Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Vilnius
Default Looking for adventure (long term)

Hello,
I'm 26 years male, at the moment living in the UK. I want to change my life, and was thinking to buy my own yacht to live aboard and travel around the world. But it wouldn't be smart cause I don't have any experience in the sea. I have decided first to get experience and just then do such huge decision like buying yacht and sailing on my own.
I hope to find some nice people who would take me to their crew and could teach me everything about sailing what I need to know.
I would want to save as much money as possible during this adventure, but I have some savings, so can take care of my own expenses.

I would need some time to sort my life before leaving everything behind, sell the car, motorbike, cancel house rent contract, quit the job etc....

Email me with your ideas, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

What you have is basically a good plan -- try the sailing life on other peoples' boats before committing to your own. Some suggestions for you:

• Save as much money as you can before you go. There is little opportunity to earn money while travelling. Make sure you have a fair budget.
  • Decide on a start date and work towards it. Maybe that's a year from now, maybe two, whatever suits you. You are young and have plenty of time.
  • Decide on a jumping-off point, e.g. Mediterranean, Gibraltar, Caribbean, West Coast USA, etc, and go there. Research the times of year that people will be leaving the area and go there in plenty of time. A skipper will want to know you a bit before inviting you on board for a long stay.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprastutis View Post
Hello,
I'm 26 years male, at the moment living in the UK. I want to change my life, and was thinking to buy my own yacht to live aboard and travel around the world. But it wouldn't be smart cause I don't have any experience in the sea. I have decided first to get experience and just then do such huge decision like buying yacht and sailing on my own.
I hope to find some nice people who would take me to their crew and could teach me everything about sailing what I need to know.
I would want to save as much money as possible during this adventure, but I have some savings, so can take care of my own expenses.

I would need some time to sort my life before leaving everything behind, sell the car, motorbike, cancel house rent contract, quit the job etc....

Email me with your ideas, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.
My girlfriend and I are doing exactly that right now. We are currently in Caribbean looking at cheap boats after crossing Atlantic via canaries and cape Verde. Get in touch to chat more.