Captain for the trip.

For many reasons, the nightmare of having a boat in Bali makes it very difficult to bring in a captain at this time as the paperwork to depart has to be submitted 4 to 6 weeks prior to leaving with suitable info and passports.

Also, the bottom needs a major inspection as the boat ended up on the beach a couple of years ago and has been at anchor ever since....

Here's a video oh Kolibrie being pulled off the beach:

Between a rock and a hard place: sailing boat crash... - YouTube

Thanks again!

And yes that is my real name

Tags
malaysia