Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-16-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Dallas
Default Join Us On Our Retirement Cruise

We are a couple in the final stages of planning our great retirement adventure. We purchased our 43' ketch 3 years ago. She is in the final stages of major renovations in Kemah, TX. We are making her safe and comfortable for a long and wonderful journey.

We are looking for compatible, experienced people to join us. Helping to crew and share in expenses and fun! We offer you the ability to travel the world by sailboat and spend no more per month than normal living expenses.

Our anticipated itinerary is to start with training and shorter sails beginning in May 2016, starting with adventures along the Gulf, east coast and Cuba. Then heading south for distant shores in November towards the Caribbean, Central and South America and onward. Specific ports to be collectively determined.

Let's talk, meet, see if our dream is your dream too!

Old 01-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

I am a retired electrical engineer, previous a boat owner, and experienced sailor.

I am sound of mind, body, and finances. My recent blue water experience includes Guatemala to the Pacific coast of Costa Rica via the Panama Canal on a 30 ft junk and Maryland to Bermuda and St Thomas on a 48 ft cutter.

There is a good chance that I will rejoin the cutter in St Thomas soon, but that voyage will end in Texas some time this year. Those plans are still tentative and preliminary. If we are compatible, I would be willing to travel to any port to join you.

Tell me more about yourselves, your experience, and your vessel.

You can learn more about me from my blog thisoldsailor.com.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:04 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Dallas
Default join us on our Retirement Cruise

Thank you for your interest in sailing with us. I will give you more information about us, the boat, and the trip.

We are a retired couple living in Dallas, with our boat in a marina in Kemah Texas (between Houston and Galveston). Pam is 63 and in excellent health. Rockne, just turned 59, is currently suffering from kidney disease. His son has volunteered his kidney and have qualified to donate. We expect the surgery in February with six weeks of recovery. I am strong, energetic, and very capable.

We purchased our 43' Endeavor ketch 3 years ago in Trinidad, and sailed her back to Florida, then across the Gulf to Texas. That has been our longest journey so far. We have both been sailing for 4 years. For the past year we have been renovating the boat. New engine, electrical panel, muffler, batteries and solar energy, navigational system, new sails, and a whole lot of other not as major items. Doing our best to make it a safe and comfortable sailing vessel. The boat comfortably sleeps 6 to 8 people. We anticipate completion by May.

We want to build a crew of 4 to 6 people. In addition to our master bedroom/bathroom, the additional sleeping quarters includes a 2nd private bedroom with a double v-berth bed with a 2nd bathroom/shower, 2 bunk beds, and the salon also has a couch that pulls out to a double bed. We determined the easiest, most efficient way for us financially is to rent each bed space. The cost would include all operating costs. Food and docking fees would be a shared expense between us all. We are asking $2000 per month for the private room, and $750 a month for each of the bunks. We prefer not putting anyone in the salon, but it is possible. The cockpit is 9' x 12', with a fully enclosed bimini with windows and screens, and also can sleep 2.

We would like to set sail in May or June heading toward the western Caribbean until after hurricane season, then head to Cuba and the island chain. Then onward toward South America.

We read your blog. Very interesting, you write quite well. Glad you know as much as you do, it appears you know what it takes to be a good crew member. The question is, can you play dominoes!? Let us know if you are still interested, and let's talk more.

We are looking for a good team, good companions, good times!

Rockne Ragsdale and Pam Winters
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Rockne and Pam, it sounds as though you have a big cruising future. At Cruiser Log we fully support cruisers who seek to share expenses. We don't support fully funded cruises. Normally, expenses which would be met by the cruising owners if there was no crew on board would continue to be met by the owners. As additional crew come on board, they offer work in return for lodging. Shared expenses therefore would be for food and drink and, as such, would vary from time to time.

The problem with renting rooms is that you become a de facto business. In such an event you need the appropriate insurances, survey clearance and all the other bits and bobs which go with chartering.

I don't want to rain on your parade, and hope this is helpful in guiding you toward your cruising goals.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Panama City
Default Want to join a boat crew

I'm a 41-year-old male. Been traveling since the age of 17

I don't have any sailing experience. But, I'm eager to learn.

I'm interested in joining a boat as a crew-member. Preferably something long-term (at least 2 or 3 months, but preferably up to 1 or 2 years)

About me : born and raised in Helsinki, Finland.

Been traveling since the age of 17.

By profession, I'm a Software Engineer. Been doing this for 18 years now.

I love nature. I love the outdoors. Most of all, though, I love to travel. I've been to a lot of places (a few times for work, but mostly for fun and sight-seeing). I've been all over North, South, and Central America, Europe, China, India, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, South Korean, Singapore, Japan, and Australia.

I am also yet to explore some a few other places in Asia, but that's in the works

My second-favorite hobby is cooking. International cuisine is my passion. I love to be creative in the kitchen. :=))

My favorite cuisine is Asian. In particular, Thai and Korean (last year, I spent 3 months in Korea, learning how to cook their dishes. I couldn't get enough of it )

I speak 5 languages: English, French, Russian, Finnish and Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewo View Post
We are a couple in the final stages of planning our great retirement adventure. We purchased our 43' ketch 3 years ago. She is in the final stages of major renovations in Kemah, TX. We are making her safe and comfortable for a long and wonderful journey.

We are looking for compatible, experienced people to join us. Helping to crew and share in expenses and fun! We offer you the ability to travel the world by sailboat and spend no more per month than normal living expenses.

Our anticipated itinerary is to start with training and shorter sails beginning in May 2016, starting with adventures along the Gulf, east coast and Cuba. Then heading south for distant shores in November towards the Caribbean, Central and South America and onward. Specific ports to be collectively determined.

Let's talk, meet, see if our dream is your dream too!