Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
nhb
Ensign

Adventurous, Outgoing, Environmentalist, Traveler, Hitch-hiker, Vagabond, Explorer - call me what you will.

**Seeking boat passage from India->EAST (Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore). Inexperienced but willing to do whatever it takes: cooking/cleaning/entertaining/babysitting/night watches/painting/ repairs etc etc **

*have worked in kitchens for over 3 years

*limited experience sailing small >10m boats

*extensive outdoors/canoe experience in multiple countries/continenets

My name is Taylor and I am a 24 year old Canadian hitch-hiking around the world. I left from Rome in 2008 and hitch-hiked through the Balkans, Turkey (side trips to Syria and Northern Iraq), Georgia, Azerbaijan - ferry across the Caspian Sea - Kazakhstan, China (to Shanghai and then back across Tibet/Taklamakan Desert), Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan (Had to fly Kabul-Peshawar), Pakistan, India, Nepal and back in India a 2nd time on a six month visa.

I am now trying to get to Australia where I already have a 1 year 'Working-Holiday' Visa. I am seeking to go to SE Asia and from there to go south. Ideally I would like to spent a bit of time exploring SE Asia before heading to Australia.

Currently in Kerala, but willing to travel to any port in India

That is the present.

For the past, growing up on Vancouver Island on Canada's west coast I have always had a strong affinity for nature - whether mountain biking, canoeing, hiking, camping, beach combing or simply being outdoors.

10 days after high school graduation I left on a 1 way plane ticket for Australia. I was 17. I have not lived in Canada since, only returning for visits. Now my things are packed in boxes in the basement, my room re-painted and apparently my mother now rents my room out to young co-workers who are my age. (so if I did go home suddenly I would find a young lady occupying my room )

During university I slowly realized that I did not want a 9-5 existence - I was on the 'right track' - getting a job as a research assistant for a prestigious research group on campus, on my way to getting my name in my first scientific journal - then I realized, is this my dream?

My dream is to travel around the world. So I started working towards that, saving every cent and making my first small trips.

Now after hitch hiking 90,000km+ with more than 2000 rides (including a horse!) I am an experienced overland traveler. But not by sea...

Why I want to go by boat:

Growing up my bedroom window always looked out over the ocean. I could see the small waters of the Straight of Georgia (Pacific) and the small islands in between Vancouver Island and the Mainland. During the winter I could watch the spray as waves crested over the rocky shores of the distant islands. Many summers were spent beach combing, canoeing and sailing either with my dad or with Scouts.

And of course my grandfather gave me his Seamans Manual from WW2. My mom had to confiscate it from me when I was 7 years old because I was staying up to late reading it. There was just something fascinating to me, that drew me in completely, reading about the knots, different procedures and of course all the different flags that the ships would fly.

So part of me has always yearned for the sea, and of course to travel. Now, I have traveled a lot by land (90,000km+ hitch hiked) - so now I am really feeling the urge to go by sea. And not just a ferry (I have riden most of the western ferries in the world, Pacific Northwest, New Zealand, around Europe, across the Caspian) but to be on the open sea. Have the sky overhead and the endless horizon stretching before me...

Read more about me and my travels on the following:

www.couchsurfing.org/people/xnothingxheldxbackx

www.aeonity.com/nhb - not up to date!!

http://hitchwiki.org...hingxheldxbackx

THANK YOU!

-Taylor

taylorjbooth (at) g mail

Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Taylor,

As you are presently in Kerala, your best bet would be to go to Cochin (Kochi), as it is here that yachts maybe stopping in transit on their way to Thailand or Malaysia. Because the possible anchorages are fairly spread out - might be an idea to check with customs as to the whereabouts of any visiting yachts. There is also a small marina worth checking.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
nhb
Ensign

Just to update -

I found a boat from Kerala but the timing did not work out. Now I have to fly Kolkata-Bangkok. But I will still be looking to go by boat from SE Asia to Australia in 2011! From March to May I would probably be wanting to leave for downunder.

-Taylor